• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ducati Monster 1200S

First ride reports are out....

2014 Ducati Monster 1200 S | FIRST RIDE

2014 Ducati Monster 1200 S First Ride - Sport Rider Magazine

Could be tempted once they hit the stores in April/May.

That bike looks seriously nice.
    Have always liked Monsters, but this one just looks like a step in the right direction of evolution.
    Would be good if they bring the technology and styling to some smaller capacity models too.

Comment

Definitely a "monster".

I like.
      Last edited by Gippo; 20-02-2014, 02:49 PM.
      Its all good on Ducati's

Comment

Also:

First ride: Ducati Monster 1200S review - Road Tests: First Rides - Visordown

Note concerns about ergonomics for those of us with oversize clown feet. The rest sounds brilliant though...

Comment

IT appears that the Monster has had it's HP jacked up a fair amount by the looks , but the torque not so much compared to it's predecessors?

I could use the search function but weren't most Monsters around the 100 hp limit?
          Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ReCon View Post
            IT appears that the Monster has had it's HP jacked up a fair amount by the looks , but the torque not so much compared to it's predecessors?

I could use the search function but weren't most Monsters around the 100 hp limit?
            The previous 1100 monster used the 2v air cooled motor. These new ones run a water cooled motor, making a fair chunk more hp

Comment

You have to compare like with like...

My 2005 S4R in stock form apparently makes more torque, but is down on the horsepower...

It is also lighter and smaller...

So the Monster may have lost some of it's low down anger...

Comment

Originally posted by Tempo View Post
                The previous 1100 monster used the 2v air cooled motor. These new ones run a water cooled motor, making a fair chunk more hp
                Ahh, makes sense.

Originally posted by Rich... View Post
                You have to compare like with like...

My 2005 S4R in stock form apparently makes more torque, but is down on the horsepower...

It is also lighter and smaller...

Again, makes plenty of sense.

I sat on the 1100 EVO at the show and was highly surprised at it's lightweight and apparent nimbleness, taking into consideration that it had an empty fuel tank. I was comparing the bike with my Z1000 , which was a porky little fucker.

I am a fan of the S4R's/S4RS's and the EVO's, so think I might wait until a nice one appears when a previous owner decides to update to the newy. The pillion seat would be nice however… ^_^
                Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich... View Post
                  And low down grunt is what a lot of monster owners would want id imagine.
                  The new bike will attract a new audience of buyers that's for sure, its almost like they've created a smaller, more nimble diavel-like bike..

Comment

Originally posted by Tempo View Post
                    And low down grunt is what a lot of monster owners would want id imagine.
                    The new bike will attract a new audience of buyers that's for sure, its almost like they've created a smaller, more nimble diavel-like bike..
                    Yep, bigger and some what toned down...

Comment

Originally posted by ReCon View Post

Using the same motor as the Diavel, but lower HP.

Comment

following this bike with interest, never really been a Ducati sports bike fan, especially the 1098/1198 engined bikes (probably more to do with long gearing making them a bit harsh in the burbs, awesome midrange tho) and can't gel with the Streetfighter. Always liked the monster styling and lithe nimbleness, but at shopping time just found the price never matched the performance. New one seems to have addressed that, and priced smack bang inbetween S1000r and Superduke money. Seems build quality/finish isn't a strong point from early reports, but as a bike with poise AND pace, it is going on my super naked shopping list for this year.

On a side note, the 848 engine is brilliant around town compared to the 1198, smoother down low, easier transition into its midrange stomp and revs out nice too. It would be a great engine for a Monster no? Or not enough aggression?
                        yes, i am ignorant
                        yes, i am a prick
                        no, i don't care
                        you make me sick

Comment

Originally posted by shortSteve View Post
                          On a side note, the 848 engine is brilliant around town compared to the 1198, smoother down low, easier transition into its midrange stomp and revs out nice too. It would be a great engine for a Monster no? Or not enough aggression?
                          Could be on the cards, the 848 engine is the only option now for streetfighter and hypermotard, they dropped the 1098 and ds1100 options this year.

Both are short range bikes so it makes sense, there's usually a smaller monster offering, currently 659,696 and 796 one of them is due for a workover.
                          Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

almost bought the 1100 monster Evo patto had in the shop, it sold 3 days before my cash came in so went with the judge, great bikes, have to get a 1100evo one day :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Johnno View Post
                              Using the same motor as the Diavel, but lower HP.
                              Multistrada had it first

Seriously though, great engine. Possibly the finest road going engine Ducati's ever made.

Comment

Working...
                              X