749 rear sprocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 749 rear sprocket

I've got an 05 749s bip and was thinking of going up a few teeth on the rear sprocket. I've done a little research and from what I gathered, OEM is 14t front and 38t rear with a 525 pitch.

I was contemplating a 520 conversion with 14t front and 43t rear. I could be wrong but it look like the 520 setup is lighter but less durable.... so is it a waste of money? Am I just better off getting a new rear sprocket and new chain and just leaving the front sprocket as is?

I know i'll be sacrificing some top end but I'm not bothered with not being able to do ridiculous speeds; just want a little more boogie from get go

Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

And one more question, where can I get this gear? Not impartial to ordering online so any suggestions would be great.

gearing

mr pez,your going to have to do more than gearing to keep up with my 999s haha.

Comment

Up 5 on the rear isn't as big as everyone thinks it is...most people haven't even done it they just think it sounds too big...i've got that on my 02 R1...can still go 130/140 in first and get up past 280 on the clock allegedly..

Very front wheel happy too..go for it.
      Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
      1985 - 2009

Comment

Yeah but you don't have any torque down that low either.

Most people haven't even owned a Ducati, they just...

Comment

Originally posted by Rhino View Post
          Yeah but you don't have any torque down that low either.

Most people haven't even owned a Ducati, they just...
          What

My bike had plenty of torque and acceleration before hand i just wanted more...no one needs to go 170 in first or sit on 300. Might as well make the bike for fun on the street.

EDIT: Anyway back on topic, i'd get the new chain/sprockets from the US, places like superbike toy store are great to deal with, good prices and quick delivery.
          1985 - 2009

Comment

I talked to Justin at Pro twin about the exact same thing and he recommended a 41 rear sprocket and add some length to the chain (with the 14T up front), I agree that the 520 conversion isn't needed unless you are really worried about the rotating mass.

DJ
            There are two questions in life.
            1:Which way do I go
            2:Whats the lap record.

Comment

Originally posted by Yagadan View Post
              Up 5 on the rear isn't as big as everyone thinks it is...most people haven't even done it they just think it sounds too big...i've got that on my 02 R1...can still go 130/140 in first and get up past 280 on the clock allegedly..
              You obviously don't have a speedo healer installed? Otherwise you would find your bike actually only does 227km/h @ maximum rpm with a +5 rear sprocket.....

How big was the fish again?
              Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

Originally posted by BlackFZR View Post
                You obviously don't have a speedo healer installed? Otherwise you would find your bike actually only does 227km/h @ maximum rpm with a +5 rear sprocket.....

How big was the fish again?
                What program did you use to find that out?

I've been right behind guys doing 250+ with speedo healers, so i VERY much doubt mine tops out at 227.
                1985 - 2009

Comment

Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Gearing Ratio Sprocket RPM Speed Chain Calculator

work it out for yourself......
                  Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

Originally posted by Red Rider View Post
                    I talked to Justin at Pro twin about the exact same thing and he recommended a 41 rear sprocket and add some length to the chain (with the 14T up front), I agree that the 520 conversion isn't needed unless you are really worried about the rotating mass.

DJ
                    There usually is a lot more choice in colours/styles in 520 compared to 525 and 530. It's not all about rotating mass.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackFZR View Post
                      I agree it is right on that page...

But obviously it isn't very accurate...unless speedo healers don't do their job and the people i ride doing indicated speeds actually arn't.

Anyway i'll stop hogging this guys thread
                      1985 - 2009

Comment

Originally posted by rgvlee View Post
                        There usually is a lot more choice in colours/styles in 520 compared to 525 and 530. It's not all about rotating mass.
                        True Lee, there is that bling factor to it.
                        There are two questions in life.
                        1:Which way do I go
                        2:Whats the lap record.

Comment

I've still got the moonshot 999 standard gearing (15/38?) as I still love that mental first gear. Standard front sprocket on the 749 is 14t and standard is 38 I think. You could go up to 41 on the back no worries but whether you'd change over to 520 is another thing. If the chain is fairly new then I'd stay with 525 until you're replacing chain and sprockets.

If you want more stick, get a half-system for it and some second hand forged alu wheels. Certainly not as cheap as a bigger rear sprocket and lighter chain but will make a much more huge difference.

If you want to get these things for a reasonable amount of money, jump onto Ebay and keep an eye on the inline shops selling ducati stuff. Vee-Two have a racing front pipe on Ebay which is sitting at $40.00!
                          Click here to see my Ducati 999R in the PSB garage... You'll love it!

Don't click here to see my ZX9R aka The Ginger Ninja... there's no link!

Comment

if your running a rear wheel speed senor the speedo's fine, going to change from 16/41 to 15 / 44, apparently works a treat, once i eventually fit them :-)

Comment

Yeah, 749/999 have sensor on the rear wheel, tracking bolts on the rear disc.
                              Click here to see my Ducati 999R in the PSB garage... You'll love it!

Don't click here to see my ZX9R aka The Ginger Ninja... there's no link!

Comment

Working...
                              X