Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a fixer-upper...

What would you suggest?

I want to learn a little more about motorcycle mechanics than how to change consumables and adjust the usual things that need it.

But with my bike being relatively new, and the only bike I have, I don't want to mess with it unnecessarily.

So I figure the best thing to do is buy the cheapest bike I can find and see if I can get it working again.

Thing is, even in this, I'm a decent way out of my depth - I've got no idea on what's likely to have parts available, what sort of bike to go for, how much I can expect to pay, and how to find something that is fixable (rather than, say, with a fucked engine).

I'm guessing a '70-'90 250 single would be my best bet?

So... suggestions?
    Originally posted by Dragunov-21
    If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

a 70's air-cooled single or twin would be a good start, nice and simple...

Honda CB250
    Suzuki GN250
    Yamaha XS250
    Yamaha SR250
    ...and plenty more

you could pick up a running model for 1k, give or take depending on condition...

Comment

Originally posted by Dragunov-21 View Post
      What would you suggest?

I want to learn a little more about motorcycle mechanics than how to change consumables and adjust the usual things that need it.

But with my bike being relatively new, and the only bike I have, I don't want to mess with it unnecessarily.

So I figure the best thing to do is buy the cheapest bike I can find and see if I can get it working again.

Thing is, even in this, I'm a decent way out of my depth - I've got no idea on what's likely to have parts available, what sort of bike to go for, how much I can expect to pay, and how to find something that is fixable (rather than, say, with a fucked engine).

I'm guessing a '70-'90 250 single would be my best bet?

So... suggestions?
      If you have someone to show you the bike you own is the best. Depending on what you want to do almost any internal combustion engine will do the job, lawn mower fire pump etc. Failing that and available on a budget is a cheap and nasty chinese pocket bike quad or pit bike. Although they might need a bit more than basic consumables.
      Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Do you have a local bike wrecker?
        If you do, go have a talk and explain what you want to do. Find out model of bike they consider common, and parts are cheap for.
        If you can get a working relationship with a second hand supplier it can be very handy.
        Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

Originally posted by Nero Diablo View Post
          If you have someone to show you the bike you own is the best. Depending on what you want to do almost any internal combustion engine will do the job, lawn mower fire pump etc. Failing that and available on a budget is a cheap and nasty chinese pocket bike quad or pit bike. Although they might need a bit more than basic consumables.

Chinese bikes are a consumable
          IM ALWAYS ON THE EDGE, ITS ONLY THE SHARPNESS THAT VARYS

Comment

The quokka is your friend here, Darkfibre is on the money here, first up get something where parts are common and cheap, I wouldn't go with something rare as you spend most of your time chasing spares.

DJ
            There are two questions in life.
            1:Which way do I go
            2:Whats the lap record.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyA View Post
              Chinese bikes are a consumable
              Exactly so if he fuerks it up no loss!
              Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

someone wispers 2 stroke??

Comment

Originally posted by Jamathi View Post
                  someone wispers 2 stroke??
                  2 stokes for a begginer? nah, while the engine is simpler, its harder to understand. 4 stroke the way to go.

although im lookin to do a similar thing with a 2 stoke myslef, i know enough bout 4s and nuthn bout 2s..
                  four wheels move the body
                  two wheels move the soul

Comment

Postie bike.
                    There are tons of spare parts for em
                    Last edited by Creme; 26-09-2009, 01:41 AM.
                    - Mike

Comment

An old 2 stroke dirt bike, early 90's. easy to work on, will teach you a bit and when you get it going will also help heaps with your riding and confidence.

Comment

Goddammit, I just posted and it didn't take...

And now it's been said for me =D

First off, thanks for the advice, guys.

Second, I figure that since I already have a 4T roadbike, I might as well round it out with a 2T dirtie.

So what sort of models are around?
                        If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

Comment

Hmmm... Thanks for the advice, I'll track down a proper wrecker tomorrow (last wrecker I went to was just a shed out the back of a harley dealership that sold old bunkies but no actual parts).

Now I've gotten to thinking... What about a 2T dirtbike?

Comment

Originally posted by Dragunov-21 View Post
                            Goddammit, I just posted and it didn't take...

And now it's been said for me =D

First off, thanks for the advice, guys.

Second, I figure that since I already have a 4T roadbike, I might as well round it out with a 2T dirtie.

So what sort of models are around?
                            As per my previous advice......
                            Find out what has cheap parts locally...
                            Any old XR250 or bigger around local to you ?
                            The best thing about doing up a trail bike is when you finish - you have a trail bike.

The cheapest way to do up a bike I have found is to buy a spare parts bike, its what I did with my FZR and its now what i'm doing with the XJ750's.
                            Buy two or three parts from a wrecker or new, and thats then thats what you pay for the complete parts bike.
                            Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

OHAI, DRAGUNOV!!!!

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
                              "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Working...
                              X