motoguzzi wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motoguzzi wont start

Hey all, im having a bit of trouble starting my motoguzzi california 3 1993 model efi... The bike was given to me and after sitting for a period of years without being started, I got it back to my house and started work on it... I have changed the efi filter, oil and filter cleaned out sump, new battery, new plugs, and drained old fuel and put some new stuff in, I have also replaced some hoses that have perished over time.... Tried to start the big girl looks like she has spark but she wont run!!!!! I need help, what do you reckon I should check or try next... Is possible that injectors could be clogged from bad fuel that was in it before???????????????????? Any help greatly appreciated.....

When you first turn the key on do you hear anything ?

Comment

Not really what should i be listening for fuel pump????????

Comment

Yes, I would expect to hear the fuel pump.

I have a Breva, which is a later model EFI system, and on mine you can also hear the Throttle Position Sensor cycling on power up.

I would start by checking your fuses, if you have spark it can only really be the fuel system that is stopping it from running.

If you have a way of moving the bike, either trailer or ute, get it to Thunderbikes in Bassendean-Mario is THE man for Guzzi's

Comment

Yeah I have been told that mario is the man for guzzis, but I wanted to see if I could nut it out on my own, if I get stuck I will have to take it to him but dont want to end up with a huge repair bill, might have another crack at it tomorrow, I am hanging to get it going havent heard a guzzi going before

Comment

see mario,you will not get better..

Comment

I'd be checking for an EFI pump too, if they've been left to sit too long they gum up then they are dead. Might also be worth getting hold of the relays and pulling them out and giving the contacts a bit of a clean same with the fuses also check where the earth lead bolts onto the frame has a good metal to metal contact.
              Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Thanks for all your help fellas, I had a crack at it this morning and the efi pump is dead, I remember mario telling me that this could happen and it did, pulled it out this morning and it wasnt easy, bit of a bastard actually, now all there is left to do is get a new one and plonk her in.... Im hanging to hear the big girl run

Comment

Well I got the big girl going today whacked a new efi fuel pump in this morning and what a bastard it was, hooked up all the hoses etc, and away she went a bit rough at first but cleared up, after it blew the wasp nest out the exhaust, now all I need to do is adjust valves and a bit of cleanup and hit the roads!!!!!!!!! The vtwin sounds sweet as well I might add cant wait to ride.. Thanks to all that helped

Comment

Excellent (why doesn't anyone give me free Moto Guzzi's) I'll assume Mario worded you up on what valve clearances to use no to be confused with what the factory recommends. Shouldn't be real fast but the 1000's big and very smooth especailly with the old P8 fuel injection once you've got them off the bottom end, dunno what you've ridden before but they are not a HD do not ride it like one ie between 2500 and 7000rpm is a good working range.
                    Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Originally posted by danny View Post
                      Yeah I have been told that mario is the man for guzzis, but I wanted to see if I could nut it out on my own, if I get stuck I will have to take it to him but dont want to end up with a huge repair bill, might have another crack at it tomorrow, I am hanging to get it going havent heard a guzzi going before
                      If its a major Mario is def recommended. Cheaper to have TB's sort it. I know their labour/materials cost pisses all over me trying to do anything myself viz time, materials and most importantly, skill.
                      The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

Havent asked about the valve clearances yet bet i noticed that they were a little noisy.. Still trying to sort some parts out for the big girl like new indicators and tyres and a few other bits and pieces... Yeah im expected the old girl to be a good cruiser compared to the last bike I had zx10r ninja..... What should the valve clearances be on this model....... Will be stoked when I hit the streets again its been a while......

Comment

The valves/tappets should be a bit noisy if they stop making noise then you have an issue, Thunderbikes has indicators on the shelf for most models. 0.22mm all round this is probally not the clearance recommended for you model but Guzzi over the years have recommended tighter and tighter clearances to reduce noise for emissions pourposes to the detriment of how the motor runs and idles. 0.22 is the clearance recommend to for the 850 lemans and works on everthing else fine. If you are used to riding other bikes just check you if your bike still has linked brakes (lot of owners disconnected them) and keep it in mind. Withthe setup the rear brake operates the rear and one of the front disks where the front brake lever operates the other front disk. So there the majority of stopping power comes from the pedal rather than the lever.

This site is fairly helpful for all things Guzzi http://www.guzzitech.com has downloadable manuals and the like too.

Comment

Thanks for the advice nero, yeah the linked brakes the bike has me and my mate were bleeding them and noticed the front left disc and the back brakes come on when the pedal is applied... Think I might ride the big girl for a while when I eventually get it on the road and then check the clearances, I have a set of valve cover gaskets for it at home anyway so it wouldnt hurt to check hey.. When I get it all together ill take some photos and post them.. I must say the cali is growing on me each day

Comment

awseome stuff - look forward to seeing piccies of it - one of the few cruisers i like

Comment

Working...
                              X