Clutch Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Stuff

I've locked my back wheel up a few times from down changing while the revs are too high (compression lockup) and now that I'm looking at getting a bigger bike I wanted to get some stuff figured.

Do the newer bikes still get compression lockups or do they have a different type clutch that prevents this? I know you can get aftermarket slipper clutches that 'slips' the clutch when down changing under high revs but would it be worth getting one put on?

It depends on the bike, 4 cylinders are not as likely to lock up as twins, in general.

Easiest way around it is to learn to blip on downchanges.
    Funnest was is to learn to love the rear end wiggling about.
    Costliest way is to install an aftermarket slipper clutch.
    Boringest way is to get one from the factory with your bike.
    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Learn to ride with it and you'll do yourself good.

in the wet it happens a lot more easily and if you don't panic every time it happens you'll be able to control it and deal with it.

plus its fun
      Wes

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson View Post
        I've locked my back wheel up a few times from down changing while the revs are too high (compression lockup)
        You are changing into a lower gear, and the wheel is spinning a lot faster than the engine/gearbox

so your revs once you change down are too low for the speed of your wheel

rev the engine up to match it as you shift down

Comment

Okay cheers guys, I'll have to start blipping on down changes. Scared the shit out of myself the other night when I felt my rear start to veer out ^_^

Comment

If you're that scared by the small lockup downshifting, I suggest you don't get a big bike.
            If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Learn to blip on downshifts.

Bigger bikes have more compression and are more likely to do it (though some have a slipper clutch to help minimise it).

If you haven't learned to blip the throttle on downshifts, you're not really ready to upgrade - imho (its a reasonably basic riding skill).
              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Yeah Fair Call, I'm going to keep my 250 until at least January so I've got a bit of time to get my riding all up to par.

Comment

Hey mate, I'm also on a ZZR and I downshift (engine brake) very aggresively, but I haven't locked the rear for over a year.

My trick is slipping the clutch (not dump) to see how much I can push it. Many times the revs shot to 12rpm but because the slippage is smooth there is no locking (I'm guessing it is the same principle as a slipper clutch anyway).

It works for me.

Comment

Cheers for the Xuaxace, by slipping the clutch do you mean releasing it slowly or just releasing it so its just at the friction point?

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson View Post
                      Cheers for the Xuaxace, by slipping the clutch do you mean releasing it slowly or just releasing it so its just at the friction point?
                      Yep, slowly. because I'm using engine breaking I realease it slowly, the revs just shot up as I let it sip, generally a few backfires. There is no doubt that If i was just dumping the clutch I would lock it and possibly crash.

Mind you, If you are just cruising at 5-7k Rpm, and you downshift /dump the clutch, you shouldn't lock it. When the revs are go higher than that Is when I slip it.

Comment

I hate the lock up (eating my tyre )but it is the only way to really get that growl happening on the downshift. eating tyre vs. being a noisy wanker , such a dilemma sometimes. as for skids check my fully sick skids bra
                        Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed.

Comment

StormrRider... not need to lock it to make the noise happen... Slip the CLUTCH!

Comment

I get the awesome noise when i change into first at 50. Doesnt lock up either, but I have a slipper.
                            If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Slipper clutches are designed to AID in downshifting so you don't lock up the rear wheel. However, you still need to learn to do it right in the first place.
                              As others have said, blip the throttle on downshifts to match revs.
                              Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Working...
                              X