Choosing Dirt Tyres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing Dirt Tyres

What do you look for when choosing tyres for a dirt bike? Our little Rm 125 needs new shoes, the old ones are rock hard, have cracks all over and after last weekends bush bash have lost some of the nobblies.
    I had a look at Tyres for bikes yesterday while getting new rubber for my ZRX, and it seems that for aroun $200+ I should be able to get a set.
    Any advice is appreciated. Keeping in mind that this is just for bashing about.

Cheers
    Love the legend, Kawasaki Z 900/ Z 1000, the Mother of all Big Kawas!
    sigpic
    2007 ZRX 1200R
    1977 Z 1000 A1
    http://www.bikepics.com/members/cruelcheffy/

I have used Kenda brand dirt bike tires. Cheaper than Dunlop/Bridgestone but they are good tires that wear well.

Personally, my favourite ATM is the Bridgestone M203 front with an M204 rear. These are intermediate to soft tires that hook up well in the sand and pea gravel and will hang together in the rocks (sharp rocks can cause the knobs to break off though). They also wear pretty well.

Another tire that I've heard is good but haven't used is the Pirelli Scorpion. Make sure you don't buy any hard terrain tires as they will suck in the sand.
    Paul

Stuff the two strokes. Joined the four stroke club.

Comment

I am a big fan of the Michelin M12 rear and S12 fronts, they work well in the gravel and sand. I have heard very good reviews of the Pirelli's too
      my pics

Comment

I loved pirellis on road bikes, so got some scorpions for the dirty, they were OK, but not very confidence inspiring, when the rear was shagged I got an M12 and the bike is so much better now for the riding we do (hills) can't comment on the Michelin fronts but the pirelli scropion MS ( I think ) is doing the job just fine.
        I'll probably give the Michelin a go up front next though just to see what it's like.

The Scorpion next to the michelin was so much wider and flatter in it's profile ( for the same 130 section ) which is probably where the main improvement has come from in my case.

Both the scorpion and M12 stood up well to rocks etc. - no missing knobs or big chunks taken out.

I think I paid around 220 -250 fitted for the pair of scorpions,
        I'll be buying tyres from the US next time around and fitting them myself which I believe is the cheapest way to go.

Comment

S12 front, M12 rear is the business

Comment

I use MX Retreads. They are good value for money and are a good all round tyre for the weekend warrior. I use them in the hard hills around perth and in the sand dunes near lano. 19" rears for my 250 are $80.
            Viva la 2 Stroke!!!

Comment

MX retreads - do they go alright in the soft stuff, or are they just ok .

Do they rip nobblies easy in the hard stuff?

Comment

to the average joe mx retreads are perfect for everyday every condition use . i raced on them for a while with no real complaints , all tires will rip nobblies off in the right conditions

Comment

I had Kenda's put on my FE570 Berg after they were recommended to me and they definately are harder wearing than the originals

Comment

Well I'm no moto racer but I recon they go good all round. Top gear monos in the sand dunes, that seems like a fair amount of grip to me. Haven't ripped any knobs off yet and I've had 3 of em so far. I used to buy itermediate tyers cause I did all round sort of riding but they'd rip to bits in the hills up here in a couple of rides.
                    Viva la 2 Stroke!!!

Comment

anyone know which nor dealer has the best prices for the MX retreads

Comment

Geat feedback, thanks guys.
                        Love the legend, Kawasaki Z 900/ Z 1000, the Mother of all Big Kawas!
                        sigpic
                        2007 ZRX 1200R
                        1977 Z 1000 A1
                        http://www.bikepics.com/members/cruelcheffy/

Comment

S12's front and back only!

Comment

Working...
                          X