Help wanted to getting the 916 back on the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help wanted to getting the 916 back on the road

So, after not being ridden for a goodly while I decided to finally get the 916 back up & going (so I can teach a mate on his learners).

So after a good wash & clean, new battery, new airbox & seal, flushing the fuel tank, fixing a leak with the fuel pump seal, & putting it all back together I fired it up ... no oil pressure. So I figure an oil change & filter is the go but I seem to have run out of filters.

So anyone got a spare I can beg, borrow or steal???

Any idea on the best way to prime the Duc oil system?

To date I have only run it for 15 sec or so ... maybe not long enough but wasn't willing to risk it any longer without pressure.

The filter I need is a K&N153, the same as about half of all Ducs, compatability list is here: ALL DUCATI 350 PANTAH 350 - All, Oil Filter

So wotcha got, eh, eh, eh ...
    .. and thats Racer # 193 to y'all; my fabulous sponsors (who all do good shit) are: Graeme Fleming IT Consultants, Vision Image, Pacific Safety Wear, Excess Power Equipment, Pro Photo Booth

.. and according to Sean'o: 'get the Kwaka (never thought i would say that!)'

No oil preasure or a shagged oil preasure switch?
    Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Well it was fine 4 odd months ago when I last rode it ... just went through most of the connectors to make sure it wasn't summat simple.

When I run it the oil level in the glass drops from around 50-60% above 'low' to just above low, but the oil light stays lit.
      .. and thats Racer # 193 to y'all; my fabulous sponsors (who all do good shit) are: Graeme Fleming IT Consultants, Vision Image, Pacific Safety Wear, Excess Power Equipment, Pro Photo Booth

Comment

If she's been sitting a while , the terminals on the oil pressure sender/switch may be corroded - not contacting properly. Oil and filter is a good thing but not the root of your prob Im thinking . Sometimes a bit of WD 40 and a wiggle is enough re terminals.
        When life throws you a few curves
        GET YOUR KNEE DOWN!!

Comment

.. yep, see my previous post, just removed, cleaned, lubed with Silicon spray & tightened all the connectors for completeness, thanks for the suggestion tho

Comment

oops -- yeah yours musta came through when I was typing mine

Not too familiar with the 916 -- 1 or 2 wires off the sender?
            GET YOUR KNEE DOWN!!

Comment

1 wire, just reading throught the manual at the mo & after a bit of digging arounf they have a test procedure to determine if the pressure switch is dodgy; the engine was rebuilt by Pro Twin & given a clean bill of health (prob no more than 8k kms ago) so my guess is it's either a gummed up filter screen, bypass switch, or the presuure switch is cactus.

Comment

Hey dude...
                Did you pull the oil screen out to check for any lumps of anything??

Comment

try this mate.

>disconnect wire from sender.
                  >turn ign ON (don't start)
                  >is oil light on or off? ---- should be off
                  >touch wire to engine / frame etc (may need temp jump wire) If light comes on circuit is fine but sender is prob U/S
                  > Sender should be a common NPT thread - take it out and do a run to SuperCheap tomorrow - as long as the thread is the same they all work pretty much the same way at the same operating pressure.

Hope it helps
                  GET YOUR KNEE DOWN!!

Comment

.. ran outta daylight, this not having a garage/shed sucks

It will be the first thing I do in the morrow but if I'm going over the oil system I wanna put a new filter in, hence the first post.

BTW Jules, I got the CF airbox fitted, its a piece of crap but we made it work.

Oh, and I suppose if I head over to your place to raid ya garage for a few odds & ends the automatic machine guns nest will get me .

Originally posted by jules_1972 View Post
                    Hey dude...
                    Did you pull the oil screen out to check for any lumps of anything??

Comment

.. yeah thats the run down as per the manual, will be doing it in the morning; nice work on the research .

Originally posted by MattstaZX10r View Post
                      try this mate.

>disconnect wire from sender.
                      >turn ign ON (don't start)
                      >is oil light on or off? ---- should be off
                      >touch wire to engine / frame etc (may need temp jump wire) If light comes on circuit is fine but sender is prob U/S
                      > Sender should be a common NPT thread - take it out and do a run to SuperCheap tomorrow - as long as the thread is the same they all work pretty much the same way at the same operating pressure.

Hope it helps

Comment

Umm that was outa my head dude --- mechanic by trade

See you're in F'field mate - maybe we can hook for a ride when I'm in town next ?? - normally in the Kalumunda / High Wycombe area...

All good - cheers
                        GET YOUR KNEE DOWN!!

Comment

.. well I'd be sending Ducati or Haynes a bill for infringing your copyright .

Just found a parts interchangeability list for lots of Ducati models, Ducati Parts Interchangeability List; looks like I should be able to get summat at Repco in Kewdale for the filter & poss the switch

Once the Duc is back up & running a ride sounds good, when Jules is in town he'll prob join in too as he's just up the road.

Do ya get to the track much, cos if ya do I might have coached one of ya sessions?

Originally posted by MattstaZX10r View Post
                          Umm that was outa my head dude --- mechanic by trade

See you're in F'field mate - maybe we can hook for a ride when I'm in town next ?? - normally in the Kalumunda / High Wycombe area...

All good - cheers

Comment

I have the same issue with mine at the moment mate, the oil system has no check valve and it drains back into the sump, if the clearances are out, it won't self prime.
                            Short of ripping the clutch and side cover off and stuffing the pump with vaseline, I'm stuck.
                            Let me know how you go.

Comment

A track day or 3 is on my 'to do' list s.h. Feel the need for some 'fine tuning':mellow:

You might be able to point me in the right direction?

will be in town W/E after next for a week or so before I have to go back to work.

If you need a hand while I'm in town let me know .. happy to help out if I can.
                              (mate also has machine shop re alloy / stainless bits .... good one to know)

Cheers
                              GET YOUR KNEE DOWN!!

Comment

Working...
                              X