Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much would you pay, need your opinion!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much would you pay, need your opinion!

Hi guys,

A few weeks ago my uncle told me to go and get his sons YZ400 running and up to scratch after it sitting there for almost 3 years.. Hadn't even been cleaned since its last outing had 3 years of mud on it

Anyway turns out it was a blocked carby so I pulled out the carby and gave it a good clean and chucked it back in. Started the bike and it hardly ran backfiring and all sorts. So gave it a few revs and the exhaust glowed red.. The exhaust valve must have been stuck open from sitting so long shut it off and ran it for about another 30 secs before it freed up. Now the bike runs smooth and pulls fricken hard compared to my 250 How much damage would this have caused?

The carby was full of greenish sludgy shit everywhere! I also bled the brakes which still hardly work probably seized up, it also needs a new water seal, and may as well do the oil seal while I'm there.

So now he wants to sell it and give me some commission for doing all the work on it. How much would a shop have charged him to get it running and do all of the above work?

How much would he be likely to get offered for it seeing as though all the plastics are in POOR faded half bent missing bolts condition, chain needs replacing, brakes need attention, has a snapped front brake leaver, bent rear brake and gear levers, bent bars, rusty screws and rims from sitting so long? Generally the bike is in poor condition..

And also I was tossing up the idea of buying it off him and sell it down the track after I get the hang of it and upgrade (it will be my first dirtbike)

Sounds like he mightn't get that much for it anyway, you could rind a mechanic and ask for a quote for the work you have just outlined, though it sounds like there is quite a bit of work to be done on it

Comment

what year model? Could be a good value project for $1500 if it's under 10 years old, depends what you want to pay and how much he wants for it, give him a list of what needs to be done before sale and he might agree to a fair cash offer.
      Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

pretty sure its 98 or 99 How can you tell?

Comment

Pics might help I guess

Comment

Looks like a 2003 or maybe 2002 yz426f in that condition it's worth jack, maybe 1500 or so, chuck dome new plastics and stickers on it for a couple of hundred and fix the few problems and it would be worth 3k or so

Comment

Definetly a 400

Comment

A 1998 model YZ400F will be a collectors bike in the future. Probably at least another 10 years but it was the first of the new generation four strokes and sounded the death knell for the two stroke. Hang onto it.
                Paul

Stuff the two strokes. Joined the four stroke club.

Comment

I'm assuming it can't be registered? It would make an awesome motard if it could
                  Originally posted by Desmo
                  Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

I'd buy it just for the Dead Kennedy's sticker. What made this 4 stroke so special as to 'death knell' the 2-stroke?
                    Whatcha gonna do? Rap is not afraid of you
                    Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono

Comment

Originally posted by devolved View Post
                      I'd buy it just for the Dead Kennedy's sticker. What made this 4 stroke so special as to 'death knell' the 2-stroke?
                      Nothing. it was only that the "big four" didn't want to waste money on 2 stroke development for such a small market anymore that they started phasing them out. Last of the 2 strokes will be much more collectable.

to the OP. the cost of the work by a professional mechanic is probably more than the bike is worth.

Comment

Charge him a carton, and let him know he owes you a favour in return. I've found that's the best way to deal with family, instead of counting dollars.
                        For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                        For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Given I just sold my wr426 02' for $2500, and it was hard to sell, the yz would push $2000 if it was in good nick these days. And if the top or bottom end in the 400 goes it's big $ as they're ain't much aftermarket stuff for them. It won't be worth anything as a collectable in the next decade I reckon.
                          Lost and on reserve

Comment

A carton & handshake

Comment

Working...
                            X