Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new bike... new problem: coolant related... i think

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • new bike... new problem: coolant related... i think

    hey recently bought an 08 ZX6R

    Okay... ive noticed that when i turn the bike on theres white smoke coming out of the exhaust which dissappears after a 3 minute warm up... now i didnt think that was an issue but i checked my coolant reservoir which is on the left hand side on my bike (if this isnt the coolant reservoir feel free to call me a dickhead)... i believe its empty... but not only that the gap between the fairings u look through to see the coolant resovoir has some sort of residue on it (like cordial thats ran down the fairing a bit and dried).

    So i think my bike has an issue (FUCK), can anyone confirm yes theres a problem and tell me a estimate that this will cost (if theres a problem)?

    cheers

  • #2
    its hard to see if there is coolant in the res. check with a bright torch.

    i'm guessing when you first turn the bike on there is no smoke. then once it's warm theres a bit of white smoke and then like you say it goes away. could be condensation in the exhaust burning off once the exhaust is warm enough. will often happen if you start when cold after not using it for a few days.

    from my experience if it was burning coolant it would get worse when hot not go away.

    if there is a problem take to dealer - fix for free.

    Comment


    • #3
      Isnt your bike still in warranty?

      If its just white smoke when the bike is cold, it should be fine, its just condensation in the exhaust.
      If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

      Comment


      • #4
        Could be head/head gasket, pop off the radiator cap (WHEN COLD), start bike, does the coolant bubble/spit?

        Comment


        • #5
          Open the cap to your coolant reservoir, does it smell like exhaust/have fumes in it?

          Comment


          • #6
            ill def try it when i get home...

            Comment


            • #7
              If you don't want it i'll have it.

              Comment


              • #8
                if your overflow reservoir is empty, it means the radiator has sucked it dry- so check your radiator level (no doubt you will need to top it up letting some overflow into the reservoir) which you can do at the same time as you perform the test lee suggested
                Originally posted by Bendito
                If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by g0zer View Post
                  if your overflow reservoir is empty, it means the radiator has sucked it dry- so check your radiator level which you can do at the same time as you perform the test lee suggested
                  the coolants gotta be going somewhere though..

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    true

                    although i often find my reservoirs empty.. i guess sometimes they vent with enough violence to blast most of the reservoir out the overflow line? i dont change fluids as often as i should, its probably evaporation :p
                    Originally posted by Bendito
                    If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Any update?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        yeah... when i took it home i had a proper look see, it wasnt coolant, it was a mixture of oil and fuel. i got it checked and it was a stuffed gasket, apparently according to the kwaka ppl the 07-08 ninjas had a problem with them and there was some sort of factory recall and repair on them free of charge organised by the kwaka comps themselves. But yea all fixed after a week of waiting for the piece to come in and replace... shes all good now

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: new bike... new problem: coolant related... i think

                          Oil mixing with fuel, how does that work? Any idea what gasket?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Kingkezza View Post
                            Oil mixing with fuel, how does that work? Any idea what gasket?
                            would have to be the head gasket mate. oil leaks out the galleries into the water jackets or vice versa

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by blitz View Post
                              yeah... when i took it home i had a proper look see, it wasnt coolant, it was a mixture of oil and fuel. i got it checked and it was a stuffed gasket, apparently according to the kwaka ppl the 07-08 ninjas had a problem with them and there was some sort of factory recall and repair on them free of charge organised by the kwaka comps themselves. But yea all fixed after a week of waiting for the piece to come in and replace... shes all good now
                              Next stop kawasaki for me, get mine checked! i get a little moisture out of the exhaust in the morning but everything else seems ok. will get it checked anyway
                              I know i cant spell, please don't feel the need to correct me

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X