• Davidf
    started a topic Aprilia RSV4 x limited edition

Aprilia RSV4 x limited edition

For the price it's pretty nuts....

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-b...eapon-launched

• thro
    replied
    Originally posted by TurboR1 View Post
    However after a decade of riding and racing R1's, ZX10R's and any number of other 1000cc super bikes, jumping on a 20year old design bike, while still fun, was hardly the experience that my rose coloured youth painted it out to be.
    Because...

Originally posted by thro
    anything other than the brain-out sport bike formula of "japanese 4 stroke inline 4"
    we have inline 4 sports bikes that are far more capable today.

buying an old one is just... buying something less advanced. for the most part. old versions of exactly the same formula are imho always going to be a disappointment.

probably doesn't help that it would have about 2/3 the horses at the wheel of your ZX10... at best

Leave a comment:

• TurboR1
    replied
    Originally posted by Kristy View Post
    There's also nostalgic childhood dream bikes people buy which may have no monetary value - my childhood dream bike was a green kwaka ninja...
    Case in point, me buying a ZX7R last year as I always wanted one when I first started riding but couldn't afford it. Knowing that back in the day they were a great handling, powerful race bike.

However after a decade of riding and racing R1's, ZX10R's and any number of other 1000cc super bikes, jumping on a 20year old design bike, while still fun, was hardly the experience that my rose coloured youth painted it out to be.

Leave a comment:

• thro
    replied
    Buying to make money is of course dubious.

But if you can get something that is fun to own and ride and not lose money or maybe even come out in front - essentially free money vs. buying a new jap inline 4 like everyone else and taking the massive depreciation hit.

Had this discussion with a mate regarding cars.

If you want to find out what's going to be worth a mint in future, probably talk to kids age 6-12 and see what they dream about owning today. Then buy it in 5-10 year's time while its still cheap

I remember when the VL walkinshaw came out for example. A lot of adults at the time called it the plastic fantastic and crapped on it.

Now? worth heaps. One recently sold for $340k

Leave a comment:

• Kristy
    replied
    Seems funny talking about value of bikes because we don't buy them to make money (I don't regret one cent I've spent on bikes). If making $ was our intent, there's definitely better investments to be made.

Agree with them only technically depreciating if you sell them. If you know it's a keeper, sure; but often those that appreciate in value likely go through many owners before people retrospectively realise their value/worth compared to what has subsequently been released, and then become a keeper. Similarly, while something may appreciate, again only relevant if you sell. I guess with manufacturing restrictions getting tighter and with all the rider safety bs, older bikes look increasingly attractive. I guess also you don't know that the tech development at that time, while possibly groundbreaking is not to be developed further/made again etc.
    There's also nostalgic childhood dream bikes people buy which may have no monetary value - my childhood dream bike was a green kwaka ninja... I clearly had no taste
    To date, I don't regret selling any of my bikes. A few were harder to sell than others because of my personal attachment to them, the others were easy. None of them unique though, or likely to be sought after in future.
    Last edited by Kristy; 07-04-2019, 11:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• thro
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
    They only depreciate if you sell them.
    And if you keep them long enough, and buy something reasonably niche, they appreciate again

V4s, 2 strokes, triples.... anything other than the brain-out sport bike formula of "japanese 4 stroke inline 4" (which from a performance standpoint is of course cheap bang for buck) imho will eventually appreciate.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bean
    replied
    They only depreciate if you sell them.

Leave a comment:

• Kristy
    replied
    I've bought one bike from new because I simply *had* to have it, and two ex-demos. The second you ride out of the carpark it's lost 1 to 2 grand... I don't know too many people who willingly hand over a couple of grand without blinking. But I guess, to each their own - if they want to pay for an unmolested bike/car so be it. Plus, someone has to buy them new so I can buy them once they've done the bulk of their depreciating. Though I was surprised how much my Golf GTI was still depreciating after 5 years.

Edit: and then there's loans on depreciating assets which has even more of an impact.
    Last edited by Kristy; 06-04-2019, 02:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TurboR1
    replied
    Getting an Italian bike second hand after the bulk of the depreciation has been done will only leave you with hoping that the previous owner has fixed all the things (correctly) that should been recalls but weren’t. There is the benefit that a lot of the good stuff is already on there. But to get one from new? Nope.

Leave a comment:

• sixofthebest
    replied
    I agree - I’m facing the same question right now as it’s getting to be time for a change. I want (in order):
    - Excellent suspension
    - Excellent brakes
    - Decent streetable power (Tuono is overkill for my use but no real harm done there)
    - Decent safety packages for when I’m not at my best

An MT-09sp with new forks is probably close financially but then if I want top notch brakes the budget is blown and it’s still an MT-09 engine.

Triumph RS / MT-10sp / s1000r are next but they’re not exactly cheap - may as well have a Tuono for that money. That engine after all... but the yam/bmw would probably depreciate a little less and be more reliable...

Leave a comment:

• BillyBoof
    replied
    One of the reasons I bought the tuono over other bikes was it was already fully kitted out, braided lines, bad ass suspension, killer brakes, awesome seat. Motor hubba hubba. Sounds and looks great with the stock exhaust IMO.
    Good enough for no modding to be done.

I'm genuinely curious for the same price point NEW what other bikes are out there that offer the same.

The other contributing factor was if I bought a new bike and chucked more dough at it the lovely lady in my life would have gone troppo at that time.

Leave a comment:

• thro
    replied
    Originally posted by TurboR1 View Post
    The Aprilia Factory is pretty good, but the ZX10R I built will eat it up, spit it out and wouldn't even break sweat doing so.

If you bought one (anything Italian really) new you'd be pretty disappointed, as you could buy almost anything out of Japan and for less than the difference in modifications you could build something truly special.
    Performance wise you're comparing a heavily modified ZX10 vs. a stock RSV4 that probably cost you (secondhand) 1/3 the price (and will sell for roughly what you purchased it for).

Noise wise/looks wise = no contest.

But yeah - new for new i agree. Though it is certainly closer now than before - the Jap superbikes start at what... 22-24 grand now? Almost new italian bike price.

But if you buy a brand new superbike bike of any description you've got rocks in your head IMHO.

You may as well set money on fire.

(oblig: "And if you buy something italian - you can!")

Leave a comment:

• BillyBoof
    replied
    Buyers remorse? Nup not once. Fucken love riding my ape.

Leave a comment:

• TurboR1
    replied
    The Aprilia Factory is pretty good, but the ZX10R I built will eat it up, spit it out and wouldn't even break sweat doing so.

If you bought one (anything Italian really) new you'd be pretty disappointed, as you could buy almost anything out of Japan and for less than the difference in modifications you could build something truly special.

Leave a comment:

• BillyBoof
    replied
    Cough Tuono cough

Leave a comment:

Working...
X