Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donsie
    replied
    Turbs hated being beaten by a fat old bloke on an old MV , hey Turbs.
    The one race meeting I don't show up because I'm spending too much time in Hospitals and someone show's up looking for Italian bikes - figures.

Leave a comment:

• TurboR1
    replied
    Originally posted by Prefectionist View Post
    I remember that as well. Think it was TurboR1.
    Easily.

Leave a comment:

• Commander Keen
    replied
    Those superdukes in Club 1000 are seriously fast.

Leave a comment:

• Monty
    replied
    There was a White Duc that is in superbike but he didnt make it thru first prac unfortunately. actually is it white or did he go red again i cant remember

Leave a comment:

• slowpoke
    replied
    Originally posted by bratt01 View Post
    You mustve not been paying attention. There was 1 RSV4 on track both Saturday and Sunday, yellow colours.
    And its unfortunate that it was the only italian bike on the grid all weekend.
    As mentioned, I definitely saw the RSV4 in the pits when I got there Sunday arvo....but it didn't make it out all afternoon that I could see/hear (love the sound of those things!) but may be wrong.

It just struck me when I saw a couple of guys having a blast in Clubbies on a couple of KTM Superdukes, and it seemed weird that there were more KTM's road racing than Italian bikes, then the penny dropped "hang on a minute, I don't think I've seen any Italian bikes on track......."

It's been a crap year or two for bikes for me so haven't made it to the track since last season when there was a couple of 1198's, a Panigale, RSV4 and a guy in Clubman's doing a great job at the pointy end on an out gunned RSV twin. With the price of used Pani's, RSV4's etc coming down, and MV's 675 being such a lil' ripper I thought the number of folks eating pasta in the pits would have increased not dropped off.

No biggie, I was just a lil' surprised is all.

Originally posted by AZAZL View Post
    Id race mine if I wasnt so useless. Love em.
    Awww c'mon, racing is like sex: I'm not gonna let a lack of talent at either spoil the fun.
    Last edited by slowpoke; 17-11-2015, 09:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• AZAZL
    replied
    Id race mine if I wasnt so useless. Love em.

Leave a comment:

• bratt01
    replied
    Originally posted by Para045 View Post
    Maybe that's the problem? They are expecting it to be red and parked on the side of the track waiting on a flatbed [emoji14]
    Hahaha

Leave a comment:

• Para045
    replied
    Originally posted by bratt01 View Post
    You mustve not been paying attention. There was 1 RSV4 on track both Saturday and Sunday, yellow colours.
    Maybe that's the problem? They are expecting it to be red and parked on the side of the track waiting on a flatbed

Leave a comment:

• bratt01
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Commander Keen
    replied
    Originally posted by Aufitt View Post
    Seems all the marketing in the world wont turn it into a racebike.

We wuz duped.
    Don't you understand? It's already a race bike!

Leave a comment:

• D996R
    replied
    Originally posted by slowpoke View Post
    Pic of the 851? It's a lil' difficult as it's a work in progress. We had to relocate back from NZ recently so I just threw what I had together to gain import approval and for ease of transport so the pic below is not really representative of the finished product, you'll have to cut me some slack. The other pic is as it sat a few weeks ago. With the engine away getting a wee tickle up it seemed like a good time to do some frame mods to hopefully help alleviate the dreaded crank-case cracking once hp/revs are added to these ol' girls, and to make the frame brace removeable so I can fit a Corsa 1-piece airbox. It's been years collecting the parts I need but once the frame is sorted and painted it should come together again reasonably quickly....famous last words, haha.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    HAHA I'm doing the same, in preparation for going the opposite direction.

I feel your pain about collecting parts over years and years......

Leave a comment:

• Stephan
    replied
    Ben Stronach ran 1098Rs in 2009/10 if I remember correctly. They were about 100k each and they were changing the clutch pretty much after every session...so unless you got deep pockets, they are not very cost effective. Not sur about the Aprillias tho, they seem to go ok...

Leave a comment:

• slowpoke
    replied
    Originally posted by BikeRider View Post
    They stopped racing when the Latte vendors were removed. ;-)
    And here's me thinking it was the lack of mirrors on the dummy grid, lol.

