Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Clearances on a CRF450x

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Valve Clearances on a CRF450x

    Its come time to sort out my Valve clearances so i thought i would do it during the break along with everything else...............................ANY TIPS Would be Appreciated



    Regards Dazza

  • #2
    Yeah let me know as well

    Comment


    • #3
      Its all explained in the manual, and a few vids availabble on youtube which is handy.
      crfsonly.com do a valve shim kit just incase you need them for adjusting. Better than getting 1/2 way thru the job, then going to the dealers etc.
      I have checked 2 450 CRF's. Both didnt need a shim after all that.
      My 250 was eating valves there for a while, and the shim kit came in handy.
      I stuck with the OEM honda valves - didnt bother with the spring upgrades and valve upgrades offered all over the net.
      Increasing my carbon footprint - one 500 @ a time...

      Comment


      • #4
        Increasing my carbon footprint - one 500 @ a time...

        Comment


        • #5
          Heard steel ones are meant to be a good one for reliability .

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Rob View Post
            Its all explained in the manual, and a few vids availabble on youtube which is handy.
            crfsonly.com do a valve shim kit just incase you need them for adjusting. Better than getting 1/2 way thru the job, then going to the dealers etc.
            I have checked 2 450 CRF's. Both didnt need a shim after all that.
            My 250 was eating valves there for a while, and the shim kit came in handy.
            I stuck with the OEM honda valves - didnt bother with the spring upgrades and valve upgrades offered all over the net.
            Thanks rob

            Comment


            • #7
              Just one more thing.
              The new breed of mechanics seem to be battery drill crazy - thats ok I guess.
              What ever you do, use a screwdriver (gently) when undoing the plastic panels that screw into the petrol tank. I have seen a lot of CRF's where those brass inserts in the tank are buggered. They break out and are f*&ked after that. Be careful with them!!!

              Cheers and enjoy!!
              Increasing my carbon footprint - one 500 @ a time...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dazza1968 View Post
                Its come time to sort out my Valve clearances so i thought i would do it during the break along with everything else...............................ANY TIPS Would be Appreciated



                Regards Dazza
                1rive to causeway
                2: Buy a WR450
                3:thank me later
                4: tell karri, paul and matt to do the same

                edit, or swap one thru gumtree.

                i totally understand if you guys dont want to ride with me again, except for karri, he couldnt ride to start with

                at least im laughing
                Lost and on reserve

                Comment


                • #9
                  hey Smitto do i need to order some rear wheel bearings first

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    yeah fair call

                    just add a spark plug to your order while your at it eh
                    Lost and on reserve

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      No fair smitto! Actually come to think of how many injuries do I have whilst riding with you? None I believe. How many injuries do you have while riding with me? At least one. Therefore I'm the better rider!

                      ( were not hijacking the thread daz promise)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Dazza, get Paul to do it - good practice for his bike! Problem sorted.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by smitto81 View Post
                          1rive to causeway
                          2: Buy a WR450
                          3:thank me later
                          4: tell karri, paul and matt to do the same
                          1: find a grey shirt, grey car, paint your house grey and start wearing makeup.
                          2: Buy a WR450
                          3: Ride every other weekend
                          4: Hang yourself from boredom

                          ^WHS

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            haha funny, but point 3, isnt that you?
                            Lost and on reserve

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              most important thing is to use a very acurate tension wrench when doing down the cam cap bolts!!!!!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X