MX boots versus road boots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MX boots versus road boots?

Bit of a noob question but what are the benefits of mx boots over road boots? Is it a dumb idea to wear road boots dirt biking?

i have a pair of road boots and i'm looking to do some off road riding for a short holiday in the near future. should i buy mx boots or will my road boots suffice?

Dirt bike boots will have more stronger toe box construction and much better ankle support. Not too many big trailside rocks to smash your feet into on the street.

Road bike boots in the dirt would be better than thongs or sand shoes though. If the dirt ride isn't going to be too gnarly, I'd just wear the roadies and take it easy.

You can buy brand new dirt bike boots for 150 bucks.

How much do you value your feet and your mobility?
    Paul

Stuff the two strokes. Joined the four stroke club.

Comment

If you don't have mx boots is it safe to assume you don't have anything else? Chest protectors, helmet , goggles, gloves, knee braces, kidney belt etc. Coz I don't go riding without that gear and from the sounds of things I've probably got a better idea of riding on dirt than you do.

Comment

Extreme motocycles in forrestfield have Oneal mx boots for about $150 and a heap of other Well priced gear to get you kitted out.

Comment

Just remember road bike boots usually have fuckall grip on gravel. Good to have when you are trying to pickup a bike by yourself.
          You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

If you are not going for a while you could order some online for even less.

It's worth having good gear when you come off offroad - minimum for me would be proper gloves - more flexible than road gloves / better ventilation too , Dirtbike Helmet - the visor sheild your eyes from sun / rocks, pants - lots of padding in the sides / rear, boots - as stated above, and a kidney belt - do not ride without one!!! esp if you plan to do it on a regular basis or long trips - otherwise you can get blood in the mix and also toxic shock to your body as all you urine leaks out into the surrounding tissue...

Body armour is good if you plan on being a bit stupid / want to be overly cautious / are inexperienced etc - personally it makes me fatigue earlier due to increased heat and weight and restricts movement somewhat, in that manner it can be safer to ride without it. I must admit that in my earlier years riding dirtbikes and BMX i did get good at crashing - specifically rolling out of them, which helps more than the armour.

Yep it costs alot, I ordered mine online from motocrossgiant.com - got the equivalent of $450 worth of gear at local prices for $250 - with the dollar being much stronger now it will be even better - 2-3 week wait though.

Comment

My first time out I wore Icon Accelerant boots (short street boots) and I think I broke my foot when I came off (that, or a sprain that took 3 months to heal). Had the real gear the next time and not so much as a scratch.

What I had the first time:
              Full face road helmet with safety glasses underneath (lol, saved my face though)
              Mesh overpants (saved me from a burn/gravel rash)
              Short boots (twisted backwards under the bike, not much help)
              Mesh jacket (saved me gravelrash and sore elbows/shoulder)
              Light duty gloves (light duty protection)

Got a bit fucked up.

Second time:
              Dirt helmet
              Goggles
              Armour (cheap kit from Dubs)
              Proper boots (Thor Quadrant, $130)
              Kneeguards (ask Kenty)
              Same light gloves
              Jeans
              Camelback

Total cost maybe $250-$300 (with a basic neckbrace that I left at home too). Much more comfortable and home unscathed. Everything performed fine in a very low speed drop (fucking gullies are my nemesis). Next purchase will be a more serious set of armour.

I'd say a full size (up the calf) road boot would be fine though.
              Originally posted by JIM.55
              knowlage dosnt always trumph

Comment

thanks for the replies guys. will definitely be wearing all the other gear, just wanted to see if the road boots would fair well.. think i'll give them a crack instead of buying new ones!

Comment

I used a pair of Sidi road bike boots and found them a too slippery when in the dirt and when standing up on the pegs they lost their grip , a bit dangerous ,yes but better than no protection , i think its the composite rubber being different and the thickness of the sole as i could feel the pegs thru the boots

Regards Dazza

Comment

Originally posted by karri View Post
                    If you don't have mx boots is it safe to assume you don't have anything else? Chest protectors, helmet , goggles, gloves, knee braces, kidney belt etc. Coz I don't go riding without that gear and from the sounds of things I've probably got a better idea of riding on dirt than you do.
                    Where about are they in Forrestfield? My junior just started out and uses my old road boots. Since I don't know if he sticks with it I don't want to spend a lot of money on new boots.
                    Love the legend, Kawasaki Z 900/ Z 1000, the Mother of all Big Kawas!
                    sigpic
                    2007 ZRX 1200R
                    1977 Z 1000 A1
                    http://www.bikepics.com/members/cruelcheffy/

Comment

Extreme motorcycles is on Dundas Rd, take Berkshire Rd off Roe Hwy and they are in amongst the industrial area, I think they have a website also so you can check some prices before heading out there.

Comment

Originally posted by craig73 View Post
                        Extreme motorcycles is on Dundas Rd, take Berkshire Rd off Roe Hwy and they are in amongst the industrial area, I think they have a website also so you can check some prices before getting thoroughly ripped off and screwed over.
                        Fixed.
                        One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

Thanks, will check it out. Not far from work near the Airport.
                          Love the legend, Kawasaki Z 900/ Z 1000, the Mother of all Big Kawas!
                          sigpic
                          2007 ZRX 1200R
                          1977 Z 1000 A1
                          http://www.bikepics.com/members/cruelcheffy/

Comment

Wear the equivalent of what you wear when on the road; decent boots, gloves, helmet and at the least sturdy fabrics and any other supplementary protection. If you're not wearing that much on the road stop being a squid and start doing so.

Originally posted by out_in_front View Post
                            I must admit that in my earlier years riding dirtbikes and BMX i did get good at crashing - specifically rolling out of them
                            +1 this is handy to know

Comment

You ought to try getting a boot in my size (15 4EE) in any boot - I ride mototrials which is a different boot to MX. Found a pair of Oxtar that work OK for trials and casual MX rides but just cant seen to get the shifting right on the road bike. Road boots generally only go to size 13 in the shops and 14 on-line - stuffed again
                              In chemistry we learn that alcohol is a solution

Comment

Working...
                              X