To modify or not to modify...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To modify or not to modify...

So I've started to strip down the 750 F1 project bike that I picked up earlier in the week, and whilst scouring the interweb for parts, I've realised that I've run into a little dilemna. There are 3 obvious options with this rebuild:

1. Keep it as close to original as possible (ignoring the factory flaws) and aim toward something the factory would want on display in their museum.
    2. Bomb the shit out of it with go fast & performance enhancing bits until it hardly resembles a Ducati at all
    3. Pick the best of both worlds. That is, keep it as close to original with the exception of improvements (top spec forks, shock, braided lines, etc)

I'd be interested to know your thoughts, particularly from the true Ducatisti amongst you.

Check out my 1198s Corse SE in the garage: Desmosedici Ohlins forks, magnesium wheels, Ohlins TTX rear shock, Kyle racing link, alloy subframe, carbon fairing stay, ceramic coated Termi full systen, PCV, lots of carbon & titanium.

Option 3. Option 2 is just counter intuitive to why you bought it, if you wanted fast you would have got something else. Option one is the hard road when option 2 renders the same results with improvements. Really depends on how much of a purist you are.
    "Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people"

Comment

Hate to say it, but some will tell you not to destroy a work of art, others will say go for it.

It now gets down to you... When you close your eyes and daydream about the project, do you see it factory and mint condition, or do you see something that YOU have made.

Personally, I go down the road of make it the way you want it, unless its a one of a kind (which modifiers should have not bought, one offs are for COLLECTORS)
      Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

Although it would be a hard slog, I was originally leaning toward option 1, but wasn't too sure about re-using the suspension that came with it. Besides being hard to find parts for, I was thinking that the options available today would make for a brilliantly handling bike (which really says a lot when you take into account the reputation these things had for handling to begin with), but at the same time I was concerned about the collectability of a modified bike versus a showroom original.

Check out my 1198s Corse SE in the garage: Desmosedici Ohlins forks, magnesium wheels, Ohlins TTX rear shock, Kyle racing link, alloy subframe, carbon fairing stay, ceramic coated Termi full systen, PCV, lots of carbon & titanium.

Comment

1 and 3, rebuild original spec brakes and suspension and store it away, run bike with option 3

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan View Post
            1 and 3, rebuild original spec brakes and suspension and store it away, run bike with option 3
            +1.
            BUY MY BIKE - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...1000rr-151241/

Comment

option 3 and working as much as possible with what you have got

Comment

If you are going to actually put more than a couple of hundred km's on it a year, then 3, otherwise 1.
                Filbert on Moto Guzzis;
                Originally posted by filbert
                it's like a ducati with the motor put in sideways for people who are too scared of the power of harley davidsons

Comment

Having raced an F1 for years and riden one as a road bike I suggest you modify with modern suspension, wheels, tyres, and lots of 'go fast' parts cause the F1's road manners are dated & not really very comfy. As a track bike & weekend terror toy the F1 shines a very bright light. You can alway reverse modifications when life becomes boring.

Comment

EvilDwarf
                    Last edited by EvilDwarf; 02-02-2012, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Yep Option 1, but I am biased toward originality, and please don't rat bobber it
                      There are two questions in life.
                      1:Which way do I go
                      2:Whats the lap record.

Comment

I've come to the conclusion that option 1 is the way to go. Whilst I just know its going to be difficult, the thought of owning an original appeals to me. I've already started the hunt for part and so far I've found 9and purchased) these:
                        brand new rear seat section (includes the fibreglass tail, new seat, pillon cover, pillion pegs & all mounting hardware)
                        brand new instrument cluster
                        brand new oil cooler
                        I'm working on a hardware list to replace every nut, bolt & washer with titanium (I figure it looks good & shouldn't age). Keep an eye out in the projects thread for this over the coming months.

Comment

bevel rubber i think its called (in Oz) will repro instument gear

Comment

A restoration thread coming up!!

Hope it works out ok!!

Comment

Good move Sumfun, looking forward to the project thread.
                              Can you throw a couple of pics up here , as she is now?

Comment

Working...
                              X