Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 valve ducati longetivity and maintenance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 valve ducati longetivity and maintenance.

I am looking at a ss1000ds, Was wondering the maintenance involved in one of these as I clock up about 24,000/per annum and trying to weigh up the cost.

Will these clock big numbers with-out hassle?

I understand with the dry clutch I will be looking at replacing that each 10k or so? Belts and valve adjustment at 20k? What are the cost likely to be at say pro-twin for these?

Is there anything else desmo related that I am missing compared to the average japanese steed.

Don't worry about taking it to anyone for the belts and shims mate, we'll get together, go halves on the tools and do them ourselves, at least you know it'll be done properly.
    My old 600 Monster did thousands and thousands of kays without too many dramas at all.
    Dry clutches can be a bit juddery when they get hot, and the clutch is quite heavy, although you can get a larger slave cylinder to alleviate this problem.

Comment

not wanting to bag out Ducati's but it does pose the question, how true is this statment

'Ducati, making mechanics out of riders since 1936'
      Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Originally posted by arwon View Post
        not wanting to bag out Ducati's but it does pose the question, how true is this statment

'Ducati, making mechanics out of riders since 1936'
        Well considering Ducati was founded in 1926 as an electronics firm, didn't produce their first bike until 1950, and didn't become Ducati Meccanica SpA until 1953, I'd say false.

Comment

C'mon Desmo the lil' puppy was technically a motorcycle, as for high klms 54,000 in two years and trouble free (600m 96 model).
          DUCATI 999S R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by ducmon View Post
            C'mon Desmo the lil' puppy was technically a motorcycle, as for high klms 54,000 in two years and trouble free (600m 96 model).
            You would probably know (i think I read you where at a ducati dealership) is there any inherent problems with the ss1000 Dual spark?

Thanks, have googled but it's hard to find real info not from either a die hard fan or anti-rhetoric.

Cheers Shane.

Comment

I have 15k on my 2 valver
              Clutch is going strong (you should get way more than 10k from a clutch)
              Belts will be looked at soon
              starts 1st time every time
              it can get hot on very hot days, but with high ambient air temps this will always happen

Bert
              It's better to be thought stupid than open your mouth and remove all doubt

Pure speed in sixth gear on a 5,000 foot straightaway is one thing, but pure speed in third gear on a gravel-strewn, downhill, ess turn is quite another.
              Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

i have 76000 on my 2 valver, never done valves.

changed in regular maintainance are belts shims oil brake pads.

had one fork seal replaced.

replaced the clutch at 30k with an aluminium one, still going.

changed a regulator,starter solenoid and a starter motor.

and one battery.

thats it.

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

It all depends on the usage. Clutches last longer if you are actually riding the bike and not just commuting (have seen clutches replaced as early as 4,000 klms due to drag starts and commuting in heavy traffic constantly). If the valves were done correctly at the factory and you don't flog the living piss out of it all the time, then yeah they may not need to be adjusted (still need to check them though). The two valvers basically haven't changed over the years except for the advancement in technology and metallurgy, hence service interval extending. The larger two valvers are definitely the better option for everyday use and smaller tracks as what we have in W.A. IMO.
                  DUCATI 999S R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by Satan1 View Post
                    You would probably know (i think I read you where at a ducati dealership) is there any inherent problems with the ss1000 Dual spark?

Thanks, have googled but it's hard to find real info not from either a die hard fan or anti-rhetoric.

Cheers Shane.
                    The 1000ss motor is based on the other 900ss motor which first appeared in the late 80's. ie its not a new design buy any stretch they have ironed out pretty much any bugs that might still exist and about 8/9 years ago Ducati got thier crap in a pile with electrical connectors and got some that actaully keep water out and this killed off most of the problems. With regular maintenace there is no reason the motor won't see well past 100 000kms. The biggest thing is to make sure you do the service/get the services done on time and don't leave it then things can get messy.
                    Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Or get an Aprilia, you get 4 valves, extreamly reliable, vacume operated slipper clutch, v twin sound, great handling etxc etc.

58,000 klms, one valve needed shiming, one battery, set of brake pads, many tyres!, oil/filters.

Easy to work on too.

Oh sorry, Duc 1000 DS, they are a good pic to. But will cost more $/time to keep on the road. They wouldnt have the grunt of the sport/tour aprilia either. Search Falco, AF1 Racing.

Comment

Yeah, but it's not a Ducati, and sorry, but the Apes have nothing on the Ducs in terms of styling.

Comment

Oh, what some people will put up with, just for looks !

I love most bikes. I just try not to be too one eyed about Italian stuff. I would not have added the aprilia angle but the Satin1 seems to be a little cautious of the cost factor. What pisses me is someone that buys a Duke, dosnt spend the money to keep it properly, it bites them, then they bag the shite out of them.

If you dont have belts to change, shims that hardly budge, but still a nice V twin, it could be a bike for some.....no?

Styling, yeh, the RSV4 is but ugly.....yeh your right Desmo.
                          Last edited by rossguzzi; 08-01-2009, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rossguzzi View Post
                            Oh, what some people will put up with, just for looks !

I love most bikes. I just try not to be too one eyed about Italian stuff. I would not have added the aprilia angle but the Satin1 seems to be a little cautious of the cost factor. What pisses me is someone that buys a Duke, dosnt spend the money to keep it properly, it bites them, then they bag the shite out of them.

If you dont have belts to change, shims that hardly budge, but still a nice V twin, it could be a bike for some.....no?

Styling, yeh, the RSV4 is but ugly.....yeh your right Desmo.

No worries on my part mate, I had looked at the falco specs look great but I'm not sold on the looks.

I haven't made up my mind which way I want to go I just want to know I can afford to keep whichever I choose.

Comment

Just a passing glance in this thread and I have to wonder

"Why is clutch longevity such an issue in these 2 valve/dry clutch setups?"

Given I rode my GSXR hard for 43,000 odd kms on the same clutch with plenty of meat to spare this seems odd!

Comment

Working...
                              X