Tool recommendations please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool recommendations please.

I know this has been covered from various angles, but I'm hoping someone knowledgeable will have a little patience with me here.

I'm looking to get myself some metric combo (ring+open-ender) spanners, and a socket set, as a start for my to-be set of mech tools.

I don't do a lot of work on my car/bike (I do all my own work where possible though), and am a poorish 1st year apprentice sparky.

That said, I want a "buy once, use forever" start to my toolbox, so I want to know what sort of brand/price/shop I should be looking at.

Ideally I suppose I'd go for Kinchrome - I recently saw a sweet deal on some stanley stuff, but after looking at them, they actually look a bit cheap/rough, and I think I'd regret it if I got them despite the lifetime warranty.

So unless anyone thinks I should head in a different direction, would I be better off looking in trade stores, hardware stores or online for some kinchrome gear?

And what size set should I be looking at for bike/small car mechanics?
    Originally posted by Dragunov-21
    If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

CGL
    Repco
    SuperCheap
    Sidchrome

All reasonable and lifetime warranty I have mainly sidchrome in my box from my trade days with abit of snap on and CGL stuff

All the above listed has lifetime replacement warranty so you should be fine.

If you are not in a hurry to buy check out the sales that tool shops have or trawl ebay as some good bargains pop up on there.

You should be able to get a decent spanner roll say 8mm - 19mm for around 150 bucks and dont forget with your trade you can claim it on tax.

Comment

As a first year apprentice sparky don't you have access to tools at trade price?

Ask your boss.

Get yourself a metric set, they will have all the sizes you need.
      Then when you need a tool, go to your boss's wholesaler and buy what you need.
      sigpic

Comment

Repco arechanging all there tools so great discounts on them and there good quality

if your not after a recite go look in the classified good ones pop up regularly

Comment

I would recommend as a good base starting point getting a metric set (all modern japanese bikes are metric, unsure about italian bikes) of sockets from 8-20mm, and some spanners 6-19mm. If you can afford it, get a socket set with the sizes extending up to around 34mm as axle bolts are usually in this range, or you can just buy the specific sized socket for the axle bolt on your bike.

For what it's worth, I use sidchrome tools, they seem to be good quality and have taken a beating with blunt force, battery acid, and brake fluid haha. I bought them on the recommendation of a friend who has had the same set for about 20 years and they still look brand new.

For sidchrome, an 8-32mm socket set is about $240 and the 6-19mm spanner set is around $160, without trade discounts.

Oh also get a set of allen keys that won't fucking snap and shank you. I got some kinchrome ones for about $25, they do the job.

Comment

I've used Kinchrome for years hanging from cranes and abusing without so much as a concern. Just grabbed a tonne more for work. Good prices, quality and have failed yet. Did I mention the HUGE savings by buying bulk Click image for larger version

Name:	23092009166.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	4866346
            User contains traces of nuts.

Comment

all my gear is kincrome and i can fault it at all. what i strongly recomend if you can afford the coin is ratchet spanners, they are the shit and i curse every time i dont have access to them at work.
              sigpic
              Its so small

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...e_view&id=9156

Comment

Tools, Spanners, Clearance, Bargain, quality, Sockets, Powertools | Transquip Direct

Transquip are awesome, and based in perth so delivery is fast. That kit is absolutely perfect for starting out, I've found a use for pretty much everything in there and it's great to have stuff on hand when you need it.

I'm a fan of buying a solid kit to start with, and then building on top of it as time goes on. The only things this kit are missing is a multimeter($40 at dicksmith), a filthy rag ($3245.99) and a torque wrench ($99 for a 3/8 kincrome one from transquip). This kit was recommended to me by Nath, and you'll find a similar post to this one in several "tool" threads. It really is perfect for basic bike work.

You can do without all of those, but would be a good idea to get the torque wrench sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by polony View Post
                  Tools, Spanners, Clearance, Bargain, quality, Sockets, Powertools | Transquip Direct

Transquip are awesome, and based in perth so delivery is fast. That kit is absolutely perfect for starting out, I've found a use for pretty much everything in there and it's great to have stuff on hand when you need it.

I'm a fan of buying a solid kit to start with, and then building on top of it as time goes on. The only things this kit are missing is a multimeter($40 at dicksmith), a filthy rag ($3245.99) and a torque wrench ($99 for a 3/8 kincrome one from transquip). This kit was recommended to me by Nath, and you'll find a similar post to this one in several "tool" threads. It really is perfect for basic bike work.

You can do without all of those, but would be a good idea to get the torque wrench sooner rather than later.

Pretty good deal....

Comment

If you need power tools, Hilti are a pretty damn solid brand, just thought I would throw that out there too
                    Originally posted by browncow
                    Sometimes, I see you post, and I understand what all the individual words mean, but I have no idea what you're actually saying.

Comment

Regarding the Stanley stuff...the socket sets are fine, though the ratchets etc are a bit simple. Not fancy stuf,f but it's good quality. The Stanley spanners are HORRID though, shit finish and awful ergonomics.
                      Originally posted by Amac
                      suck me on the hat you mole fucker, steroid affected me cock

Comment

Does anyone know anything about Bahco tools?

Ive been told by a mate who worked as a fitter in Europe that theyre good kit and popular over there but Ive never heard of anyone using them here.

Comment

Yeah, they make AWESOME shifters. Havent used there spanners or other range of tools though.

Originally posted by Al_86 View Post
                          Does anyone know anything about Bahco tools?

Ive been told by a mate who worked as a fitter in Europe that theyre good kit and popular over there but Ive never heard of anyone using them here.
                          User contains traces of nuts.

Comment

The Bahco gear I've used isn't bad. I'd probably put it on par with Kingchrome, and not quite as nice as Sidchrome.
                            FTP

Comment

Desmo is a bit of a tool
                              http://jupiterstravellers.org

Comment

Working...
                              X