Ducati 916 Strada ADVICE WANTED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ducati 916 Strada ADVICE WANTED

Hi guys and Gals need some advice. Im looking at a Strada to buy second hand and would like some feedback on one im looking at.

Its a 916 Strada 1997 with 17,500kms they are asking $10,500 is that a good price or normal for that make/year/model?

Also does anyone know of any dramas this model had?

Cheers

Thats not a bad price if in not to bad condition.

Make sure you get all the Maintenance records, think these might have had some dramas with rockers flaking as well.

Where is the bike for sale??

Comment

Post '98 was when they had the good Jap electrics, pre they had shitty Itai electrics.

Comment

Its on bikesales.com.au or try here Used DUCATI 916 Strada Motorcycles For Sale - bikesales.com.au

Originally posted by jules_1972 View Post
        Thats not a bad price if in not to bad condition.

Make sure you get all the Maintenance records, think these might have had some dramas with rockers flaking as well.

Where is the bike for sale??

Comment

Be nice to have it checked out prior to $$$ handover.

Or could end up costing you a fair chunk of $$$....

Comment

what checks you think i need to do? and with who?

Comment

Maintenance records needs to be checked out.
              A reputable Ducati mechanic would be the best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by jules_1972 View Post
                Be nice to have it checked out prior to $$$ handover.

Or could end up costing you a fair chunk of $$$....
                +100000.

Be very careful when you buy an old duke. The 996 I just bought as "immaculate" is gonna cost me monster bucks to put right.

Get somebody who really knows what they're looking at to check it right out. Remove all the fairings and look at it and compare against other bikes you know to be good. Something as simple as a new fuel pump will cost you a weeks wages.

Parts (new parts) are VERY expensive and are getting to tougher and tougher to find. You really don't wanna know how much I've spent (So far) putting my 996 right.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's not a great idea, just get ready for a huge spend if it's not been looked after.

Comment

ok cool thanks guys, i only need it to last about 2 years as I will be upgrading to a 848 by then

Comment

How many kms did you buy yours with?

Originally posted by kryten2001 View Post
                    +100000.

Be very careful when you buy an old duke. The 996 I just bought as "immaculate" is gonna cost me monster bucks to put right.

Get somebody who really knows what they're looking at to check it right out. Remove all the fairings and look at it and compare against other bikes you know to be good. Something as simple as a new fuel pump will cost you a weeks wages.

Parts (new parts) are VERY expensive and are getting to tougher and tougher to find. You really don't wanna know how much I've spent (So far) putting my 996 right.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's not a great idea, just get ready for a huge spend if it's not been looked after.

Comment

Fair few 848's up on Bike Sales under $19K.

Why not just get one of these?

Could save you some grief.

Comment

Originally posted by trooper View Post
                        ok cool thanks guys, i only need it to last about 2 years as I will be upgrading to a 848 by then
                        not wanting to start a flame war mate, 848's are great, but I wouldn't call that an upgrade - more a side grade...

These bikes are awesome and I'd argue whilst the contemporaries are better on paper - nothing will make you feel like one of these babies does!

if it's a good one, and you end up selling it for an 848, you will cry forever and wished you'd kept it..

On the other hand if it's a turd, you'll probably end up buying a Suzuki. These things will break your heart unless you've got the composure to spend like a sailor in a whorehouse.

Jules is right, an 848 would be a smarter buy in many ways - but there's nothing like these old babies... I love my 1098R to bits, but I still lust over the 916's...

Comment

How many kms did you buy yours with?
                          11,634 mate.

Dealer was a lying stack of shit. Best I don't go into details, I mean the truth can get you sued these days.

Comment

Umm...if it's good and the kays are correct, I wouldn't be selling it after 2 years...

Straight to the pool room...

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                              Umm...if it's good and the kays are correct, I wouldn't be selling it after 2 years...

Straight to the pool room...
                              Yes. 916 series will never be repeated. Epic bikes. Desmoquattros are for people who like to inflict self torture and really don't need money to eat and shit...

Comment

Working...
                              X