No announcement yet.

How can i repair a dented header pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can i repair a dented header pipe?

Morning all.

I'll do my best to get some photos up later on if it would help, but what i need some advice on is how i can knock out a ding in the header pipe of my WR450.

It's on the bend of the pipe and so far the only suggestion i've had from some guys is to heat it up, then suff it with sand to push it out (lots of time and effort).

So any suggestions welcome, but if it's going to be bigger than Benjamin i'll be buying a new one.

Cheers and beers
    Kale

Your only suggestion is the exact one I was going to say...

You could weld a bolt on a make a slide hammer and heat it to pull the dent out...

But the first suggestion is easier and neater...

Or cut and shut...

Comment

weld on a pin then use a big arse pair of pliers to pull it back out again? Same thing they do for dents in car bodies.
      For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
      For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Oh yeah that's a thought.

Comment

aah, slide hammer, I was trying to think what they were called. Thanks Rich
          For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
          For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Depends on wall thickness though for all of the options, as if it's too thin you risk blowing through welding, but plugging and water freeze will work a treat (need a big enough freezer hehe) Too thick and you need a shit load of strength to pull it out and be able to hold pipe in place while you pull it!
            But Rich's suggestion of a slide hammer will work with patience

Due to the shape and size there is a lot of strength in that small pipe!
            Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

Originally posted by Martin Luther King Jnr
            One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
            . .

Comment

Aso, it's an aftermarket pipe. At a guess i'd say around 1.5 inches in diameter. That's a guess without having the bike here.

Like i said, when i knock off i'll try and get some pics at home in case there's an easier solution that i'm missing.

Comment

find a bit of timber and sort of gouge a profile into it so the header pipe sort of fits (talking rough! here, i used a grinder with a tile cutting blade to shape a block of pine) then drill a large'ish hole in the timber where the dent is. Super glue nut onto pipe, leave for a day then using a threaded rod into the nut, put threaded rod thru the hole, place a bit of steel plate with a hole in it over the rod and another nut pull the bent out. you can heat the pipe from the inside carefully as you do so. The timber helps support the rest of the pipe and concentrate the force.

Comment

If it's aftermarket it will be narrow wall thickness meaning welding be very risky...

But the heat and sand or freezing will do the trick nice n easy

If heating.. heat up a fair area around the dent too by a few inches... too much heat build up in the one spot is no good :-)
                  Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

. .

Comment

Take it off, plug collector end, fill with water, place in freezer overnight. Worked every time I tried it.
                    EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Comment

What do you plug the pipe with...

I like the freezing idea, but your plug needs to be stronger than the dent its pushing out...yeah...

Comment

does it? or does it just have to hold it there untill it freezes. wont the water expand in all directions
                        IM ALWAYS ON THE EDGE, ITS ONLY THE SHARPNESS THAT VARYS

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                          What do you plug the pipe with...
                          I like the freezing idea, but your plug needs to be stronger than the dent its pushing out...yeah...
                          Can be plugged with cork or sealed cell foam (not what you get in cushions)
                          Wadding and gaffer or duct tape should do in a push. Do both ends if you can, but only really neccessary for one end and leave other end pointing up so it doens't drain out - depends on freezer size

Originally posted by MattyA View Post
                          does it? or does it just have to hold it there untill it freezes. wont the water expand in all directions
                          Correct :-)

Once it freezes the plug serves little purpose - there will be some extrusion trying to push the plug out out but there will be sufficient friction further in to allow the pressure to build up on the ding and push it out :-)

. .

Comment

This freezing method sounds like it could be a goer.

Comment

Ahh...

The expansion of frozen water comes after its already solid...yes...

Comment

Working...
                              X