Originally posted by D996R View Post
    There are a pair of Panigale race bikes for sale at Corse Motorcycles showroom. Craig McMartin engines or something. They look the biz......

Got a pic of the 851 Slowpoke?
    Why'd ya have to mention those ex-McMartin Panigale's, talk about putting a tent in a blokes trousers! At $30k each for fully refreshed bikes they are damn good value. Even buying a s/h ZX10R, add TTX/NIX suspenders, race ECU, blue printed engine, Akra exhaust, race glass and pro-paint, rearsets etc etc and you wouldn't have change from $30k. Not to mention the Pani will retain more value after say 2 years.

Pic of the 851? It's a lil' difficult as it's a work in progress. We had to relocate back from NZ recently so I just threw what I had together to gain import approval and for ease of transport so the pic below is not really representative of the finished product, you'll have to cut me some slack. The other pic is as it sat a few weeks ago. With the engine away getting a wee tickle up it seemed like a good time to do some frame mods to hopefully help alleviate the dreaded crank-case cracking once hp/revs are added to these ol' girls, and to make the frame brace removeable so I can fit a Corsa 1-piece airbox. It's been years collecting the parts I need but once the frame is sorted and painted it should come together again reasonably quickly....famous last words, haha.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Originally posted by thro View Post
    Sure, if you have a WSBK budget and full factory support you can race an 1199 fairly competitively (and still get destroyed by ZX-10Rs based on the 2015 season), but for the average privateer I suspect it's just a non-starter in terms of bang for buck.
    Which 2015 season are you talking about? WSB? WSB bikes aren't really a fair comparison to even our National level race bikes, with their underseat fuel tanks, aftermarket mega-dollar swingarms, adjustable offset triple trees, unobtainium suspension, etc etc. FIM Superstock 1000 is probably a better benchmark for our fairly low spec race bikes :

2015 Superstock 1000 results:
    1. L. SAVADORI APRILIA 164
    2. R. TAMBURINI BMW 142
    3. R. DE ROSA DUCATI 121
    4. J. GUARNONI YAMAHA 91
    5. O. JEZEK DUCATI 82
    6. K. COGHLAN YAMAHA 72
    7. K. CALIA APRILIA 63
    8. F. MASSEI DUCATI 60
    9. B. STARING KAWASAKI 53
    C. BERGMAN
    YAMAHA
    Aprilia this year, and Ducati won it last year, so the Italian gear is more than competitive in trim closer to our race bikes Downunder.

Don't get me wrong, I get that they aren't cheap, but given so many folks buy 'em for the road I just figured a few more would take 'em to the track.

Originally posted by SpeedTrip View Post
    There is an Aprillia RSV4 racing in Club 1000, and Donsie 33 rides a MV Agusta there too. Or don't you count them as a real Italian bikes?
    'Course they're real Italian bikes, lol. I did see an RSV4 in the pits with a monster looking exhaust I could have fit my arm down but it wasn't circulating on Sunday arvo so I was disappointed not to see/hear it in anger. I didn't see any MV's, but it was the last afternoon of a 2 day meeting so may well have been out earlier in the weekend.

Leave a comment:

• SpeedTrip
    replied
    Originally posted by thro View Post
    And that's fine. But there's a reason they're not popular (and it's not just amongst local racers, check the grid in the Irish road racing scene, etc.)

Anyway...
    I'm not denying that fact for the reasons already mentioned , just pointing out that the OP was incorrect when saying that there were 0 Italian bikes there, unless you have your Ducati blinkers on.

Come and watch some racing yourself next year or better still come and volunteer as a flaggie maybe, be involved since you seem passionate and so highly educated enough to comment on every aspect of it.
    We would welcome someone with your expertise to help out.

Leave a comment:

• thro
    replied
    Originally posted by SpeedTrip View Post
    People race and ride for different reasons, for some it's just to win and for others it's a passion to ride what they love.
    And that's fine. But there's a reason they're not popular (and it's not just amongst local racers, check the grid in the Irish road racing scene, etc.)

Anyway...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X