No locals racing Italian bikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Prefectionist View Post
    I'd say the generally higher cost of not just the bike itself, but also the parts to get it set up (and to replace if you bin it) for racing plays a big role in this.
    I'd say that's hit the nail on the head.

They just aren't cost effective in terms of performance per dollar.

Things like soul, passion, blah-blah (most of the duc selling points) don't mean shit when the aim is to go as fast as possible within your budget.

Sure, if you have a WSBK budget and full factory support you can race an 1199 fairly competitively (and still get destroyed by ZX-10Rs based on the 2015 season), but for the average privateer I suspect it's just a non-starter in terms of bang for buck.
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanoceros View Post
      Time bombs
      fixed
      Here lies the body of Harold Day
      He knew it was his right of way.
      He was right, dead right, as he rode along
      But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.

Comment

My neighbour is racing an Aprillia. No idea what category, but I know it's in a competitive class.

Comment

Seems all the marketing in the world wont turn it into a racebike.

We wuz duped.

Comment

There is an Aprillia RSV4 racing in Club 1000, and Donsie 33 rides a MV Agusta there too. Or don't you count them as a real Italian bikes?

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedTrip View Post
              There is an Aprillia RSV4 racing in Club 1000, and Donsie 33 rides a MV Agusta there too. Or don't you count them as a real Italian bikes?
              1 (or two) out of how many on the grid?

“Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                1 (or two) out of how many on the grid?

That wasn't the OP's question though was it now Jethro?

Comment

Originally posted by slowpoke View Post
                  I managed to free up a few hours on the weekend and took off for Barb's on Sunday arvo to catch the end of the last race round. I enjoyed some great racing but I couldn't help being disappointed when I couldn't see/hear a single Italian bike on track. What's the go? Where are we all?

My never-ending 749/999R project is pretty much complete so I'm hoping to finally get back into it after too long away, but sheesh, how do you say "Nigel-no-mates" in Italian?
                  Pro Twin should have their 1198 R racebike out for next season or so i heard. They also have a 1098 Race bike for sale for 15k i think.

debated about buying/building a track only 1199 but as mention the higher cost of the bike and cost to replace parts if you bin it, is what put me off

Comment

Originally posted by Loud View Post
                    What's the plural for Panigale?
                    Bancrupcie?
                    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                    Originally posted by Phildo
                    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                    Originally posted by filbert
                    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

That wasn't the OP's question though was it now Jethro?
                      Well no, if you want to be pedantic about it and take the question absolutely literally (as opposed to 'there are no italian bikes racing' taken as 'i never see any'), sure.

But 1-2 bikes in all racing grids in the state is hardly a comparable quantity to the Jap brands is it?

Comment

Well no, if you want to be pedantic about it and take the question absolutely literally (as opposed to 'there are no italian bikes racing' taken as 'i never see any'), sure.

But 1-2 bikes in all racing grids in the state is hardly a comparable quantity to the Jap brands is it?
                        I didn't say that, and I'm not questioning that stat, the OP said that there were NO Italian bikes there last weekend when I know for a fact that there was.
                        Were you there? Do you have anything to do with road racing in this state?
                        Now if the OP asked why were there no Ducati's racing then that's a different question entirely isn't it?
                        People race and ride for different reasons, for some it's just to win and for others it's a passion to ride what they love.

Comment

People race and ride for different reasons, for some it's just to win and for others it's a passion to ride what they love.
                          And that's fine. But there's a reason they're not popular (and it's not just amongst local racers, check the grid in the Irish road racing scene, etc.)

Anyway...

Comment

And that's fine. But there's a reason they're not popular (and it's not just amongst local racers, check the grid in the Irish road racing scene, etc.)

Anyway...
                            I'm not denying that fact for the reasons already mentioned , just pointing out that the OP was incorrect when saying that there were 0 Italian bikes there, unless you have your Ducati blinkers on.

Come and watch some racing yourself next year or better still come and volunteer as a flaggie maybe, be involved since you seem passionate and so highly educated enough to comment on every aspect of it.
                            We would welcome someone with your expertise to help out.

Comment

Originally posted by BikeRider View Post
                              They stopped racing when the Latte vendors were removed. ;-)
                              And here's me thinking it was the lack of mirrors on the dummy grid, lol.

Originally posted by D996R View Post
                              There are a pair of Panigale race bikes for sale at Corse Motorcycles showroom. Craig McMartin engines or something. They look the biz......

Got a pic of the 851 Slowpoke?
                              Why'd ya have to mention those ex-McMartin Panigale's, talk about putting a tent in a blokes trousers! At $30k each for fully refreshed bikes they are damn good value. Even buying a s/h ZX10R, add TTX/NIX suspenders, race ECU, blue printed engine, Akra exhaust, race glass and pro-paint, rearsets etc etc and you wouldn't have change from $30k. Not to mention the Pani will retain more value after say 2 years.

Pic of the 851? It's a lil' difficult as it's a work in progress. We had to relocate back from NZ recently so I just threw what I had together to gain import approval and for ease of transport so the pic below is not really representative of the finished product, you'll have to cut me some slack. The other pic is as it sat a few weeks ago. With the engine away getting a wee tickle up it seemed like a good time to do some frame mods to hopefully help alleviate the dreaded crank-case cracking once hp/revs are added to these ol' girls, and to make the frame brace removeable so I can fit a Corsa 1-piece airbox. It's been years collecting the parts I need but once the frame is sorted and painted it should come together again reasonably quickly....famous last words, haha.

[IMG][/IMG]
                              [IMG][/IMG]

Sure, if you have a WSBK budget and full factory support you can race an 1199 fairly competitively (and still get destroyed by ZX-10Rs based on the 2015 season), but for the average privateer I suspect it's just a non-starter in terms of bang for buck.
                              Which 2015 season are you talking about? WSB? WSB bikes aren't really a fair comparison to even our National level race bikes, with their underseat fuel tanks, aftermarket mega-dollar swingarms, adjustable offset triple trees, unobtainium suspension, etc etc. FIM Superstock 1000 is probably a better benchmark for our fairly low spec race bikes :

2015 Superstock 1000 results:
                              1. L. SAVADORI APRILIA 164
                              2. R. TAMBURINI BMW 142
                              3. R. DE ROSA DUCATI 121
                              4. J. GUARNONI YAMAHA 91
                              5. O. JEZEK DUCATI 82
                              6. K. COGHLAN YAMAHA 72
                              7. K. CALIA APRILIA 63
                              8. F. MASSEI DUCATI 60
                              9. B. STARING KAWASAKI 53
                              C. BERGMAN
                              YAMAHA
                              Aprilia this year, and Ducati won it last year, so the Italian gear is more than competitive in trim closer to our race bikes Downunder.

Don't get me wrong, I get that they aren't cheap, but given so many folks buy 'em for the road I just figured a few more would take 'em to the track.

'Course they're real Italian bikes, lol. I did see an RSV4 in the pits with a monster looking exhaust I could have fit my arm down but it wasn't circulating on Sunday arvo so I was disappointed not to see/hear it in anger. I didn't see any MV's, but it was the last afternoon of a 2 day meeting so may well have been out earlier in the weekend.

Comment

Ben Stronach ran 1098Rs in 2009/10 if I remember correctly. They were about 100k each and they were changing the clutch pretty much after every session...so unless you got deep pockets, they are not very cost effective. Not sur about the Aprillias tho, they seem to go ok...
                                SP RACINGis supported by:
                                MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
                                Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
                                Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

Comment

Working...
                                X