Arm Pump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arm Pump

I went for a ride at the pines yesterday with a significantly faster friend then me, and those b*stard whoops were killing me.

I was getting bad arm pump early in and it wouldn't go away, putting a bit of a damper on the ride.

Is it just saddle time and technique that are going to have the biggest impact on reducing arm pump, or are there excercises you can do to build some stamina?

Hey man, lots of tips and excerises around, try youtube. But in my experience a few small things: Grip more with ya legs to the seat and heels into the frame/near pegs instead of hanging on all with the arms. Try and relax ya grip - easier said than done sometimes but just time/practice. I find in warm up laps in the morning i can loosen the grip but as soon as the gate drops i tense up the grip again until 2-3rd lap when i realise. Also try a 2 finger hold instead of all fingers (ie riding along with 2 fingers out covering break/clutch) instead of 4 white knuckles wrapped around the grips - also need this for 2 strokes when feathering the clutch all the time.
    And fitness, do some forearm excercises with dumbells etc. HTH?

Comment

Nice mate, thanks for all that!

I ride with 2 fingers on the levers as it is at the moment and am concentrating on using my knees to hang on. Like i said it's mainly the whoops where i tense up.

I may be doing it wrong but i squat down further back on the bike and try to keep the front light. Bit harder hanging on with your knees in this position and my arms are almost stretched right out.

I'll get there with practice, but i'll check youtube later on for some tips as you mentioned. Cheers, big help.

Comment

At the T&E I did, they taught me to literally stand. No squatting back at all. So you could draw a line from the middle of your foot- to your knee - to the very front of your seat where it joins the plastic - to your hips - to your head.

Your arms then can come out with elbows up (you may need to make a small adjustment to your handle bar angle - they did to mine).

The standing and arms makes all the difference. No sore legs and no sore arms. It made my off road riding physically effortless compared to the grief I was feeling before then. I would finish the day completely shattered - now I finish refreshed! Now I just have to work on the fear factor!!

Comment

Arm Pump

Is in your mind.

Breathe deeply and relax and it will just go away.

Also go faster, when you're bogging down in the whoops getting beaten up it tightens everything and you get tired/sore. Skipping over them at speed with a refreshing breeze over your arms and chest is a rejuvenating force.

Edit: Dunno how the T&E advise negotiating whoops but kale is right here- weight back is necessary- hang arse over the rear guard and grip with knees.

Comment

Relax and enjoy the whoops - don't fear them. When you get them right you can make it all the way through without fatigue. Also the faster you go the better - I used to them on the pipein 5th on my rmx - well over 100km/hr. Go slow get fatigued and hurt. Of course that takes practice so do exactly that- and lotsmof it. Ps I have video of me coming off through them at speed ... The consequences can be severe if you get it wrong... I was Lucky enough to roll out of it though

Comment

Yeah, Lolly i think you're talking about riding in general for standing up, which i do anyway.

My general riding is fine, it's just the whoops where my ring puckers up, and dirt_infected made the point of everything tightening up which hit the nail on the head.

100km/hr seems like a recipe for disaster with me at the moment. Was getting a little crossed up yesterday and would not wanna get kicked off at 100. Keen to see that video though out_in_front...

Comment

Have you had you suspension set up properly for your weight etc? From memory sand riding means you can soften it off a bit too, I am sure someone else can elaborate, but get it right and you will probably have less of a problem getting crossed up.

The rest comes with experience, as dirt_infected said, when you start skipping across the top everything gets easier, and that means going at higher speeds. Those whoops can be pretty decently spaced, they are not as tight as say an MX tracks whoops, so the higher speeds are necisary, I would say it would be safer too. There are smaller sets inbetween the trees - from memory just to the left after the first main intersection, they are shorter, shallower and harder than the ones next to the main road, lots of fun and good to learn on as there is more traction and less bogging in.

If it makes you feel any better, the first day I went to gnangara I dropped it 5 times.... but it was also the first time on a dirtbike for me in 5 years. The second ride I did a superman off a ramp...:o

Comment

Originally posted by out_in_front View Post
                  Have you had you suspension set up properly for your weight etc? From memory sand riding means you can soften it off a bit too, I am sure someone else can elaborate, but get it right and you will probably have less of a problem getting crossed up.

Other way to hold it up in the stroke a bit

Comment

Yeah, been meaning to come see you Mr. MOOSE but need to get hold of a standard rear link before i do.

Comment

oh yeah - I didn't read it carefully and notice the reference to the whoops. I can't help you there. I LOVE whoops. I giggle the whole way through!

Comment

Originally posted by dirt_infected View Post
                        Is in your mind.

Breathe deeply and relax and it will just go away.

Also go faster, when you're bogging down in the whoops getting beaten up it tightens everything and you get tired/sore. Skipping over them at speed with a refreshing breeze over your arms and chest is a rejuvenating force.

Edit: Dunno how the T&E advise negotiating whoops but kale is right here- weight back is necessary- hang arse over the rear guard and grip with knees.
                        X 2 relax I suffer well but this helps best,,,, fitness also helps
                        I don’t ride to get to the end, I ride for that moment

Hop scotch, skip rope, tunnel ball & football, all the same to me
                        If you cant ride it or fuck it, then its not sport

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...photos-100704/

Battlefeild 3 name = 5th_Eye

Comment

I'll let ya know when it gets here.

Comment

Originally posted by kale View Post
                            I went for a ride at the pines yesterday with a significantly faster friend then me, and those b*stard whoops were killing me.

I was getting bad arm pump early in and it wouldn't go away, putting a bit of a damper on the ride.

Is it just saddle time and technique that are going to have the biggest impact on reducing arm pump, or are there excercises you can do to build some stamina?
                            The good thing about riding with a mate who's heaps quicker is with practice, you will attain his speed. Might be a few crashes along the way but that's part of the learning process isn't it.

I also suffer arm pump and have found the best way to minimize it is to warm up the arm muscles slowly - don't ride straight out into a 5km whoop section as soon as you get the bike off the trailer. If I get my arms sore in the first 10 minutes, they just get worse as the ride goes on.

As everyone says, ride loose, make sure you breathe properly, relax and move your fingers at every opportunity when riding. Hanging on with the death grip will give even the most fittest MX rider arm pump.

If it mainly happens in the whoops, it is probably a confidence problem which is making you ride really tight or you are concentrating so much on nailing the whoops that you are holding your breath. Have someone watch your suspension as you hammer through the whoops and if it appears to be getting you out of shape, try adjusting the clickers. My guess is maybe a little less high speed compression damping on the shock if possible.

I also drink at least 1 sports drink (must have magnesium in it) before riding and drink like a fish whilst riding. Dehydration = thicker blood = increased arm pump. Don't wait until you're thirsty as this sign is far too late and you have already dehydrated. Buy a hydration pack and drink from it whenever you stop. Also try eating jelly babies or similar while out riding as these can give you a quick source of carbs.

I am also going to try a long sleeve compression shirt as these provide support for your muscles and may help with arm pump.
                            Paul

Stuff the two strokes. Joined the four stroke club.

Comment

Working...
                            X