Metal coating, aluminium repair, carbon fibre, plastic repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal coating, aluminium repair, carbon fibre, plastic repair

I'm spending craploads on getting my bike fixed up, but saving a fair bit doing the legwork, ordering, and as much as possible myself... so far so good but have a couple dumb questions about some bits which are gonna shit me and remind me of crash if I don't fix em.

1. The black coating on top of the metal bits (like engine cover, front cowl supports).. is that powdercoating?

2. There are a few small chips and gouges in some of said aluminium bits. Is there a DIY way of rectifying this before getting them coated? Should I just use the same shit as is used on the fairings? will this bond to the metal or is there something better?

3. Can the edges of carbon fibre bits be sanded smooth and then polished smooth to remove tiny fractures?

4. Likewise with some scratches in the black plastic mirror mounts, and other similar things, scratches are shallow but noticable, and wondering if I could sand it back smooth.

I'd rather get some tips before starting, because if I stuff em (3+4 particularly) with the wrong technique, it'll cost me about 2 grand for Triumph OEM. Feel free to tell me not to waste my time though.

Thanks in advance (ps. hope this post is in the right spot)

Originally posted by dnut View Post
    I'm spending craploads on getting my bike fixed up, but saving a fair bit doing the legwork, ordering, and as much as possible myself... so far so good but have a couple dumb questions about some bits which are gonna shit me and remind me of crash if I don't fix em.

1. The black coating on top of the metal bits (like engine cover, front cowl supports).. is that powdercoating?

2. There are a few small chips and gouges in some of said aluminium bits. Is there a DIY way of rectifying this before getting them coated? Should I just use the same shit as is used on the fairings? will this bond to the metal or is there something better?

3. Can the edges of carbon fibre bits be sanded smooth and then polished smooth to remove tiny fractures?

4. Likewise with some scratches in the black plastic mirror mounts, and other similar things, scratches are shallow but noticable, and wondering if I could sand it back smooth.

I'd rather get some tips before starting, because if I stuff em (3+4 particularly) with the wrong technique, it'll cost me about 2 grand for Triumph OEM. Feel free to tell me not to waste my time though.

Thanks in advance (ps. hope this post is in the right spot)
    1. Black coating from factory would most likely be paint. Factories rarely use powdercoating.
    2. If the scratches and chips in the aluminium are small sand down the surrounding surface to make it level. The only other option is to take it to someone who can weld ally and have them weld up the hole. Don't use filler if you can help it. That said, the are fillers available for aluminium such as Devcon that you can paint over to hide. Devcon will not produce an invisible repair thought.
    3. Sort of. You can sand the carbon but anywhere that you go through the resin and expose the fibres will have a furry edge that it really hard to hide. If you need to you can paint over it with fresh resin of the same type (polyester, vinylester or epoxy) and sand it smooth then cover the whole lot with two pack clear for an even finish. You shouldn't leave the raw surface uncovered as it is UV sensitive. A bit of work but probably worth it.
    4. Scratched plastic parts are really hard to restore. I don't think I have ever seen a really successful fix. If you must, you can sand down the entire piece then prime with a plastic primer and paint but it will never look as good as new.

I hope this has helped to answer some questions. I am sure there are others who will think of something that I have missed though.

Comment

Working...
    X