Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm meant to be a mechanic but I can't fix my chics bike!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm meant to be a mechanic but I can't fix my chics bike!!

My girlfriend dropped her recently bought '93 kawa ZXR750 from standing while it was running. She was standing beside it holding it at the time (go figure). There was no physical damage although engine oil went everywhere. So being the hero in return for certain favours I said no worries I'll fix it! so I've degreased the whole thing, did an oil change and checked for leaks and there are none. It all looks sweet but it has some weird symtoms.

1. Its stuck in nuetral but not all the time. Yesterday I was able to select first (with the engine off) and back to nuertal where it is stuck now.
    2. It wont start, even with the kickstand up, in nuetral, clutch in. The starter motor doesn't even roll I just get a click. Battery is showing good charge fuses are all good. Thinking its an electrical failsafe, like a tripped tilt switch but I don't think this bike has one. The wiring seems fine. I'm out of ideas...anyone?

Could have damaged the tilt switch, neutral switch or sidestand switch.

As far as being stuck in neutral goes, is there any chance it's just "one of those things" where you have to roll the bike forward or back a little bit for the dogs to line up alright?

Simple things first.
    Originally posted by Dragunov-21
    If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

Comment

1. Changing gear requires the bike or engine to be involved a little bit. Try moving it forward (like 10 centimetres) while keeping the gear lever preloaded.

2. Check the kill switch, petrol cock and choke maybe? (On the right hand side there is a switch, normally red, near the ignition switch. That's your kill switch. The petrol cock is normally near the fuel tank with ON, OFF and RES positions.)

That said, a bike leaking out all its oil because it was dropped doesn't sound right to me. And I should know, having dropped a few. :p

Comment

Yeah kill switch is on, if its not it doesn't make the click, fuel is on, it leaked out maybe only 100ml of oil but I don't like mixing oils so I did a full swap. The oil definately wasn't from a rupture I was thinking out a breather of some sort (i normally work on aircraft so not too familiar with bikes) Did the whole roll thing yesterday got nothing I'll have to try with the gear lever preloaded though.

Comment

will this girl give said favours to whoever fixes it?

only kidding, which way did the bike fall. I am guessing the left side, Check the gear selector and shift rod for bends or binding. it may need straightening.
          It will only start in neutral unless you have the clutch in and some bikes even in neutral you need the clutch in.
          Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

It fell to the right actually and really slowly and I'd put on crash pads to protect the fairings for when she did drop it so there was no impact at all nothing is beant or broken even the break lever is fine bearly a scratch on it. and it's definately in neutral as i've been rolling it into the workshop and back

Comment

Is it possible to have smoke without a fire?

Where did the oil come from is there isn't a leak? Did oil get onto the sparks?
              This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

I was wondering where the oil came from myself as I said I suspected a breather vent or the like but didn't want to tip it over again the find out. I thought I'd find something when I refilled it be not a single leak? doesn't make much sense to me but I know funny things happen when bikes fall.

Comment

If its clicking it sounds like the starter motor is getting enough current to move the solenoid in & out, but not enough to turn the motor.

If its been sitting for a lone time could be battery not able to do the job.

Otherwise maybe loosened a connector to the battery and it cant get enough current.

Have you tried push starting?

Also I'd be worried about the oil. A bike shouldn't leak oil just because its on its side. You sure one of the covers isn't cracked?
                  You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

cheers I thought I'd done most of these checks but I'll go over it agian cause It's just not sensible is it? Maybe I should lay it down again and find the source? which would also lead me to possible causes

Comment

Arwon - Borza is in qld

Dubs

Comment

battery could have "dropped" a plate ; check for 12+ V
                        put bike in Neutral put sidestand in and pull in the clutch should start it.
                        If not then consult the wiring diagram, after battery test, to see what relay's fuses are in the way from letting current to the solenoid/fuelpump.
                        Check these one by one for operation and it should become clear where the bottleneck is.
                        Also look at the handle bar accelerator cluster if there is a neutral back to the frame/battery as it must have had a whack on that side falling over.
                        "Check vacuum hoses for lint!!""

Comment

Also bike gearboxes are different to cars . They have locator dogs which lock the gears in. If you want to move it through the gears rock the bike back and forward to allign the gears. It will change easy then.
                          Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

+1 where did the oil come from

Make sure the airbox isn't full off oil- if the first timeit fires a cylinder sucks 190mL of oil it could hydraulic lock a piston and break stuff
                            Posted via Mobile Device
                            Originally posted by Bendito
                            If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Also tilt switches can stick even on new bikes- easy to test with multimeter shake hell out of them if there is a problem
                              Posted via Mobile Device
                              Originally posted by Bendito
                              If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X