Vtr250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vtr250

Ok here goes. I am officially out of hiding to make my first post!

I am set on buying a vtr as my first bike. The stumbling block is the pricetag! I have been looking for the last month and cannot find one (decent) in my price range ( <4500).

Am I way off the mark here? Or do I just need to be patient?

Thankyou all

Welcome

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...1/#post2226692
    Check out the for sale thread, that one is $4000!

I've seen plenty come up between $3-$4k, it just means you're going to have to take one that's a little bit older/done a few a more kilometres (which personally I think is not a big deal at all, provided the previous owner actually serviced it and looked after it!).

Might be case of watching and waiting - you'll find one at the right price if you keep your eyes out
    I came here to drink milk and kick arse... And I'm all out of milk

Comment

Yeh. Before I even go look at a bike I ask if it has been serviced regularly and ask if there is documentation. The response I always get is "yes, but not documentation" or "my brother services it" or something along those lines. Theres plenty out the for 4k, but none I have even CONSIDERED buying yet!

Tough part is, I have all my gear. I WANT TO RIDE SOMETHING! haha

Comment

Take a mobile mechanic with you. They'll suss it out, saves you having to take risks

Comment

Just keep your eyes open. Got my vtr250 a few years ago for the same price you want. Good luck.

Comment

There are quite a few in the for sale section of this website actually right now.

Comment

Causeway Kawasaki had one for 4500 a few weeks back. I dare say its gone now tho
              try tradingpost.com.au and gumtree etc regularly.
              Originally posted by Desmogod
              Nobody was bagging scooters, they were bagging you.

Comment

I got my '05 VTR for $3800... Couple of minor knocks and scratches... Took my uncle who is a mechanic to check it out. If you don't know bikes, take someone who does! Otherwise you may end up with a lemon...

Comment

cmon though, are there any lemon VTRs?

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteNoize View Post
                    Haha. This is why the bike appeals to me. Ive heard nothing but good. And also because its naked, so any drops wont be too badly punished.

However, I like the ZZR250's. What are the actual chances of me dropping my bike? Ive heard everyone does it, hence the reason I dont want a faired bike. But the faired bikes I can get quite cheaper!

Comment

fairings can be bought for like $300 on ebay or just plastic weld them.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteNoize View Post
                        Not unless they've been abused... But its possible...

Comment

Originally posted by bigsmalls09 View Post
                          Haha. This is why the bike appeals to me. Ive heard nothing but good. And also because its naked, so any drops wont be too badly punished.

However, I like the ZZR250's. What are the actual chances of me dropping my bike? Ive heard everyone does it, hence the reason I dont want a faired bike. But the faired bikes I can get quite cheaper!
                          If you like the ZZR, get one. You can pick them up so cheap, and they are actually quite a good bike! I have lots of friends that have them and love them.
                          You could probably get a decent one for $3k which would leave you plenty of money for gear.

If you're a girl, chances of dropping your bike are probably higher than they are for a guy (from what I hear and see anyway). I know plenty of people who don't drop their bikes. If you're worried, just buy a bike that already has a few dings in it. Bonus is that you'll pick it up a lot cheaper as a result!

The fairings on my bike are seriously banged up - so when I dropped it (the first and only time!), it wasn't half as traumatic as it would have been had the bike previously been unscathed

And it's like Frogger said - cheap fairings on eBay are available anyway. If you have your license, take the ZZR and VTR for test rides, see which you like more

Comment

Ive got the gear. Just need a bike. The $300 fairings would still be quite expensive for me being at uni . But hey, i guess i cant be worried about what COULD happen. I could also get run into by a bus and die! so why get a motorbike?

I think the ZZR has just come back into serious consideration!

Comment

I'd get the budget to around the $5K mark then put my mindset towards the 05-06 range, heaps of peeps try to sell their '01s for around $4K...pay another grand to get one 4-5 years younger i rekon (oh yeah, make sure they have a modded pipe of some sort)

I originally almost picked up an '01 from a dealer with roo pipe sub 30KMS for $3500, ended up knocking down an immaculate '05 with 24KMS with a proper custom pipe original price of $5500 to over a grand off, insurance quoted $5600 as the replacement cost so win+ there. (insurance was $270 for the year full comp)

After making this decision i'm glad i didn't go a sub 2003 model (no tacho) you think you don't need one at the time...

Comment

Working...
                              X