Recommnendations required for a Ducati race engine build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommnendations required for a Ducati race engine build

It's been a bit of a journey, complicated by a recent relocation back to Perth after a few years away battling a family health issue, but I'm finally ready to build a decent engine for my old 851 race bike project. The big question is who do I use?

Justin at Pro Twin was my first port of call but I received a response today: he's booked up with building engines until June next year.

As I mentioned, I've been away from Perth for a few too many years so I'm well out of the loop with regards to who is capable of what in town.

I've been squirreling away parts for the last year and half trying to accumulate champagne parts on a beer budget. As per usual things have gotten a lil' out of hand, so I'm looking at a pretty involved build, putting the best parts of the 851, a 748R CR gearbox, big valve heads, big cams, 96mm barrels/pistons blah blah blah into a set of stronger Corse cases.

Any recommendations for someone other than Justin to handle it?

Hmm, I'm not so sure Anthony is keen on the older stuff, maybe check out Andy at Eurocycles - 621 Albany Hwy, Victoria Park WA 6100, 9470 5086
    -

Comment

Thanks heaps! I've got something a lil' newer I can use as bait if necessary.......

Comment

Corse website says rebuilds to motors old and new " COMPLETE ENGINE REBUILDS

From Desmosedici to Darmahs, we can take care of it, whether it be a freshen up due to high mileage or striving for the utmost in power."

Comment

That's not what he told me.
          -

Comment

Brad Black.

http://www.bikeboy.org

Comment

Build it yourself...

There is more info out there for what to do and how to do it to a Ducati motor than any other brand...

Comment

Mate if you want your engine built to last I'd wait. I've worked with Justin when he was back at Vee Two and the guy is meticulous.
                Definitely one of the best engine builders in the country.

I don't doubt there are other good engine guys around but I would hate to be in a position where 6 months down the track you find
                its back together and not quite running the way you want and you wish you had waited.

But at the end of the day its your call. And for those wondering no I don't work with him anymore but since he started Protwin his
                high standards have continued.

Comment

Originally posted by agrid View Post
                  That's not what he told me.
                  He doesn't like you?

or you could build it yourself as Rich... Said but get a booking for next June so Justin can strip it and rebuild it for you?

best of both worlds??

RR
                  http://www.cleanride.com.au - https://www.facebook.com/cleanridedetailingstudio/ - https://twitter.com/CleanRideAD - https://www.instagram.com/clean_ride_aus/

Comment

I pay him, he likes me.
                    -

Comment

Stay away from BH unless you want to wait 2 or 3 years for the build.
                      There are two questions in life.
                      1:Which way do I go
                      2:Whats the lap record.

Comment

Ha, if we're naming places to stay away from...
                        Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
                        1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

Originally posted by jules_1972 View Post
                          To do that I'd basically be shipping 2 x engines, plus a set of empty crank cases, plus a big "fish bin" full of parts, so not really practical in this instance although I'd trust his skills implicitly.

Plus I've spoken to him in the past and.....let's just say I won't be going back there. Don't get me wrong he's an amazing technician, very generous with his encyclopaedic Ducati knowledge, and probably a helluva nice guy in person, but after the communication I had with him online I'd rather make a complete fuck up of it myself than ask him another question or give him my business.

Originally posted by Rich... View Post
                          Build it yourself...

There is more info out there for what to do and how to do it to a Ducati motor than any other brand...
                          Yes, there is, and it is an option, although the sheer amount of information is overwhelming....and often conflicting. Trouble is the thing I have the least of is time, spending half the year away at work and the other half trying to rehabilitate a neglected few acres and the house that John Wayne built (next to no construction/building inspections in WA = shocking build quality) so one on one bike time is virtually non-existent.

Also I'm trying to combine two different era's and styles of desmoquattro into one engine and the differences and idiosyncracies of each are suprisngly many as are opinions on various aspects of building these engines, so who to believe? I've done a shedload of research just getting this far but unfortunately the more you know the more you also realise you don't know. If it was a run of the mill road engine, and just a freshen up no problem at all. But given the time, effort and expense in organising what are in some cases very rare parts I'm quite happy to pay for an expert to maximise their potential. It doesn't always hold true but "you get what you pay for" I reckon.
                          Last edited by slowpoke; 27-10-2014, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sqweegel View Post
                            Mate if you want your engine built to last I'd wait. I've worked with Justin when he was back at Vee Two and the guy is meticulous.
                            Definitely one of the best engine builders in the country.

I don't doubt there are other good engine guys around but I would hate to be in a position where 6 months down the track you find
                            its back together and not quite running the way you want and you wish you had waited.

But at the end of the day its your call. And for those wondering no I don't work with him anymore but since he started Protwin his
                            high standards have continued.
                            Thanks for the inside scoop, hard to beat that sort of recommendation. As for the "just wait" you've pretty much echo'd what my good lady said when I started sookin' to her: if he's booked until June then that just reinforces that he's the right bloke.

It's just frustrating. I committed to this build after a family member lost a battle with cancer, and hearing all the things they put on the back burner and never did for one reason or another. Forget wishing and dreaming, start doing. So building a decent old Duc to race at the Island Classic is what I'm trying to do. But such is life, there's plenty of other stuff to progress like the removeable frame spar to fit the one piece Corsa airbox, instrument holder to suit the Corsa intake (no front subframe), refurbish the scary Marzocchi M1R's seeing WA don't allow the USD Showa's that would have been kosher in NZ etc. Hmmm, it might just work out in the wash after all, lol.

Comment

Working...
                            X