X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slowpoke
    replied
    Originally posted by rod View Post
    Doesn't a 996 engine fit into an 851????
    Yep, even an 1198 will bolt straight in.....but they might have to call for the paramdedics at HCMCWA when a few pacemakers go into overload.

Leave a comment:

• rod
    replied
    Doesn't a 996 engine fit into an 851????

Leave a comment:

• slowpoke
    replied
    Thanks Jules. You've had a lot more to do with Duc's (and stunning ones at that) around here than I have so I appreciate where you are coming from.

Leave a comment:

• sqweegel
    replied
    Originally posted by slowpoke View Post
    Thanks for the inside scoop, hard to beat that sort of recommendation. As for the "just wait" you've pretty much echo'd what my good lady said when I started sookin' to her: if he's booked until June then that just reinforces that he's the right bloke.

It's just frustrating. I committed to this build after a family member lost a battle with cancer, and hearing all the things they put on the back burner and never did for one reason or another. Forget wishing and dreaming, start doing. So building a decent old Duc to race at the Island Classic is what I'm trying to do. But such is life, there's plenty of other stuff to progress like the removeable frame spar to fit the one piece Corsa airbox, instrument holder to suit the Corsa intake (no front subframe), refurbish the scary Marzocchi M1R's seeing WA don't allow the USD Showa's that would have been kosher in NZ etc. Hmmm, it might just work out in the wash after all, lol.
    All good mate. Even when he was at Vee Two he had a back log of guys waiting to get engines built.

Justin is a top bloke aswell and will look after you.

Waiting just gives you time to get everything else sorted so the minute the motor
    Is ready you can get it in and be ready to roll.

Leave a comment:

• jules_1972
    replied
    Originally posted by slowpoke View Post
    To do that I'd basically be shipping 2 x engines, plus a set of empty crank cases, plus a big "fish bin" full of parts, so not really practical in this instance although I'd trust his skills implicitly.

Plus I've spoken to him in the past and.....let's just say I won't be going back there. Don't get me wrong he's an amazing technician, very generous with his encyclopaedic Ducati knowledge, and probably a helluva nice guy in person, but after the communication I had with him online I'd rather make a complete fuck up of it myself than ask him another question or give him my business.

Doesnt matter who who you use, the same scenario applies with the parts.

My reply is/was based on experience with both Brad and Pro Twin.
    not just replying for post count........

Leave a comment:

• slowpoke
    replied
    Originally posted by sqweegel View Post
    Mate if you want your engine built to last I'd wait. I've worked with Justin when he was back at Vee Two and the guy is meticulous.
    Definitely one of the best engine builders in the country.

I don't doubt there are other good engine guys around but I would hate to be in a position where 6 months down the track you find
    its back together and not quite running the way you want and you wish you had waited.

But at the end of the day its your call. And for those wondering no I don't work with him anymore but since he started Protwin his
    high standards have continued.
    Thanks for the inside scoop, hard to beat that sort of recommendation. As for the "just wait" you've pretty much echo'd what my good lady said when I started sookin' to her: if he's booked until June then that just reinforces that he's the right bloke.

It's just frustrating. I committed to this build after a family member lost a battle with cancer, and hearing all the things they put on the back burner and never did for one reason or another. Forget wishing and dreaming, start doing. So building a decent old Duc to race at the Island Classic is what I'm trying to do. But such is life, there's plenty of other stuff to progress like the removeable frame spar to fit the one piece Corsa airbox, instrument holder to suit the Corsa intake (no front subframe), refurbish the scary Marzocchi M1R's seeing WA don't allow the USD Showa's that would have been kosher in NZ etc. Hmmm, it might just work out in the wash after all, lol.

Leave a comment:

• slowpoke
    replied
    Originally posted by jules_1972 View Post
    To do that I'd basically be shipping 2 x engines, plus a set of empty crank cases, plus a big "fish bin" full of parts, so not really practical in this instance although I'd trust his skills implicitly.

Plus I've spoken to him in the past and.....let's just say I won't be going back there. Don't get me wrong he's an amazing technician, very generous with his encyclopaedic Ducati knowledge, and probably a helluva nice guy in person, but after the communication I had with him online I'd rather make a complete fuck up of it myself than ask him another question or give him my business.

Originally posted by Rich... View Post
    Build it yourself...

There is more info out there for what to do and how to do it to a Ducati motor than any other brand...
    Yes, there is, and it is an option, although the sheer amount of information is overwhelming....and often conflicting. Trouble is the thing I have the least of is time, spending half the year away at work and the other half trying to rehabilitate a neglected few acres and the house that John Wayne built (next to no construction/building inspections in WA = shocking build quality) so one on one bike time is virtually non-existent.

Also I'm trying to combine two different era's and styles of desmoquattro into one engine and the differences and idiosyncracies of each are suprisngly many as are opinions on various aspects of building these engines, so who to believe? I've done a shedload of research just getting this far but unfortunately the more you know the more you also realise you don't know. If it was a run of the mill road engine, and just a freshen up no problem at all. But given the time, effort and expense in organising what are in some cases very rare parts I'm quite happy to pay for an expert to maximise their potential. It doesn't always hold true but "you get what you pay for" I reckon.
    Last edited by slowpoke; 27-10-2014, 02:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Loud
    replied
    Ha, if we're naming places to stay away from...

Leave a comment:

• D.J
    replied
    Stay away from BH unless you want to wait 2 or 3 years for the build.

Leave a comment:

• agrid
    replied
    I pay him, he likes me.

Leave a comment:

• RRossi
    replied
    Originally posted by agrid View Post
    That's not what he told me.
    He doesn't like you?

or you could build it yourself as Rich... Said but get a booking for next June so Justin can strip it and rebuild it for you?

best of both worlds??

RR

Leave a comment:

• sqweegel
    replied
    Mate if you want your engine built to last I'd wait. I've worked with Justin when he was back at Vee Two and the guy is meticulous.
    Definitely one of the best engine builders in the country.

I don't doubt there are other good engine guys around but I would hate to be in a position where 6 months down the track you find
    its back together and not quite running the way you want and you wish you had waited.

But at the end of the day its your call. And for those wondering no I don't work with him anymore but since he started Protwin his
    high standards have continued.

Leave a comment:

• Rich...
    replied
    Build it yourself...

There is more info out there for what to do and how to do it to a Ducati motor than any other brand...

Leave a comment:

• jules_1972
    replied
    Brad Black.

http://www.bikeboy.org

Leave a comment:

• agrid
    replied
    That's not what he told me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X