Stripped my sump plug hole thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped my sump plug hole thread

While putting the sump plug back in my ZZR250 after dumping my oil, I managed to completely strip the thread (on the hole not the plug) with my incorrectly set-up torque wrench
    Just wondering if there are any kind spirits out there who have done the same thing before and have a heli-coil kit (and some advice) that I may be able to borrow?
    If worse comes to worse, I guess I'll just get K-Tec or another mobile mechanic to do it, other threads said it only cost around $60 (the hel-coil kit alone cost ~$70).

I've used plumber tape to fix the problem before. Try doing a ton of laps around the bolt then screwing it in
    When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story.

Originally posted by lobes89
    Yea I like the bike but it's hard to get my foot under the brake lever

Comment

Just use K-Tec save urself the grief

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Dave View Post
        I've used plumber tape to fix the problem before. Try doing a ton of laps around the bolt then screwing it in
        No, don't try that. That's what you'd do if you found it had stripped out when you were miles from home, and had to ride it back. You sure as hell wouldn't ride it around like that.
        And FFS, don't give dumb-shit advice like that out.

tnb- Odin Autos, in Balcatta, hire out helicoil kits for a decent price.
        FTP

Comment

I was more meaning as a temp to get it to a helicoil. I might not have typed it but I was thinking it.

But yea not the best option coz it could come out mid ride. Probaly should have chucked the risk facter in with that one.
          When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story.

Originally posted by lobes89
          Yea I like the bike but it's hard to get my foot under the brake lever

Comment

I saw the thread title and straight away thought ZZR250...

Seems to be a common thing to do...

Search and you will find a few threads...

Comment

G'Day Thenobelbadger,

Try and buy a tapered sump bolt first. As the name sugests, it tightens itself in as you go. So if you do get it helicoiled you'll need a new bolt antway. Also try and make sure it has a magnet in it to attract any foreign metal particals.
              Regards,

Sooty.

Another perfect day in paradise.

Comment

WTF? There is some bullshit advice in here. Do not try putting it in with plumbers tape. Do not try a tapered sump plug bolt, you wont get one anyway. You may get a BSPT or NPTplug, but will have to re tap the hole for those to fit, or you could just try and wind one in and crack your sump! Call K-tec or if you can get it on a trailer, send gav at GDengineering on here a pm, sure he could sort it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post

Search and you will find a few threads...
                  I lol'ed

"Always out-numbered, never out-gunned"

Comment

Just for the record............ if you decide to helicoil (stainless steel insert), be sure that your are skilled enough.
                    You are cutting a new (larger thread)...
                    Make sure it is dead square...
                    Helicoils are great things, but be careful.
                    Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

Cheers for the suggestions guys. Yeah, from what i've read from other threads, seems a lot of noobs like me have done the same thing to their ZZR250's . The tapered thread bolt sounds like it would work (if i don't over tighten it again and crack the sump ), but i'm guessing its not really a permanent solution.
                      Can't remeber who suggested it, but I'll definately give Odins a buzz and see how much the heli-coil kit hire is.
                      More than likely I'll just get K-Tec to do it, as it's not the sorta thing i really wanna stuff up (oil on the back tyre doesn't sound very enjoyable).
                      I'm also curious if there's anyone who's actually used a heli-coil on their ZZR250 sump before. Is it possible to do with the bike on the centre stand? Or would I need more working space? Can you remove a ZZR250 sump easily?

Comment

Just read your post Darkfibre. I only just learn what a heli-coil is the other day, so excuse me if my questions are stupid. You said that a heli-coil cuts a bigger thread. Does that mean that it cuts into the already existing thread leaving you with the same size thread as before (by that I mean you would be able to use the same size bolt) OR do you mean that it cuts a bigger thread meaning you would actually need a bigger bolt? I've seen diagrams of how it works, but its still a little hazy to me.

Comment

Just use KTEC before you need a whole new crankcase......

Comment

Originally posted by Sean'o View Post
                            WTF? There is some bullshit advice in here. Do not try putting it in with plumbers tape. Do not try a tapered sump plug bolt, you wont get one anyway. You may get a BSPT or NPTplug, but will have to re tap the hole for those to fit, or you could just try and wind one in and crack your sump! Call K-tec or if you can get it on a trailer, send gav at GDengineering on here a pm, sure he could sort it out.
                            Originally posted by jules_1972 View Post
                            Just use KTEC before you need a whole new crankcase......
                            Listen to these people. No offense dude, but if you cant even put a bolt in a sump without fucking it up, you are going to struggle with a Helicoil kit.

Do it right once the 1st time and suck up the cost as a learning experience.
                            You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

Helicoil is a stainless steel insert. The damaged thread is tapped out further and the insert is screwed in.
                              You are left with a new thread of the original size.

It may sound straight forward, but it is possible to make a huge mess of it so that it is no longer a simple fix.
                              Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

Working...
                              X