RS125 Vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS125 Vibration

Hey team, got a problem that someone out there might be able to advise me on -

The other day I was riding my 2000 RS125 down the freeway, when the engine missed a beat and locked up the back wheel for a second, then coughed back into life and kept going. After that, the engine note is now a little less throaty than usual and the whole bike vibrates around like crazy, at the same "cadence" as the engine revs.

(Yes, it's a two-stroke. Yes, I know it shakes around normally. This is like riding a 240 volt vibrator at the moment)

So what should I do from here? Anyone have any ideas about what's going on or suggestions? I think it's been about 5-6000 k since last top end rebuild, is it worth taking to a shop for diagnosis/repair or a DIY job?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Step one would be stop riding it till you/shop have taken a look.

if you are unsure you could post up a ride/meet to your place see if any of the knowledgeable two stroke guys can spot any issues

Comment

Seriously helpful there, I hadn't thought of that at all.

Didn't put it in the first post, but I haven't ridden it since, or had time to rip it apart myself. Getting home from work tomorrow and have a week off to look at it then.

Comment

.. with the rear wheel locking up for a sec I'd say you've had a 'nip up' (minor seizure). I'd pull it down & check the barrel & piston for evidence.

Looks like you'll be plying one or more of the 2 stroke crew with a few beers so they can give ya the lowdown.
        .. and thats Racer # 193 to y'all; my fabulous sponsors (who all do good shit) are: Graeme Fleming IT Consultants, Vision Image, Pacific Safety Wear, Excess Power Equipment, Pro Photo Booth

.. and according to Sean'o: 'get the Kwaka (never thought i would say that!)'

Comment

yeah mate the piston seized in the cylinder... u have to pull it apart and inspect the bore/piston, because it would have damaged it some what, a seizure is never any good and can end up costing a bit, what sort of 2 stroke oil do u use? and do u always warm her up??

Comment

yer as smeghead said you nipped up. dont ride it. it needs a full strip down and most likely new barrel and piston.

This happened to me years ago and when i was none the wiser, went for another ride and she nearly spat me off during a high speed corner when the engine seized solid.
            you may have a blown crank seal. check it.

Comment

Pull out Your spark plug and see if there is any metal on it. Some of the piston may have broken off.
              I'm Living the dream. Really I am.

Comment

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated. I use a motorex full synth and it is always pre-warmed - but looks like monday and tuesdaya will be spent pulling her down. Cheers all.

Comment

Working...
                X