Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Delivery!!

Good morning all,

I am recently back into the Ducati fold after a few years on a ZX10R.

Anyway, I had forgotten how great and smile inducing it is to ride a Ducati.

Something I had never experienced on all of my previous models (eprom controlled) was the absolutly crap power delivery up to 5K (untill the O2 sensor is not required). My current 1198 has no linear power delivery below 5K it is more like an on/ off switch which is not fun when cornering in 1st gear in the wet. Plenty of revs and slipping of the clutch for any amount of power control.

I have now replaced the standard slipons for a pair of carbon Akras which has improved the midrange but has done nothing to the idle to 5K band. It looks like a programmable ECU replacement is on the cards (Nemesis or Microtec) both of which will let me store two power map setups that can be changed on the fly.

Has anyone else had this fuelling / power delivery problem on their 1198?

Many thanks,

The O2 sensor is used all through the rev range as it's what makes the FI system "closed loop".
    Click here to see my Ducati 999R in the PSB garage... You'll love it!

Don't click here to see my ZX9R aka The Ginger Ninja... there's no link!

Comment

Go see Justin at Pro Twin.

Ha HA!!

My 998 does cough and fart until 5000rpm then Fun!!!!!

1198 could be more related to an RS from the past.........

Comment

Yeah, mine carries on a bit at around 5k. Anything below that is okay and anything over that is pretty okay too.

Comment

Funny you should say that Rod.

Using the Auto tune on NEMESIS during the dyno run, around
          5000rpm gave some real whacky readings from LAMBDA!!!

Up down, not consistent, very strange.....

Picked cells on either side averaged them, used manual input
          and cleaned it up....

Bizarre

Comment

Did it clean up with the manual input? Did you do anything with the ignition map? I can't imagine that it would be anything do do with exhaust and resonance. Wierd.

Comment

Yep, manual input smoothed the power/af curve out..

No the ignition map wasnt altered, yet......

Comment

On of the Guzzi's guys with a 8V griso was trialling a device that allows you to make manual offset adjustments to the oxygen sensor. Although its most likely just a pot with a few bits the item was very cheap under $20 he said while its wasn't a total solution it made a significant enough impact/improvment to the stock fuelling to be worth while in his opinon. Trying to find the link to the thread.
                Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Ok they he got back to me its actually a Fatduc prouct

Link PERFORMANCE BOULEVARD - O2 Manipulator

This the guys comments on his experinces with it, he is a very experinced motorcycle mechanic (mainly Guzzi's) and the bike is his own 8V Griso.

"These are a veery crude device. They are NOT really a tuning or performance option but they do allow a bit more fuel to be added in the closed loop portion of the map which, on the Guzzis, makes for smoother low speed operation.

I've found with mine though that the W5AM 'pooter doesn't seem to be able to compensate properly for different ambient temps and I find myself *Tweaking* the Fat Duc on an almost daily basis.

the good news is that they are cheap!

Pete"
                  Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

these do a good one for the 1098

Bazzaz Performance - Motorcycle ECU mapping and ignition components. - Home

more of a piggy back but data logging of O2 etc
                    Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

Mine coughs and farts until it hits 7K then it's all fun and games.
                      I don't think it's a fuelling issue on yours per se, I just think that 1198 is pushing the boundaries of size limits for a performance V-twin, and one of the tradeoffs is going to be lumpyness bellow 5K.
                      Just go -1 +2 on your sprockets

Comment

Watching the AF on a dyno run, the Large Throttle bodies
                        cause alot of air flow change rather quickly on my 998.

My guess with 1198 (60mm bodies??) tune to suit ADR BS, the stock
                        ECU will be just that, crap below 5K...

Go aftermartket or DP ECU.....

Comment

Personally I wouldn't get a DP ECU if I had to pay for it as they're not too crash hot to start with. By the time you get one, add a power commander or whatever, you could have just gotten a Nemesis or Microtec (as you've done, Jules!). A 1198 with just slip-ons and a Nemesis tuned properly would fly. What size headers does the 1198 have - 57mm?

Comment

Working...
                          X