Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best 250 road trail all rounder to get?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best 250 road trail all rounder to get?

Hello

Have been looking at 250 road trail bikes but are undecided and need some help. The bike will be used 70 / 30 road / offroad. Looking at around 5k second hand..

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers.

what is your maintenance budget and mechanical skill level etc?

if both are limited go the Honda XR250, Suzuki DRZ250, Kawasaki KLX250 or Yamaha TTR250 they're more 50/50 style bikes but good all round.

if you're good with tools and have some free flowing cash now and then for more regular maintenance my choice would be the Yamaha WR250 or Honda CRF250, but they may be hard to find late model in your budget.
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

cheers mate

have been looking at some of the models you suggested. What are these bikes like to ride on road a lot of the time? Are they comfortable or are they a bit awkward?

Comment

if you're planning to commute the oil/air cooled low maintenance but lower powered bikes are the way to go, an oil change here and there and a long time between major services.

the higher powered WR and CRF are much more fun for blast and turn and handle heaps better offroad but can be a bit twitchy on the road, major service is a lot more regular and oil changes end up weekly or monthly even on short commutes, all depends on your budget and how much you can do yourself.

the seats are narrow and can get uncomfortable within an hour, they feel high off the ground, you'll have to test ride to know if it's really what you want.

Comment

your right, the XR DRZ KLX TTR are all good all rounders, road / trail, like it says on the tin. The WRF CRF, a lot more fun but a dirt weapon not built for riding on blacktop. Your tyre choice is gonna make heaps of difference to the comfort/handling of your ride. Run road biased tyres if thats where you gonna spend most of your time.
          If you can find one at the right money the WR250R would be worth a look, its a road version of the WRF which dosen't mind a bit of off road at the weekend.

Comment

2007 KLX250 | Motorcycles | Gumtree Australia Canning Area - Parkwood

this was my old bike, awesome commuter and decent in the bush too, the initial smirks from my mates on their wr's and ktm 250exc's soon disappeared when they couldnt shake me on our roleystone/karagullen loop, the fact that mine never had to be opened up or comply with ridiculous maintenance schedlues was the icing on the cake. I dropped the oil every 500 km, oil and filter every 1000 (which is over the top but just couldnt help it after owning a yz450f and doing oil and filter after 5hrs), cleaned air filter after every dusty or muddy off road ride. i'd buy it back but would be sleeping with it in the shed when the missus found out. comfy as to ride, it had the nickname of "the couch" :p
            F@#k the whales... Save the 2 strokes!!!

Comment

How much are the dr's new? The 650 can be gotten for under 8k brand new

Well last I looked anyways
              Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

the drz250 was $7990 when it came out in 2001

being a suzuki it would have gone down rather than up.

Comment

Originally posted by Hudsonian View Post
                  If you can find one at the right money the WR250R would be worth a look, its a road version of the WRF which dosen't mind a bit of off road at the weekend.
                  the wr250r doesn't share anything common with the wr250f, completely different everything.
                  Good bike - long service intervals (~5000km oil change and 40,000km valve clearance check) makes decent enough power, is smooth on the road and has a 6 speed box.
                  Great all rounder but a little expensive - only been in production since 2008.

Comment

Working...
                  X