CBF250 Owners, to arms!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBF250 Owners, to arms!

Alright, I need a little 2nd/3rd/20th opinion.

Go for a little ride on your bike.

Then take off your seat, undo the two screws on the airbox snorkel, then pull that off and put it somewhere safe along with the screws.

Then go for another ride (yes, putting the seat back on first) and tell me what you think, specifically:

Do you think it pulls a little harder, a little weaker, or no difference at all?

And do you like the little roar when the engine is under load?

Private army, KGo.
    Originally posted by Dragunov-21
    If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

Induction roar = tehcool on any bike

(I almost prefer to roll in a higher gear rather than lower in the VFR for the roar)
    Insert witty comment here

Comment

I still can't tell if it's cool or tryhard on the CBF though lol... Sounds more like a dirtbike now.

Still, if I wanna keep it, I'm going to have to put some thought into keeping water/crap out of the airbox/filter.
      If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

Comment

Flux capacitor tweak = +5hp

Dubs

Comment

What about my ASB stickers? =P

*edit*VV :resent:
          Last edited by Dragunov-21; 23-10-2009, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragunov-21 View Post
            What about my ASB stickers? =P
            Originally posted by Ferris
            I love how PSB has turned into "Dear Martha"

Figure shit out yourselves, retards.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragunov-21 View Post
              What about my ---PLEASE REPORT THIS THREAD OR MESSAGE---PLEASE REPORT THIS THREAD OR MESSAGE--- stickers? =P

*edit*VV :resent:
              FEADCinc, PSB?

Comment

I had a brief scout around for the Jesus Christ Superstar track... "crucify him, crucify him!"

I'll be shown up soon by someone with YouTube access.
                Originally posted by Ferris
                I love how PSB has turned into "Dear Martha"

Figure shit out yourselves, retards.

Comment

I 've tried taking that snorkel thingo off a while back and yes, imho, it's just for the noise.

That should be a good thing as the CBF is pretty quiet. More noise, the better the cagers can hear you I guess.

You could also bore a hole thru the seat and straight into the airbox area. That way after a good feed of bake beans, you'll be able to direct inject the CBF's engine with methane on demand. ^_^

The hole in the seat could also double as a mounting point for a rectum restraining device which will help stop you from sliding around on the seat during hard cornering and make riding the CBF more, or less enjoyable depending on your preferences.

Comment

The ease with which you've turned an airbox "mod" into a buttplug opportunity bothers me slightly XD

Seriously though, I've just been out, and I've gotta say two things:

- I freaking love the sound it's like a puppy growling, and changes the way I ride the bike - I'd keep it just for that.

- I went out on the highway, and while it didn't go any faster, it seemed to hold its speed better on inclines. Though obviously since a gust of wind'll knock 10kph off on the cbf250, it could be the snokel, or anything else.

As far as it goes, for summer at least I'll be keeping it, but I'll have to look at modifying the snorkel so the water will stay out when it rains. Probably just cut the top off it so it doesn't restrict at all, but leaves a 1" high collar around the top of the filter.

Comment

Hey, we are in a thread with "CBF 250" in the title. Do you think too many people will be reading? I think we can say anything we want in here! ^_^

Seriously, if you are going to modify the snorkel, you will want something left to screw down over the air filter. Otherwise the air filter will be a loose fit and some debris may get around the edges of the filter, or the filter may move and perhaps obstruct air flow.

Personally, I think cutting the snorkel off may hurt power. The snorkel has a bit of a bell mouth to it and that usually helps air flow. If anything, if you can see a way to make another snorkel to channel air into the area from the outside, then you may see a power increase, particularly at speed where you need the extra power, that may be better than cutting the snorkel. BUt it does depend on how much restriction there is around the mouth of the snorkel from the body work. I didn't spend much time mucking around with it at the time as I was just, well, mucking around with it.

Personally, I think an exhaust mod would benefit the CBF better, or perhaps both together. The stock can is heavy. Take if off for yourself. Plus there is a extention of the pipe going into the can and that I think is helping quietening the exhaust note a lot, and robbing some power. I have heard of a CBF here in perth that had a aftermarket exhaust fitted and it helped power, partially less weight, partially more power plus a much better note. I saw the bike for sale on bike sales months ago, and heard little of it ever since.

Comment

I know how heavy the stock can is - it'd have to be about 10kg, or something close. The problem with an exhaust mod is that it costs money, and spending 700 bucks on a 3k bike to gain a tiny bit more power just doesn't make sense to me.

I put the snorkel back on this arvo, and it didn't seem to pull quite as well from about 80kph onwards, so I'm pretty confident that removing it isn't hurting.

I've considered modifying it to get air forced in (I'm guessing that's what ram air intakes are?), but how do you fix the problem of getting air pushed in, without getting water/bugs/crap in with it? Is it just a matter of placement of the inlets? I might have a look tomorrow to see if it's possible, or whether it's too tight under there. I don't kid myself that it'll make a big difference, but it might be interesting to find out if it improves anything.

Comment

Working...
                        X