Bad fuel from a new servo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad fuel from a new servo?

I filled up with 98 at the brand new Caltex on the cnr of Lord and Parry in East Perth late last week (first day it was open). Now, 10k's later, the bike feels like it's running on one cylinder, it's clattering and sluggish like a big donk thumper and it's farting and popping on the overrun.

Could it be bad fuel/water in the mix?

I was a bit worried about using petrol from a newly filled storage tank, but figured it might actually be "cleaner" than any other around.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death..." - Hunter S. Thompson

Probably a good chance of condensation, especially if the tank's been there a while before the servo opened.
    If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

So they have finally redone the servo, good doogs

I've have a few crap batches of fuel lately, the 750's been running like a pig as well

Comment

Yeah, the servo looks great - clean, shiny, plenty of helmet space on the bowsers, brand new air hose, etc. Just a shame about the fuel quality, assuming that's the problem.

Oh well, after a good search on the forum, I'm gonna try the half of cup of meths trick to help the water find it's way out of the tank...
        "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death..." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Redback View Post
          Yeah, the servo looks great - clean, shiny, plenty of helmet space on the bowsers, brand new air hose, etc. Just a shame about the fuel quality, assuming that's the problem.

Oh well, after a good search on the forum, I'm gonna try the half of cup of meths trick to help the water find it's way out of the tank...
          i got this stuff called shell water finding paste, in which you apply it on a tongue depressor or simillar, dip it into your fuel and if there is water it changes colour maybe try something similar to help troubleshoot
          Master of the missed signals

Comment

If it's a really bad batch of fuel then I would be emptying the tank and starting again.

Comment

Never fill up from a service station that is new, never fill up from a service station that has just had its tanks filled if you can help it. The former because the tanks will have been filled recently and also there will be all sorts of crap still in the system that the filters won't fully remove - including water. Filling a servo's tanks churns up the sediment and water on the bottom so you are more likely to get contaminants in the fuel until it settles.

E.g. - The Caltex at the bottom of Greenmount Hill is having some work done - they roped off at moment - hence won't go there for a few days after it's reopened just in case.

FWIW
              Supported and kept fit by sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hostilemonk View Post
                Never fill up from a service station that is new, never fill up from a service station that has just had its tanks filled if you can help it.
                Yeah, lesson learned the hard way. I've always been an early adopter (and sometimes get burned for it).

I think I'll take Polony's advice and drain the contents and start afresh.

Comment

Doesn't metho through the tank help get rid of moisture?

Comment

Originally posted by Tannhauser View Post
                    Doesn't metho through the tank help get rid of moisture?
                    Works fine in cars. Can't see it being a problem in bikes really...but then I could also be wrong.

I'd drain it and refill elsewhere.
                    Originally posted by Amac
                    suck me on the hat you mole fucker, steroid affected me cock

Comment

Originally posted by Hostilemonk View Post
                      Filling a servo's tanks churns up the sediment and water on the bottom so you are more likely to get contaminants in the fuel until it settles.
                      i've thought about this a bit and concluded it was false.

the pipes from the tank are going to be sucking from the bottom, so if all the sediment (if there even is any) is stirred up then the petrol you get will be cleaner.

nb: this was all concluded with no hard evidence or fact checking

Comment

Originally posted by JamesSpelt View Post

the pipes from the tank are going to be sucking from the bottom, so if all the sediment (if there even is any) is stirred up then the petrol you get will be cleaner.

dont forget that when the levels are low, there will be more air in the tanks, which means more moisture, so that when its refilled the moisture will collect along with and sludge/dust/crap along the walls too so that will all get stirred around and im 90% sure they would leave a gap at the bottom to try and avoid this from when it settles
                        Master of the missed signals

Comment

Originally posted by JamesSpelt View Post

They don't take the fuel from right at the bottom of the tank - the fuel stays clear of crud etc as it generally settles letting the fuel clear. Here is a pic of a modern tank - and some installed here are not so modern - the space at the bottom is, in part, to allow for accumulation of crud.

Supported and kept fit by sigpic

Comment

ICT do a fuel conditioner"F10", used to be called "fuel set", works really well at removing moisture from fuel, we sell it at auto one otherwise you should be able to get it or something similar from most auto shops
                            I know i cant spell, please don't feel the need to correct me

Comment

Working...
                            X