Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT250R finding 1st Gear

Hi guys,

Bit of a newbie question Im sure, but for those of you that own Hyosung's - is it natural to have a problem finding first gear while still moving? It seems I can only engage 1st gear with clutch in when at a complete stop and any other time get a spongey sort of feel. It even is sometimes a little difficult when at a halt.

The other couple of bikes I had rode (Yamaha and Kawasaki Ninja) did not have this issue and seemed to change down fine.

Should I be ringing the dealer and getting them to have a look at it or could it just be because the bike is only a couple of days old?
    Originally posted by devolved
    I did once have a chick yell "Take me with you" as I rode past on my GT250 once, I can only imagine the chick-pulling power of the 650.

There shouldnt ever really be to many reasons to drop into first once moving anyway? Second is ample enough to take off or do slow speed turns. I couldnt be sure but i would assume that the reason it doesnt go into first easily would be for saftey. Dropping back into first would prob cause the bike to compression lock up at most speeds.
    Just do it. Seriously, if you look up the standing rules of PSB it goes something like this.

1. Dont be a dick
    2. Desmo is allowed to be a dick (sometimes)
    3. Buy the one with the most Duke
    4. Dont ask about fixing the search function.
    etc etc..

Comment

Oh sorry missed that part about it being practically brand new......

Don't mess with the chain and oil obviously and just use 2nd.
      Last edited by Gippo; 30-03-2011, 11:52 PM.
      Its all good on Ducati's

Comment

Originally posted by spudda View Post
        There shouldnt ever really be to many reasons to drop into first once moving anyway? Second is ample enough to take off or do slow speed turns. I couldnt be sure but i would assume that the reason it doesnt go into first easily would be for saftey. Dropping back into first would prob cause the bike to compression lock up at most speeds.
        I do it all the time and gently ease out the clutch whilst giving it blips to spool up. No real reason to do it other than boredom....
        Its all good on Ducati's

Comment

I just hold in the clutch and stomp on it until it clicks!... ... Just kiddin'. Stay out of first unless taking off. Mine is the same, I'm guessing its a HYO-FIGHTER thing.
          Whatcha gonna do? Rap is not afraid of you
          Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono

Comment

Yeah its more for gearing down for O-turns in my test (which I have been told to do in first gear).
            I know prctically you shouldn't have to do it hardly at all (if ever) but if it was an issue I would have liked to get it checked.

Devolved - thanks - just wanted to make sure it wasnt just my bike...

Told you all it would be an easily answered newbie question
            I did once have a chick yell "Take me with you" as I rode past on my GT250 once, I can only imagine the chick-pulling power of the 650.

Comment

Well looking through the bike lists we all have HYO's! Well untill sat as ive just sold mine. Roll on big bike time! 15 days!

But yeah i only ever use first for taking off.
              Just do it. Seriously, if you look up the standing rules of PSB it goes something like this.

1. Dont be a dick
              2. Desmo is allowed to be a dick (sometimes)
              3. Buy the one with the most Duke
              4. Dont ask about fixing the search function.
              etc etc..

Comment

Erm, do you mean as in dropping down to first when coming to a stop eg. at the lights? With your clutch in? Because yes, that would a problem. A pretty big problem actually. And apart from that, if you come to a stop and put right foot down to changed gears you will fail test (lose points everytime until fail).
                Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground...

Comment

Yep sounds like a problem to me. I owned a new Hyo GT250 and it never had that problem. I always drop in to first as I am rolling to a stop on any bike. I drop in to first gear all the time on my 1200 for roundabouts and low speed corners, I'm curious now about whether other riders use first like that.

Comment

it happens on my instructor's bike (yamaha scorpio) quite frequently. it's happened on my GT250R on the rare occasion, but it's not anything that worries me. once stationary, easing the clutch gently to the friction point always makes it click into gear.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedRex View Post
                      Yep sounds like a problem to me. I owned a new Hyo GT250 and it never had that problem. I always drop in to first as I am rolling to a stop on any bike. I drop in to first gear all the time on my 1200 for roundabouts and low speed corners, I'm curious now about whether other riders use first like that.
                      Occasionally I'll drop the R1 into 1st (usually walking it through a roundabout on a WSR), but I find 2nd waaaay smoother, and is my preference for low speed stuff. The CBR600 is way too twitchy in 1st, so it's always 2nd for low speed walking.

Comment

Ok thanks for the help...secondary question then - you think it's worth getting it seen asap - or leave it til 1000km service and see if it loosens up/ fixes itself??

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Hoon View Post
                          No real reason to do it other than boredom....
                          Spudda, didnt you get the memo, dropping first is what the cool kids do.. Way to cool for me though!

I had the same problem with mine. I also had a lot of trouble getting into neutral when stationary.. What the problem was for mine was the clutch lever was too loose and even by pulling it completely in, it wasn't dis-engaging the clutch enough for a smooth change. I was very new to bikes so it was a bit worrying for me but if this is the case, its a 30second fix for the dealer. If you only bought it recently from the dealer, I would just ride past there as soon as your free and atleast make them aware of the problems your having.
                          Does my aftershave smell like chloroform?

Comment

What ASB said. How many kms you got on it now? I would take it in ASAP, if your just learning to ride you dont need problems in your bike distracting you. Could be the difference in pulling out of the lights or getting cleaned up by non stopping car behind you when it stalls in second. Could be doing damage too if its the clutch not disengaging. They put a first gear in it for a reason, you should always ride the gears in the right rev/ speed range- I cant stand those people who up gears too soon- cant you hear the engine choking to death?!

And you wont get compression lock up if you drop it into first while moving, I do it all the time if Im coming in slow waiting for light change, or car to go etc- slow racing! Although I wouldnt try it at 100kms, this bike is VERY forgiving so dont stress about that.

Lol at Kristy, doesnt first gear on an R1 come with a free world record?! Compared to a Hyo Im pretty sure it does....
                            Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground...

Comment

just feather the clutch out at bite point when doing it, should drop in then.
                              Our Father, Who art at Phillip Island, Hallowed be thy name
                              Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done
                              In the backroads as it is on the freeway
                              Give us this day our high-octane premium fuel
                              And forgive us our lanesplitting
                              As we forgive the four wheel drives, the volvos and the taxis
                              And lead us not into gravel corners
                              But deliver us from hand-held radars
                              For thine is thy leather, thy denim, thy Gore-Tex and thy Kevlar
                              Amen ORIGINAL POST BY DEB

Comment

Working...
                              X