X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ducati Hypermotard 796

err... with the 696 engine

Ducati Hypermotard 796: smaller and cheaper for 2010 - Hell For Leather

French magazine Moto-Station is reporting and we've confirmed with a company source that the Ducati Hypermotard 796 will offer a cheaper, less-intimidating alternative to the Hypermotard 1100. The press launch for the 796 is occurring on October 12. Our official information stops there, but both Moto-Station and our source go on to suggest that, despite the name, the air-cooled motor will actually be the same 696cc v-twin used in the Ducati Monster 696.

Other logical changes would be a switch to non-adjustable forks and other running gear on par with the Monster 696, all designed to keep costs low in relation to the more expensive 1100 version. But, unlike the name and the launch date, that information is only informed speculation.

The Hypermotard 1100 makes 90bhp at 7,750rpm and 76lb/ft of torque at 4,750rpm. The Monster 696 makes 80bhp at 9,000rpm and 50.6lb/ft at 7,750rpm. If there are changes made to the smaller motor in order to justify the "796" designation, it's likely that they'll result in a fatter torque cover rather than more outright power.

In addition to the Hypermotard 796, the water-cooled Ducati Strada Aperta, a "practical superbike" in the mold of the KTM 990 SMT, is also planned for 2010 and ABS could also be coming to the Monster 696, making it more new rider-friendly.
    I wonder how the power/weight will compare to the 1100, since that seemed to be the big whinge about the Hypermotard...

I like the idea, hopefully they manage to save a fair bit of weight out of it... although I doubt it.

Comment

Same weight, less power.

Comment

less torque, more revs. Might feel like it's almost going quicker
        For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
        For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

interesting machine......I won't be buying one though.
          "I don't care if you wear a plastic bag, filled with bubble wrap then zip tied at the neck for crash protection"

Comment

Ducati.com

link to 796.
            DUCATI 999S R.I.P.

Comment

Well 12 kilos lighter... it is something...

Comment

Originally posted by Xuaxace View Post
                Well 12 kilos lighter... it is something...
                There's more than 12kg between you and me. If they took it off the wheels, it might work.
                Please, call me Flash...

Comment

Hey Ducati, here's an idea.
                  Instead of going to the parts bin, getting old frames and bolting suspension to it and calling it a 'tard, Why don't you build something small, light and nimble and put a thumping 500cc single in it?

Comment

it's a bit to soy decaf latte for me.
                    "Starin' at the world through my rearview"

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
                      Hey Ducati, here's an idea.
                      Instead of going to the parts bin, getting old frames and bolting suspension to it and calling it a 'tard, Why don't you build something small, light and nimble and put a thumping 500cc single in it?
                      Because it's easier to just cash in by naming a bike after a current trend ("Streetfighter" anyone? ).
                      FTP

Comment

If they price it right, I bet it sells! Not huge amounts but enough to keep it in the line-up. The 696 is not a bad motor in a light bike.

$13,000 - 14,000 should do it. (Plus Coiln's slice, of course)
                        Last edited by elliott5; 01-10-2009, 10:38 AM. Reason: Add Zeros
                        Two's company, three's a race!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X