No announcement yet.

Open Clutch Conversion -What do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Clutch Conversion -What do I need?

I know I've seen something on this, but numerous searches haven't turned it up for me...

Thinking about putting a slotted clutch cover on the 998. What I can remember from the previous post I saw was:

1. Stock internals aren't that exciting to look at (confirmed this myself yesterday).

2. Need to get stainless springs if they're going to exposed to atmpsphere -Californian Cycleworks, about $50 US?

3. Polish said springs before installing for extra bling.

Things I'm curious to know/confirm are:

1. I assume it's the clutch basket that people replace with an anodised one to make it look a bit more interesting?

2. Are there "options" I should be considering for internals (besides slipper)?

3. Is this a job I could do myself, or is it quite involved (haven't played with a clutch before: most complex job I've done is a timing belt in a toyota v8)?

4. Any tips/traps I should know?

If anyone knows the link where this is covered already, thanks in advance. If not I'm hoping the thread title will make it easier for the next person to find.

Bowie

Just be careful the springs dont blow out the side of your open clutch cover.

Dubs

Comment

You can have your Right side clutch housing slotted locally.
      Or buy a Magnesium item from Ebay or Motowheels (not cheap).
      Justin at Pro twin can help out with the removal and machining of your
      standard it cover.

I tried the Stainless Springs and went back to standard, they were HEavy Duty Springs, ended up popping the seals in my MPL Slave Cylinder!!
      Darn it, Evoluzione Slave now in place with dual seals on the piston.

Clutch Basket I went with Alloy MPL with Titanium Inserts, inserts prevents premature wear of the finger guides in the basket. Use only Aluminum Friction plates and the basket will last a lot longer. Lighter rotating mass of the basket, helps out in spinning up.

After all that I ended up running a Corsa Slipper clutch.

Might still have the MPL basket somewhere at home.....
      And a Carbon slotted clutch cover, hmmm, and springs....
      Hmmm, and clutch pack......

Comment

Jules,

Thanks for the advice. PM sent.

Bowie

Comment

You might investigate the NCR slipper clutch and NCR titanium clutch cover. With installation by someone it should be around the three grand mark

Or get a cheap carbon fibre slotted cover from ebay for fifty bucks and be done with it
          Click here to see my Ducati 999R in the PSB garage... You'll love it!

Don't click here to see my ZX9R aka The Ginger Ninja... there's no link!

Comment

I know a guy that had a nice looking slotted cover on his duke. A very slow off in freo one night on the right hand side bent the clutch cover in a little to much so that one of the springs got caught in the slot of the cover. Net result? Bent clutch spring bolt, could not use the clutch to ride home.

Give me a closed/wet quiet aprilia clutch anyday!

Bowie, good luck. I can appreciate the whole dry clutch rattle exposed workings thing...........as long as its not mine

Comment

He couldn't have whipped out the tools and removed the offending bolt?

You can get some pressure plates which have raised surfaces around the spring bolts to prevent that sort of thing happening.

Comment

Bolt was bent too far to undo OTSOTR (on the side of the road)

There was more than one bent too. Think it mangled his basket too. Big $$ for a small off.

If I had an open thingy, I would have crash knobs etc to prevent this. It was a very slow off. 10kph?

Comment

As Jules said, you can have you clutch housing machined locally. the one in my avatar was machined to my own design, rather than the slotted ones that Ducati Performance do. I did the same to the staock cover.
                  It has an MPL basket with the Ti inserts, MPL pressure plate, stainless springs and VeeTwo ally clutch hub.
                  I've never really had any dramas that wern't caused by me or fair wear and tear.
                  If you tap in 'ducati clutch' into ebay, you'll see swags of stuff.
                  How fat is ya wallet?

Comment

Originally posted by rossguzzi View Post
                    Bolt was bent too far to undo OTSOTR (on the side of the road)

There was more than one bent too. Think it mangled his basket too. Big $$ for a small off.

If I had an open thingy, I would have crash knobs etc to prevent this. It was a very slow off. 10kph?
                    Fair enough. You can get pressure plates like this Oberon one from Motowheels. Bolt heads remain recessed and out of harms way in case of a stack. A strong clutch cover would be something like this. If the Ducati that went over went in such a way to bend the bolts to such an extent and mangle the basket it sounds like it would have cracked a wet clutch cover!

Comment

Originally posted by bowie View Post
                      I know I've seen something on this, but numerous searches haven't turned it up for me...

Thinking about putting a slotted clutch cover on the 998. What I can remember from the previous post I saw was:

2. Need to get stainless springs if they're going to exposed to atmpsphere -Californian Cycleworks, about $50 US?

3. Polish said springs before installing for extra bling.
                      Bowie
                      When it comes to being a high quality steel that clutch springs need to be, stainless is shit. Stainless is not designed to perform as a spring steel. Leads to fixing bike on side of road for the sake of bling

Comment

Springs on special locally for $40 Bowie........ Found a slightly lighter pull on the lever with stainless...still workin well on the ole' girl....
                        ''It's not how many times we go down,but the amount of times we get back up''

Comment

Have stuff I will sell on.

I recently bought a SportClassic 1000S (wet clutch) to replace a SportClassic 1000 monoposto (dry clutch).

I have in stock, and am selling, the Rizoma 3/4 billet cover (has carbon insert) along with Rizoma 5 finger billet pressure plate and billet spring collets and S/S springs.

Replacement is over $450 landed.

Sell $300

P.M me if you are interested.

Greg.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Off subject....Bowie, I have your charger if you still want it
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X