X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ultimate Definitive LAMS Thread

Is LAMS here yet?

YES

Does anyone know when LAMS is actually coming?

January 14th, 2013

See here for more info - Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS)

New for a little FAQ section, I'll add to this from good questions in the thread.

Q. What bike can I ride?
    A. Any 250cc bike except the sporty 2-strokes, plus this list - http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...proved_MC_.pdf

Q. Which 250cc 2-strokes are excluded?
    A.
    • Aprila - RS250
    • Honda - NSR250
    • Kawasaki - KR250 (KR-1 and KR1s models)
    • Suzuki - RGV250
    • Yamaha - TZR250

Q. But I have an R-E licence and one of those 2-stroke bikes, what can I do?
    A. You have 12 months to get your R class licence, otherwise you won't be able to ride it. If you want to keep riding on your R-E after Jan 14th 2014 you will need a LAMS complaint bike.

Q. When I go for my R class test, will I be able to be sneaky and use a traditional learner school bike like a GS500?
    A. No, when you go for your big bike test the bike is not allowed to be LAMS compliant. So that means it needs to be over 660cc OR have more than 150kW/ton of power.

Q. I already have my R-E licence, do I need to do anything to be able to ride a bike bigger than 250cc?
    A. No, as of 14/1 you can ride any LAMS bike you like

Last edited by Barfridge; 28-07-2013, 02:23 PM.
    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Some guy from the MRA reckons we will hear an announcement in January 2013, but I heard is was definitely happening on June 30, 2012.

So time will tell, PSB will keep you updated, no need to stress.
    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

so the guy from the MRA was right, and LAMS is here.

I'll keep updating the first post with any relevant info

Comment

So I guess we can stop discussing it all the time now?? As in, all the info is there in black and white?

Hoorah!

Comment

Originally posted by Barfridge View Post
          Q. What bike can I ride?
          A. Any 250cc bike except the sporty 2-strokes, plus this list - http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...pproved_MC.pdf
          The very first line of that document proves interesting:
          All motorcycles build before December 1960 are approved.

As I read it that is irrespective of engine size!? So my old man who only has an R-E licence will be able to ride a Harley Panhead without needing to get an R class license now?

Comment

Originally posted by El Skitzo View Post
            The very first line of that document proves interesting:
            All motorcycles build before December 1960 are approved.

As I read it that is irrespective of engine size!? So my old man who only has an R-E licence will be able to ride a Harley Panhead without needing to get an R class license now?
            Provided its under 660cc.

Comment

Originally posted by Aufitt View Post
              Provided its under 660cc.
              Ah ok my mistake, should have read both documents not just one...

Comment

Feel free to delete once answered. I can't find the information on any of the LAMS fact sheets, and their website doesn't mention this specifically anywhere I can find.

Q: Will learner riders be able to ride unaccompanied/without a shadow on LAMS?

A: ?

Comment

I'm still a tad confused.

What's the process to upgrade to an unrestricted bike for the new LAMS peoples?

Is it still - ride a LAMS bike for one year and then take another test on an unrestricted bike?
                  Don't listen to a word I say, hey, the screams all sound the same!

Comment

Originally posted by Petro(v) View Post

Is it still - ride a LAMS bike for one year and then take another test on an unrestricted bike?
                    Yes. Same as it was before still practical assessment no automatic graduation, just the R bike has changed to be above 150kW/Tonne or greater than 660cc engine capacity
                    Originally posted by Rich...
                    You got me in trouble...

Comment

Originally posted by crowtribe View Post
                      Feel free to delete once answered. I can't find the information on any of the LAMS fact sheets, and their website doesn't mention this specifically anywhere I can find.

No - you will still need to adhere to current learning conditions, just the bike is the only change.
                      Originally posted by Rich...
                      You got me in trouble...

Comment

Originally posted by crowtribe View Post

as a learner on a learners permit no, once they obtain the RE qualification yes.

Originally posted by Petro(v) View Post
                        I'm still a tad confused.

What's the process to upgrade to an unrestricted bike for the new LAMS peoples?

yes there is still a test to pass before full R class is obtained, i'm still trying to find confirmation but they were also supposedly removing the R class learners for RE riders loophole and you actually get stuck with a learner bike for a year.....
                        Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Originally posted by Barfridge View Post
                          Q. I already have my R-E licence, do I need to do anything to be able to ride a bike bigger than 250cc?
                          A. No, as of 14/1 you can ride any LAMS bike you like
                          So me having my R/E for a couple months now can go buy a bigger bike and legally ride it after the 14th jan 2013, and still go for my R class test before as long as its before 14 jan 2014?

Comment

Cheers Filbert.

I'd say so danmac.
                            Don't listen to a word I say, hey, the screams all sound the same!

Comment

Originally posted by danmac View Post
                              So me having my R/E for a couple months now can go buy a bigger bike and legally ride it after the 14th jan 2013, and still go for my R class test before as long as its before 14 jan 2014?

Yes, but heh you might as well stay on the bike you have, why throw more money away?

Comment

Working...
                              X