Aprilia RS125 AU version Restricted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aprilia RS125 AU version Restricted?

Hey guys, this post is more towards the RS125 owners out there, ive recently bought the bike and got it on monday, it ran fine for the first 2 days, then i didnt run it at all wednesday and when i went to try start it thursday it had problems starting, ive tried alot of things and have come to the conclusion that the spark plug might be gone. The reason i say this is because i tried taking the spark out and looking for a spark when pressing the ignition but didnt see any spark.

Now the question is whether AUS has the restricted of unrestricted version and whether i should be using the BR8ES or the BR10EG as it says in the manual, the BR10EG plug is for the full power version, but i read elsewhere that if i use a BR8ES on an unrestricted bike then it could blow a hole in the piston?

Any advice would be great thanks.

Pretty sure they are not restricted in Australia, Stratos may be able to shed some light on the situation though

Comment

I don't own an RS125, but I reckon I can take a stab at this.

BR8 will be a hot plug.

BR10 will be a cold plug.

The rest of the plug description will relate to length of plug and the electrode material used.

Use BR8 if running in cold temps, BR10 if you are running WOT or in hot conditions. Running a hot plug on a hot day will cause damage (which varies but hole in piston is about right).

The correct answer is to read the manual which will tell you which one to use. They may give a range, say 8 for cold climate, 9 for normal and 10 for warm climate. An rs125 owner may be able to help with a manual.

The aus version will most likely be unrestricted. For what it is worth, no spark (if earthed correctly) is more of a concern. You need to provide more info such as what condition is the current spark plug in, what is the current spark plug, is the battery in good nick and so on.
      Last edited by rgvlee; 07-12-2007, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Lee is on the money with the spark plugs. I use a BR9EIX which is an iridum one, works really well. Its a balance between 8 & 10 because i dont hammer the bike 24/7, only half that . If you get the 10 and dont ride like your trying to win a MotoGP you will be forever cleaning a fouled plug, and like you said 8 will blow a hole in your pistion if you wring its neck for too long. Cost about $20 and you have to give supercrap a fair notice before you want it because its not a plug for ur adverage dunnydore or falcoon.

Your bike will be derestricted, all AU versions are.

Now before i start the scary part im going to ask you a SERIOUS question. Is the kill switch on or off? This kills the spark so the engine will spin but not fire. Last time i had my bike in bits i went to start it after and it was a no go. After shitting myself for several hours i had one last look at the wiring diagrams and saw a magical little word called 'KILLSWITCH'. Sure enough i was as drunk as a cunt when i did it, so i dont remember flicking the kill switch when working on it. So that might be one for you to check.

Also check all Iginition wiring connections for anything loose or corroded.

What im concerned about is if someone has done the CDI mod to remove the flat spot in the middle of the rev range (stupid emission control). Its awesome if its done and it really holds the bike back, but to do this you must cut the silicone out the back of the CDI and chop a little wire. If they havent sealed it properly after opening it water will get in and the CDI will probably shit itself.

Judging by the fact that it 'happened overnight' id be more inclined to think its just the killswitch or a loose wire. PM me if you need any more help.
        I love two strokes. Because they annoy the shit out of people. ^_^

Comment

Did you have the spark plug earthed? It may just be fouled?

Comment

The BR series plugs are not hard to find. Any good suzuki shop should stock them.

Comment

Originally posted by rgvlee View Post
              The BR series plugs are not hard to find. Any good suzuki shop should stock them.
              I buy a couple at a time from McCulloch's in Vic park. Good bunch of guys work there, check em out if you are close

Comment

stratos, that kill switch still getting to you hehe
                i will vouch for strato's abiltity to make the rs125 work at its best. just make sure you feed him piss AFTER he has repaired the bike

Comment

double post
                  Last edited by evo9ace; 07-12-2007, 03:40 PM. Reason: repost

Comment

hey guys i got the br8eg plug and it started up fine with it, i think the problem was that the 10 was abit covered in oil and was abit flooded, so we emptied out the chamber of the fuel by letting it evaporate and then started it up with the 8 and it went fine. So i think ill take Alex's advice and get a 9 for in between because i dont ride like im trying to win the motogp all the time it will be a good balance. might keep a few 9s and 10s on me so i can change for the condition. Planning on a trakday in feb so ill change it back to the 10 for that.

Anyway another thing was wondering is the fact the bike has no power at about 4000, but i think this might be just because of the 2 stroke? and my throttle also seems abit laggy to show the rpm on the tacho. Otherwise bike runs awesome.

Should be due for a piston change soon thinking if i should get an aftermarket kit from ebay like the mitaka kit, just doing a top end or maybe do the conrod aswell for the bottom end, dont know how important it is. Or should i stick with the genuine aprilia parts to be safe?

BTw thanks for the fast replies!

Comment

Originally posted by staryknight View Post
                      Anyway another thing was wondering is the fact the bike has no power at about 4000, but i think this might be just because of the 2 stroke? and my throttle also seems abit laggy to show the rpm on the tacho. Otherwise bike runs awesome.

Should be due for a piston change soon thinking if i should get an aftermarket kit from ebay like the mitaka kit, just doing a top end or maybe do the conrod aswell for the bottom end, dont know how important it is. Or should i stick with the genuine aprilia parts to be safe?

BTw thanks for the fast replies!
                      (this is stratos btw nips is logged in too lazy to change)

Piston and rings at 16,000km

It sounds like the CDI mod hasn't been done. Bring the bike to desmo's house on the 15th and ill do a few lil things that should free her right up!

Comment

cut the go-fast wires!
                        If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

ahh thanks for the invite!
                          id love to come but will be in melbourne from sunday till the 18th for the Aus FSAE competition with uni.
                          Im gonna miss out on alot of riding! im still learning to get used to my bike, how to launch it properly and stuff, the clutch is hard to handle well on these 2 strokes. :S

Comment

Originally posted by staryknight View Post
                            ahh thanks for the invite!
                            id love to come but will be in melbourne from sunday till the 18th for the Aus FSAE competition with uni.
                            Im gonna miss out on alot of riding! im still learning to get used to my bike, how to launch it properly and stuff, the clutch is hard to handle well on these 2 strokes. :S
                            Bah! Take it drag racing and you will learn clutch control! 1st time i ever went on the 125 i managed to come 3rd overall in the over 11 sec class! To launch em hard find the friction point, give it at least 8000rpm and feather the clutch in, quickly but smoothly. I can do the 60 footers in 2.3 sec!

Wozza g/b oil like? Its a pitty you cant make it to desmo's! Is the bike running now? What was the problem?
                            Last edited by Stratos; 08-12-2007, 02:10 PM.
                            I love two strokes. Because they annoy the shit out of people. ^_^

Comment

.. I think there may be some evidence to the contrary around here somewhere

Originally posted by Stratos View Post
                              Its a balance between 8 & 10 because i dont hammer the bike 24/7, only half that .
                              Stratos, drunk, a rare event indeed

Originally posted by Stratos View Post
                              Sure enough i was as drunk as a cunt when i did it, so i dont remember flicking the kill switch when working on it.
                              .. and thats Racer # 193 to y'all; my fabulous sponsors (who all do good shit) are: Graeme Fleming IT Consultants, Vision Image, Pacific Safety Wear, Excess Power Equipment, Pro Photo Booth

.. and according to Sean'o: 'get the Kwaka (never thought i would say that!)'

Comment

Working...
                              X