No announcement yet.

Dry clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t think its reasonable to include replacemt tyre costs as part of a service cost, unless someone is suggesting that under like for like riding Dukes go through tyres twice as quick as japanese bikes

Comment

Originally posted by gareth_oau View Post
      I don’t think its reasonable to include replacemt tyre costs as part of a service cost, unless someone is suggesting that under like for like riding Dukes go through tyres twice as quick as japanese bikes
      The clutch plates were rooted after 36,000km so I was happy to replace them. The binding thing seems to have gone away so I'm wondering if the plates were getting out of shape. Not sure though.

I agree about the tyre costs, I just threw it in the mix so the filthy, low-life Japper riders could celebrate that a wealthy, sophisticated Ducatisiti like myself would spend so much money on a routine service. I'm easily amused.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by agrid View Post
        I agree about the tyre costs, I just threw it in the mix so the filthy, low-life Japper riders could celebrate that a wealthy, sophisticated Ducatisiti like myself would spend so much money on a routine service. I'm easily amused.
        Haha, understood.....on several levels! I’m in no position to point the bone on how things should be done to keep costs down, that boat sailed many financial years ago. Like you I choose to laugh rather than cry about it otherwise Lifeline would be hearing from me every other week.

Comment

Servicing and replacement of Ducati's slipper clutch in the 1098R is surprisingly easy and cheap to do.

Well trolled Sir. Well trolled.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Nero Diablo View Post
          Here I was thinking that my old wog tractor was probably looking expensive to service with its 5000kms interval, you're only $600 short on the 140 000kms engine rebuild I had a few years ago.
          You might have got another 60,000 or so out of it before anything major. IIRC that was due to a flat slide failure?
          The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

Originally posted by AZAZL View Post

- - - Updated - - -

You might have got another 60,000 or so out of it before anything major. IIRC that was due to a flat slide failure?
            Yes however we got a lot of torque back after the exercise and the piston skirts were stained with fuel. So no major failure but a lot of wear.
            Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Yes however we got a lot of torque back after the exercise and the piston skirts were stained with fuel. So no major failure but a lot of wear.
              Rings failed..???

Over fuelling due to carbies flooding..? ( I learn a lot fron others experiences..;-)
              " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

That's good. I wasn't sure how that went and thought it might have been catastrophic.

Comment

Originally posted by GsxInShed View Post
                  Rings failed..???

Over fuelling due to carbies flooding..? ( I learn a lot fron others experiences..;-)
                  As I understand bit of the flat slide broke off and got ingested. I had heard about it in 2010 on another guzzi 1100 when at TLM in the Nertherlands. The old rattly Keihin 41mm ones. Not sure if it exactly what happened to ND's but hasn't happened to mine (yet....) and I've not heard about it for any other bike.

The later keihins on my 1000 don't rattle. Rollers maybe, have not looked./

Comment

Originally posted by AZAZL View Post
                    That's good. I wasn't sure how that went and thought it might have been catastrophic.
                    It happened at idle at a set of lights, I turned it off straight away as soon as I heard it, we may have bent a valve (the stems were so worn they were replaced anyway) and scuffed the cylinder where the piston rings didn't run. Basically we got away with it the heads go a mild port and polish while we were in there and yes its the old school rattly slides they do have rollers but I'm not sure of what else might be different.
                    Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Working...
                    X