This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official LAMS general discussion thread

So does anyone know if this LAMS thing in WA is actually happening? or just a rumor as of now?
    Work to ride, and ride to work.

Originally posted by Groz View Post
    So does anyone know if this LAMS thing in WA is actually happening? or just a rumor as of now?
    May I suggest using the search function, this has been covered plenty on here.

Comment

Oh, ok will do cheers.

Comment

Muppet Show. Robin the Frog - Over the Rainbow (s03e07) - YouTube
        Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

yes, it will eventually surface here.

but there is an state election early next year.

those that make descions will be buzy huckering down, licking ass and kissing babies to save their seats and super for when they retire.

my prognosis for lams in wa? mid to late 2013.

anyone want to buy my zzr250

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

It's good to have regular updates for LAMS, I'm hanging out for it to come to fruition...here's hoping it comes this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Groz View Post
              From the latest newsletter on the changes (December);

Learner approved motorcycle scheme and a power-to-weight classification

Regulatory changes are required to implement the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS) in Western Australia.

To this end, continuous progress is being made in completing the precursory administrative work. Progress is on schedule.
              Keep looking here for updates;
              Review of motorcycle rider training & licensing system
              Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

Thanks Darkfibre, for that info, much appreciated, I've now subscribed to the news letter,

Comment

Yeah thanks mate, Appreciate it

Comment

Originally posted by Blueiis View Post
                    It's good to have regular updates for LAMS, I'm hanging out for it to come to fruition...here's hoping it comes this year.
                    :O nooooo. It can come after sept, i dont give a shit then because ill be on my R's, but for now, 2013 sounds good to me
                    "I remember the first time I got my knee down on a track, it was like the first time I put my winkle inside a girl, I just wanted to tell all my mates."
                    Keith Flint, The Prodigy.

Comment

So what's the most powerful 250cc 4-stroke bike that's currently in production and sold locally?

Because the one real way to get LAMS passed (and I don't disagree with it) is to supply a supercharger kit that makes a tuned 250 comparable to a 600 supersport.
                      I was the best, you all knew it / on the days I cared at all
                      You can all say I blew it / you'll be talkin 'bout me for years

Comment

Yeah i still dont quite understand the logic behind it. Like, your allowing learners and noobie riders out there on bigger bikes. Even though the power : weight ratio is below the limit, they will still have a higher top speed and rate of acceleration, so they are more likely to kill themselves? Idk, just the way i see it
                        "I remember the first time I got my knee down on a track, it was like the first time I put my winkle inside a girl, I just wanted to tell all my mates."

Comment

Originally posted by Towlybear View Post
                          Yeah i still dont quite understand the logic behind it. Like, your allowing learners and noobie riders out there on bigger bikes. Even though the power : weight ratio is below the limit, they will still have a higher top speed and rate of acceleration, so they are more likely to kill themselves? Idk, just the way i see it
                          Well no (technically, although yes I agree with the sentiment) the problem is that acceleration is governed by power : weight+drag, while top speed is governed by power : drag.

That's why any remotely self-respecting sports car can give a 600cc bike a run for its money in terms of top speed, but any decent 250cc bike can beat most cars to 80km/h.

Comment

Yeah i wasn't too sure on my logic there but i posted it to see if people corrected me. But surely a bike with a bigger displacement would have a higher top speed? But besides that, as i said before, keep the learners on the 250's

Comment

Originally posted by Towlybear View Post
                              Yeah i wasn't too sure on my logic there but i posted it to see if people corrected me. But surely a bike with a bigger displacement would have a higher top speed? But besides that, as i said before, keep the learners on the 250's
                              You're absolutely right, for engines of the same specific power, bigger engine = higher top speed. That said, LAMS spec 600+cc bikes are not of the same spec that the 250cc screamers are.

A CBR250RRRRRRRR has enough power to get a lighter rider in real trouble, whereas say a SV650 (for a 60kg rider) is slower than a zx2r or cbr250rr. Basically, if I weigh 100kg and my friend weighs 50kg he shouldn't be allowed to buy a bike that has twice the acceleration of mine, because he'll kill himself while I struggle to keep up.

Comment

Working...
                              X