08/09 CBR1000RR Throttle cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 08/09 CBR1000RR Throttle cables

It seems that to get to the throttle butterflies and where the throttle cables connect to, the entire airbox needs to be removed as the throttle cables disappear somewhere underneath it.

It doesn't seem to be solidly mounted toward the front of the bike, but it's held firmly in place by the rear, perhaps by the multitude of EFI wires and components, or perhaps (likely) by some invisible bolts that I cannot find. The only ones I can think of are possibly the bolts inside the airbox that hold the velocity stacks down..

Shout out if you know how to remove the airbox please, I am a little stumped! Or if anyone has a link to a service manual floating around, that would be great too!

Cheers

OK, I'd imagine it's really similar to my 600. You take the tank and tank cover off, top half of the airbox off, ECU (if it's there like the 6.), disconnect all of the sensors and fuel lines, remove tank comletely, remove intake funnels, unscrew bottom half of the airbox, remove, and you should have access to the throttle bodies.

It's a huge PITA, but it's the only way. Might as well fit a quick action unit since you have to replace the cables anyway. A long pair of thin needlenose and a couple long thin screwdrivers will go a long way.

Good luck.
    EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Comment

The screws holding the velocity stacks go through the airbox into the throttle bodies, screws must be removed to remove airbox. Also if its set up like the 600's, then you will have to remove the throttle bodies as well to replace the throttle cables.

Comment

Thanks guys, it's set up in exactly the same (retarded) fashion from that description.

Comment

Its a nice neat tidy setup, till you have to pull the bloody thing apart!
          Give these guys a call, https://www.slipstreamperformance.co...Path=1_718_728 They may have a quick action in stock, only takes a couple of days to get here if they do, pretty good bunch to deal with.

Comment

Thanks but no thanks, quick action sounds like something I'd perhaps consider installing and getting used to in the off season - I might be racing in Kings, so will be keeping the standard action throttle.

I did suffer from a sore wrist before and considered going to quick action, but I moved the brake lever slightly and it has alleviated the issue anyway.

Comment

Honestly nigel, you would love a quick action throttle, they take stuff all to get used to, it doesnt suddenly go from nothing to WOT. Coming out of the basin is so much easier to wind it open to full. 2 laps and you wont even remember you have fitted it, they just feel natural.

Comment

I find that it feels much more natural and safer. When you don't have to tke two grabs at the throttle, your hand doesn't end up out of position.

As well, on the 600, you don't have to remove the throttle bodies if you don't have sausage fingers. You can get the cable ends in there with a bit if patience.
                EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Comment

Hmm.. anyone else using a quick throttle with opinions?

Robwas uses one and told me it took him quite awhile to get used to it, although he likes it now. I'm tentative because I have nearly launched myself off the bike before accidentally getting off and back on the throttle again, I'd imagine it would be a lot more vicious with the quick action.

I've already ordered the standard cables anyway, I don't wanna mess Kev around.

Comment

I've changed my K7GSXR1000 throttle tube to one from an '04 R1, which takes it from 90 degrees, to 70 degrees. Your 'blade could very well be different, but I didn't need to replace the cables, I just needed to wind the adjusters in a bit to give myself some slack.

It does make it a bit more twitchy, but I find it's only an issue at lower speeds and small throttle openings, which you're not going to see much of, on the track. As the other guys have said, you get used to it and adjust pretty quickly. Plus not having to double-grab to get full throttle is nice.
                    FTP

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel View Post
                      Hmm.. anyone else using a quick throttle with opinions?

Robwas uses one and told me it took him quite awhile to get used to it, although he likes it now. I'm tentative because I have nearly launched myself off the bike before accidentally getting off and back on the throttle again, I'd imagine it would be a lot more vicious with the quick action.

I've already ordered the standard cables anyway, I don't wanna mess Kev around.
                      On the racebike, i would never go back. Took 2 sessions to get used to. Love it. You'd ned to order the HRC throttle tube and cables. Slipstream performance does them for a pretty good price. I need to order on this week too so let me know if you want to ship em' together. Not that they cost much to ship.

Comment

Stick your hand in the frame from the left side of the bike to get the cables out of the holders - small hands helps!!
                        Increasing my carbon footprint - one 500 @ a time...

Comment

Ask Rob how its done

Comment

Originally posted by KEV View Post
                            Ask Rob how its done
                            How do you do it Rob??

Comment

Hey, Kev showed me!!!

It looks impossible to do, but can be done
                              Increasing my carbon footprint - one 500 @ a time...

Comment

Working...
                              X