Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake pads dragging on disc

Hey guys,
    Recently had my front brake pads replaced and now i've got a constant noise coming from the front. The pads are touching the disc (yes, without the lever pulled in ). I know this because the disc is really hot after riding for a few mins without touching the front brakes, and when up on the front stand the tyre doesn't spin freely. I also notice while cornering

I've pulled them out and taken a look. everything seems fine - other than the retaining pins look a little worn. So... Could it be too much brake fluid / pressure? Are the discs getting stuck on the pins and not returning properly?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Pads are designed to run on the discs...

Can you spin the front wheel?

Comment

it could be many things, who changed your pads. If they didn't clean the grime off the pistons and just pushed them back into the calipers, then they will grab on the seals and stick on. you need to clean the crap off before you push the pads back, use something like scotchbrite to do this.
      Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

As above but also new pads combined with an over full brake fluid reservoir will also do this.

let the pressure out of the reservoir by giving it a quick bleed has fixed this problem for me before. When you have that sorted I would be taking the pads out and rubbing off the glaze on them too!

Comment

cool... wasn't sure if fluid may come into play. I've done all the other bits.

Cheers guys

Comment

Originally posted by Dejavu View Post
            As above but also new pads combined with an over full brake fluid reservoir will also do this.

let the pressure out of the reservoir by giving it a quick bleed has fixed this problem for me before. When you have that sorted I would be taking the pads out and rubbing off the glaze on them too!

Im confused??

Reservoir is just that, a reservoir.
            Not a pressure accumulator....

Comment

IME, Resevoirs are supposed to be airtight but there would still be enough back pressure to force fluid into it and overfill it when you force the pistons back into the calipers

Comment

you probably know this already, but just be careful when you're remove the excess fluid from the reservoir that you don't spill any as it melts paint.
                Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
                Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

just give the calipers a good clean on the inside where the pistons are. theres also 2 areas that need grease on the calipers (where the rubber stem slides into the rubber) i'm sure youll see it when you take the stock ones off.

Comment

Would you bleed from the top or bottom? ie. a bit out from the bottom (via a tube) or out of the reservoir (with a syringe)?

Comment

IME, Resevoirs are supposed to be airtight but there would still be enough back pressure to force fluid into it and overfill it when you force the pistons back into the calipers
                      The diaphragm is meant to make it airtight, but they can leak... all the reservoirs I have seen have a cutaway in the thread to allow for this. Rear brake reservoirs have a pinhole vent (I was really surprised when told of this)

Comment

I would bleed it from the furtherest away bleed nipple on one of the calipers for dumping excess brake fluid.

RGVlee, have you seen the reseviors on older style CBRs ie F4i that have the double screw caps?
                        they can hold an amazing amount of pressure inside of them and I often use this to my advantage when im playing with a half stuffed master cylinder.

Comment

Working...
                        X