Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 ZXR250C exhaust gaskets

Hi guys,

was wondering if anyone knew if you could renew them? I thought they were a copper gasket which could be reused once you clean em up a bit and then heat them up and get them back to their original shape (anneal it)???

thoughts??

Thanks

Sherman
    Sherman

"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

They're not a rare or high dollar item, I'm not really seeing the point when you can pick up new ones for a couple of bucks each
    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Yeah I was thinking the same thing but I like to keep the costs of the project down that's all.
      Sherman

"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

Comment

Anyone have some first hand experience?
        Sherman

Comment

Barfridge is wise. New ones should be under $20 for the set including shipping if you can't get them cheaper locally.

but if you really feel you must take the extremely cheap option....

You can't get them back to their original shape. The rings when new are formed from spherical/tubular metal.
          When you put new ones on the bike cold, you tighten up the bolts as much as you can on the header and start the bike up... fair bit of exhaust 'smoke' starts streaming out even though you can't see gaps, but once the engine warms up the gaskets become very malleable and you can tighten bolts PLENTY more... which is why yours are now very flat.

If you're going to use the same ones, I'd consider using some sort of high temp gasket cement (which will prob cost you $10 anyway). You could try without by just trying to tighten a lot more once the engine has been at operating temp for a couple of minutes.

You'll know if it doesn't work from the smoke streaming out around the headers.

Or by the way the bolt keeps on turning after you've threaded it from applying too much torque on an already compressed gasket.

Comment

I'm looking at them and was just thinking of the potential to strip the threads on an already ageing block. New ones it is then. Thanks for the opinions.
            Sherman

Comment

Working...
            X