Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ST3 Final drive change, changing front vs rear sprocket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ST3 Final drive change, changing front vs rear sprocket?

Morning Gents.

I'd like to change the final drive ratio on my ST3. Options are change the front sprocket to 14 tooth, or change rear to 43-45 tooth.

What would you recommend?

Also, will changing the final drive affect speedometer accuracy?

Where is the speedo pick-up for the bike? engine? gearbox? wheel? that will tell you whether changing the gearing will effect your speedometer. I'd suggest it likely will.

Front versus rear sprocket change.......
    Unless you are racing, the minor geometry change associated with front or rear sprocket change is negligable, and won't affect you noticably....
    however two things to take into account....
    Rear sprocket change costs more (for the sprocket), is easier to access and change yourself, however is likely going to also require a longer chain (additional cost and installation time).
    Front sprocket changes costs less (for the sprocket), requires a little more work (tools wise, and some disassembly), but is unlikely to mean you require a shorter chain......

Take it all in to account knowing your mechanical skills, tool availability, and then you have your answer. Neither option is better or worse mechanically than the other, it is just which is a better option for your personal situation.....
    Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

Cheers Black.

I think I'll change the front sprocket to 14, as this will be the cheapest/easiest option.

Comment

The pickup for the speedo should be located on the rear wheel, changing the front is the easiest solution. Changing sprockets on a late model Ducati will not change the speedo.
        DUCATI 999S R.I.P.

Comment

dont forget that when you change the front sprocket the chain goes around a tighter radius...
          also, because its a smaller radius, the chain may put more load on the wear block and it may rub through to the swingarm. (depending on model of bike)

Comment

Plus more load on the main shaft too? ....I'd go rear..
            ''It's not how many times we go down,but the amount of times we get back up''

Comment

If it's a 15 tooth as standard, going down to a 14 will have negligible wear issues on a road bike.

Comment

Last edited by EvilDwarf; 02-02-2012, 12:24 PM. Reason: Nice if l could spell...!

Comment

Working...
                X