2016 Ducati 959 Panigale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Ducati 959 Panigale

The Ducati 899 Panigale is on its way out, to be replaced for 2016 by a new 959 Panigale. The new sportbike was revealed in an executive order released by the California Air Resources Board, certifying it for sale in the state. The new 959 Panigale will assuredly be one of the nine new models Ducati has promised will debut at EICMA in November.

According to the CARB document, the 959 Panigale will be powered by a 955cc engine, a 57cc boost from the 899. The certification document does not reveal any further details, though we can safely assume the engine is a 90-degree V-Twin like other Ducati sportbikes. It’ll be curious to learn how the bore and stroke differ from the outgoing model’s 100 mm x 57.2 mm.

Despite the larger engine, the 959 Panigale has lower hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide emission levels than the 899, an attempt to meet new Euro 4 emission standards which come into effect in Europe on Jan. 1, 2016.

As for any other details, we’ll have to wait until the lead up to EICMA where the 959 Panigale will make its debut.

[Source: CARB]
    interesting times ahead for ducati with 9 new models announced for 2016

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2015/09/2...outed-by-carb/

2016 Ducati 959 Panigale

Lower emissions with more powa....sounds very vw-esque. Same software?
    Very interesting that this news comes from a government agency before Ducati release information...

Comment

More power due to the additonal 57cc. Less average emissions / cc rather than less emmissions overall.
      Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

Oh look...

It's a almost a sbk...

Honestly, how are ducati-istas still eating this crap up?

Middle weights are best blah blah blah... nek minut, 1000cc 'middle weight'

Omg, ducati is like so creative and much bestest.
        The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

long as their emissions testing isnt like VW???

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Originally posted by 66 View Post
            Oh look...

It's a almost a sbk...

It's evolution man. My 916 used to be a superbike now it's smaller than middle weights, give it a few more years it will probably be LAMS.
            Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Oh look...

It's a almost a sbk...

Oh you mean like Suzuki with it's "handles like a 600 goes like a thou" GSXR750? Except it handles slightly worse than a 600 and goes slightly slower a thou. You know, kinda like, gee I dunno, a 750? Who'd a thunk it eh?

Or Honda with it's 900, 919, 929, 954 "Super" bikes?

Or Triumph with it's 955 "Super" bike?

What's the problem? In today's over-policed world what's the use of a gazillion horsepower if you aren't takin' it to the track? Even if you were who can actually use it to full advantage? Or can afford the tyre bill? I mean why are you racing a 600? Prolly 'cos you want to learn the craft before stepping up? Same goes for something like this.

Personally I reckon a light 150hp bike sounds like a pretty good fit for real world riding. Plenty of folks think a middleweight is too "thrashy" while a superbike is paying through the nose for performance you'll never use.

Creativity? That's pretty rich coming from someone racing an R6, you know, the same bike they've been producing since 2006. Lets give the Yamaha design team a big round of applause eh? Or shall we talk about the Yamaha marketing that trumpeted a 17500rpm redline, at least it was creative, albeit something far removed from the truth.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2006/...ary06_redline/
              Last edited by slowpoke; 29-09-2015, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Exhibition a.

Comment

I'll actually get back to your points when I have time, but answer me this.

What can you do with 150hp that you can't do with 120, but wouldn't be done better with 200?

Comment

hrmm, interesting.

I guess this quashes the rumour of the 1299 being ditched in favour of a 1000cc V4.
                    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Originally posted by slowpoke View Post
                      what's the use of a gazillion horsepower if you aren't takin' it to the track?
                      Because fun

Comment

also new info about the up coming hypermotard will be 939 in displacement
                        "the Hypermotard 939, Hypermotard 939 SP and the touring-oriented Hyperstrada 939."

Comment

I really don't get Ducati sometimes...

Here I was thinking it was only Jap models that had a 2 year run (R6 excluded) but it looks like Ducati are heading the same way...

Its not like the 899 wasn't selling well. And for those who wanted more there was the 1199, Sorry 1299.

I mean what the hell? Why make a small bike bigger when there's already a bigger version available???

And why not go the full 100 cc and make a 999? Hang on a minute...they did that already.....And that didn't seem to help their sales....

If it was substantially different to its larger sibling you could see reason but this is just nuts.......

Comment

I'll actually get back to your points when I have time, but answer me this.

What can you do with 150hp that you can't do with 120, Give your left foot/hand a rest,

but wouldn't be done better with 200? Tyre bills, insurance premiums, cheaper up front cost, inspire confidence. And less expert pilots would probably circulate many tracks quicker with 150hp vs 200hp. Note that many scribes picked the 899 Panigale as a better real world bike than the 1199.
                            From the bikepoint test:

"What Ducati has done with the 899 is take the angry, raw and intimidating 1199 and made it more usable for the everyday rider. You can really ring the 899’s and still feel as though you are riding it and not the other way around.

Motorcycle riding is heavily influenced by confidence, and the 899 fills the rider with such self-assurance that I’m going to go out on the limb and say most riders would be able to ride the 899 faster and safer than they ever could the 1199."

http://www.bikepoint.com.au/content/...panigale-42947

Google a few more reviews and the sentiment is echo'd by many other testers:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2...-899-panigale/

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/03/26...pecifications/

"So we had two-time AMA SuperSport championship runner-up Hayden Gillim run the two back to back on the tight and twisty Streets of Willow Springs. With our VBOX recording the data, the lighter, more agile 899 trounced the 1199 by 1.4 seconds (1:18.94 versus 1:20.36), even though its max trap speed of 127.5 mph was significantly slower than the 1199’s 133.4."

Sorry, for the tone of my previous post. I just get a lil' sick of folks bashing Ducati when comparatively they have pushed the design envelop in recent years, vs the Japanese who by and large have just kept churning out the same old UJM beam frame IL4's. The GSXR1000 is 6 years old, CBR1000RR is basically 7 years old, the R1 was 6 years old before the recent update, ZX10R 6 (?) years old, etc etc.

Whereas in the same time Ducati have produced 1098, 1198, 899, 1199, 1299 not to mention all the variants thereof.

Ducati's aren't everyone's cup of Dilmah, (hell, I own a couple and I'm not a fan of many of 'em myself), and I'm not saying they are any better, but I take my hat off to Ducati for pushing forward in tough times instead of retreating as the Japanese have done.
                            Last edited by slowpoke; 29-09-2015, 03:22 PM.

Comment

First off... the 1098 is the same bike as the 1198, and the 1199 is the same as the 1299... if you're not counting minor updates of honda, yamaha, suzuki and the 4 year old ZX10R. S, R, Evo is purely catering for the market. Clever marketing, hardly anything more.

As for that lap time...
                              You just put a supersport rider on a sbk and expected sbk lap times?
                              Haha. Yeah.. that's a legitimate and unbiased test. Don't beleive what the jurnos write, more power is faster... maybe harder to use, but always faster.

You bought a ducati... you really worried about value? Tyre bills, servicing, insurance... yeah righto. Why not go smaller then? Making an 899 a 959 isn't going to make any of those cheaper anyway. So why do it?

And my main picking point, if there is SUCH a desire for a middleweight bike, a 'i haven't quite found my big boy pants yet' stepping stone.... then why do peoe keep lapping up bigger and bigger middleweights from the Italian mob?

Ducati has a habbit of naming their sports bikes based (very loosely) on their capacity. Seems they are just building bigger engines because they haven't figured out a new naming convention yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X