Carbon/Kryptonite Wheels - are they worth the $$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon/Kryptonite Wheels - are they worth the $$

Just wanting to know from people that have changed their wheels from standard to either carbon fibre or Magnesium compounds - was it worth the $3k+? I understand the standard alloy wheels arent exactly bricks. I'm not getting a set just curious what others think of them performance wise. Obviously better tip in and accel. but much difference/noticeable?

sigpic
    http://www.caschibye.it/page/curiosita.htm

Ask Jules_1972, I'm pretty sure he has some. I've heard they are great and would like to try some myself.
    When due process fails us, we really do live in a world of terror. — JC Denton

Comment

As i understand it because they are heaps lighter the gyroscopic forces are less so steering is a lot faster and responsive
      Wes

Comment

This is prob the best mod you can do to ya bike, it makes it better in many ways.

The bike steers better (less gyro as stated), the suspension works better (less unsprung weight that has to be controlled), better accel & braking (less wheel weight to accel/decel) plus less overall bike weight.

If they wern't so exxy it'd be mod #1 for any bike with pretentions of performance.

Can't abuse them like stock wheels tho.

.. and yes, Jules' bike steers amazingly well, I've only ridden it with the Magnesium wheels, so the Carbon ones he has now would make it stunning. It turns as well as my 600 racebike, if not better.

Originally posted by James086 View Post
        Ask Jules_1972, I'm pretty sure he has some. I've heard they are great and would like to try some myself.
        .. and thats Racer # 193 to y'all; my fabulous sponsors (who all do good shit) are: Graeme Fleming IT Consultants, Vision Image, Pacific Safety Wear, Excess Power Equipment, Pro Photo Booth

.. and according to Sean'o: 'get the Kwaka (never thought i would say that!)'

Comment

abuse them?
          Posted via Mobile Device

Comment

Riding over potholes, getting hit by rocks things like that will damage them easier than standard wheels. Like cracking your alloys on a car by stuffing up parallel parking.
            When due process fails us, we really do live in a world of terror. — JC Denton

Comment

They don't flex/bend like metal, so while extremely strong can still be damaged.
              .. and thats Racer # 193 to y'all; my fabulous sponsors (who all do good shit) are: Graeme Fleming IT Consultants, Vision Image, Pacific Safety Wear, Excess Power Equipment, Pro Photo Booth

.. and according to Sean'o: 'get the Kwaka (never thought i would say that!)'

Comment

I have a set of BST carbon rims on my SP-2 and they are awsome. The time you really notice the difference is on really quick changes of direction. You seem to be able to flick the bike from one way to the other. And yes you have to be careful you dont land heavy from a wheelie. Also not all bike shops will change a tire on a carbon rim. Not exactly sure why, something to do with the bead breaker i suppose?
                Why me? I was being overtaken when you had the radar on me!!!

Comment

We need Flamedance to post here as well. He put a set on his ZX12R.

The advantages are as smeghead said; less rotating mass so faster acceleration and braking as well as change of direction is easier, less unsprung mass so the suspension works better.
                  2006 Yamaha R1SP;
                  In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
                  Amen, brother. Amen.
                  My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

Yeah, Flamedance sold me on them after looking at his bike, however, until the exchange rate hits an all time high I might just keep drooling over his or wait till I have the chance to grab them whilst he’s not looking....

Originally posted by Hornet View Post
                    We need Flamedance to post here as well. He put a set on his ZX12R.

The advantages are as smeghead said; less rotating mass so faster acceleration and braking as well as change of direction is easier, less unsprung mass so the suspension works better.
                    User contains traces of nuts.

Comment

I got Carbon Fibre's on my bicycle and they're great for the reasons other mentioned plus they don't transmit vibrations like metal despite how rigid the stuff is; but I would'nt put them on my motor... One good knock can cause microfractures that you can't see and will result in complete failure.
                      [I]Maybe One Day.....Soon![/I]

Comment

Flamedance are you out there?
                        sigpic
                        http://www.caschibye.it/page/curiosita.htm

Comment

He sure is, he's like an astronaut

far out man!
                          For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                          For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Hehe drugs are good I'm out here somewhere
                            Firstly - The weight difference is huge! I didn't weigh them but the bst's with rubber on are probably less than half the weight of the stock rims.
                            Secondly - It's like riding a different bike! Really made me remember correct stopping cause if you don't you wobble around like a noob. First ride on them I found nice acceleration then turned my head to scope a hottie on the footpath and the bike followed quickly! If any of you have ridden a stock 12 you will know that they aren't that happy to turn fast.
                            I enquired about the rims shattering before purchase and was told that the current ones have been improved from the originals which did tend to shatter. They have more flex in them now and are rated stronger than the stocks.
                            Was it worth it? Hell yes! I love riding my bike more than ever before! Yes it's a big investment but it is so worth it. Without a doubt the single best mod I have done so far and short of adding a turbo or nos I dont think I will find a better all round performance improving mod.
                            Now I want to go for a ride - Damn you all for making me want what I can't have.

Comment

Good link for more info and specs. (not a plug)BlackStone Tek.
                              Guilty of the noob wobble myself at first. lol.
                              Why me? I was being overtaken when you had the radar on me!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X