Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspect rear brake master cylinder?

Hi duke owners,
    I have a issue with my rear brake on a monster 900, 2000 model. A couple of days ago i used my rear brakes going thru a corner, when i came out of corner i found the rear brake was still holding on even though the brake lever had return to its resting place. When i finally stopped brake was smokin, and the only way i could get it to release was to crack the bleed nipple on calipers.So i took master cylinder apart carefully,found abit of sludge and a small sliver of metal on outlet side of master cylinder.The plunger end had a fair bit of rust on outer surface near piston.After i cleaned this up and being careful not to score or damage anythin i put it back together the way i found it. I have bled the system for nearly 3 hrs in total but the master cylinder will not build up pressure,i'm positive there would be no air in line. Do you think my master cylinder is cactus???

have only rebuilt the mc and calipers front and rear on my old vtr, but the principles should be the same...

did you change the seals or re-use the old ones? always recommended to change them out.

is fluid leaking from the seals? if yes, bung seals, put new ones in.

leaking fluid from banjo bolts? reassemble and use new squish washers.

no leaks? you still have air in there.

Comment

have a look at this link..Ducati Suite- Brake Bleeding

Comment

Get a large syringe , fill it full of fluid , and a piece of hose that fits snugly to the syringe and put it on the caliper bleed nipple. Crack both the caliper nipple and the master cylinder nipple and then pump the fluid up through the line until it half fills the resevoir then tighten the caliper nipple . Then go back to the standard bleading system and get it perfect. If this doesn't work you probably have a seal issue. Hope it works for you !

Comment

The ducati rear brakes are a bit notorious as been a bit of a dog to bleed. Syringe good idea the other thing to do is remove the caliper (don't disconnect the line) and put it in a lower position to the master cylinder zip tie the lever in the on postion and leave overnight.
          Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Originally posted by panic View Post
            have only rebuilt the mc and calipers front and rear on my old vtr, but the principles should be the same...

did you change the seals or re-use the old ones? always recommended to change them out.

is fluid leaking from the seals? if yes, bung seals, put new ones in.

leaking fluid from banjo bolts? reassemble and use new squish washers.

no leaks? you still have air in there.
            with brakes ALWAYS put new seals and washers. there's bugger all inside a master cylinder, so providing you changed your seals etc and haven't damaged the bore, it must be air......... If not, grab some new seals and see how you go..

With rust inside it may not seal too well. You need to change your brake fluid more often to prevent it

Comment

Unless there is fluid on the outside of the master cylinder its not leaking. The syringe is used to force fluid in reverse bleeding its called.
              Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Brembo will no longer sell seal kits as they are worried that they will not be installed correctly and end up with a lawsuit on their hands.
                DUCATI 999S R.I.P.

Comment

What sort of retarded Italian logic is that?
                  Being forced to buy a complete new master cylinder because a seal inside has failed is fucked.
                  What about seals in calipers? I'd be pissed if I dropped a stupid amount of coin on some nice Brembo monoblocks and then found out I couldn't rebuild them when the seals got tired.
                  FTP

Comment

It's not just Itai logic mate, when we had the integra, it needed a new brake M/C.
                    I couldn't buy a kit for love nor money, had to buy an entire M/C........ and install it myself.

EDIT: I had better be able to get kits to redo my calipers!

Comment

Originally posted by Sully Monster View Post
                      So i took master cylinder apart carefully,found abit of sludge and a small sliver of metal on outlet side of master cylinder.

Did you find out where the sliver of metal may have come from??
                      There is few Brake Repair shops in Perth of which can get seals from.

Hmmm, why u using rear brake go thru a corner???
                      :o

Comment

I always use the rear brake in corners, I feel it settles the bike.
                        Jules, where can I get seals from? I might buy up 2 or 3 kits.

Comment

what happens when someone buys a new mc but doesn't bolt it up properly, do they stop selling mc's direct to the public? Surely there must be somewhere on the net that sells seals (or what jules said ^^^).
                          Last edited by panic; 05-09-2009, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
                            Jules, where can I get seals from? I might buy up 2 or 3 kits.

OK, Paul used these guys for brake repairs on his old Ducati Green Frame.

Perth Brake Parts

Give them a shout to see if they can get repair kits or at least point you in the right direction....

Comment

Cheers Jules, will check them out.

EDIT: No email address = fail.
                              Last edited by Desmo; 05-09-2009, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X