Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buell ZTL-style brakes

Some quick questions (no, I'm not planning this for the CBF):
    Does anyone know whether any kits exist for adding ZTL-style brakes to other makes of bike?
    Is there a more generic name for this brake style than ZTL?
    Where would one go to get them?
    Could you take the front forks/rims/calipers from a Buell and fit them to any other bike?

Thanks

For those who aren't aware, Buell ZTL brakes look like this:
    '====
    //`
    -Magilla
    They observe my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and I perceive at my core that they have thus concluded that I am Caucasian, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred
    Eligible to shadow R & R-E NOW

"Perimeter mounted disc"

Comment

Ah, thanks. "Rim mounted brakes" wasn't getting me far.

Seems that they are quite rare...
      '====
      //`
      -Magilla
      They observe my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and I perceive at my core that they have thus concluded that I am Caucasian, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred

Comment

I'd imagine you need the rim made for it specifically.

From what I understand, the disc being at the perimeter means you can use a lot skinnier spokes, because the braking force goes straight to the outer part of the rim, rather than out through the spokes.

Would need an adapter piece to put the caliper out there (probably a bigger caliper too), and maybe a new brake line made up if the angles of the banjo fittings don't work

Comment

Perimeter Disc Brake Rotors

Comment

Yeah - they are much more efficient - so much so that you only need one, so less weight, and the spokes don't need to be as strong (and thus as heavy).

They seem like a great idea - I wonder why there aren't more around...

Edit: Hai, ninja!
            That's the first page I found after you suggested "Perimeter mounted disc".
            Last edited by Magilla; 30-09-2009, 03:01 PM. Reason: Ninja gato!
            '====
            //`
            -Magilla

Comment

They're crap >.<

I wish they did dual discs, also they need the upgrade kit done. Mine has quick fading making it abit shit at the track.

The theory is good, but the execution is abit cheap o.0

I'm sure if the jappers did it , it would be pretty decent.

Comment

From that page:
                Well with regards to handling you want light weight and low moment of inertia. So if you go to a perimeter design and then are able to use one disc instead of two you can maybe (but I doubt it) save enough mass to make it practical. The problem is that the moment of inertia goes up with the 4th power of the radius. So sticking weight farther away from the axle like that could be bad news.

Buell claims that they are losing not only the weight of an additional disc, but also that they are losing weight by making the spokes of the wheel thinner since they don’t have to transfer braking force anymore. Its plausible enough and thats probably all that matters. I haven’t seen any numbers that back it up.
                Interesting to think about

Paging any physics nerds?

Comment

I believe he is talking about the inertia of the wheel will be greater as more weight will be towards the outer edge.
                  Originally posted by Jamathi
                  I might be a "Racist"
                  Edited for clarity.

Comment

These guys used to do them as well as kits (forks wheels calipers etc) GHEZZI-BRIAN.COM do they do them anymore NFI, how much? its likely you should be sitting down if they tell you.
                    Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

TBH, I RAVED about my Buell's ZTL front disc until I hopped on my current bike, and have now developed the habit of 1 finger braking, no matter the circumstance...

It's not a shit design, but there is DEFINITELY room for improvement.
                      Work Buy Consume Die

Comment

If it's meant to be better why aren't the MotoGP guys using them?
                        "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Comment

^^^ you win this thread.
                          Work Buy Consume Die

Comment

I'm having a stab here but since they are mounted to the rim I imagine that any stresses strains and buckles the rim experiences would be transfered to the disc, ergo they suck

Comment

Hmm, i don't exactly agree with that comment ...

Comment

Working...
                              X