Honda Hornet 250 - believe the hype?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda Hornet 250 - believe the hype?

Recently licensed and just got in the market to buy my first bike. Most of my experience so far has been on a 250 Ninja which made me pretty sure I'm not interested in a bigger fully faired bike as an everyday ride - not having a dig just not my style but obviously will check out everything when it comes time for an open bike.

Stumbled across a 250 Hornet for sale and have taken it for a test ride (and put in an offer which was accepted). Felt great and took to the bike immediately. Haven't been able to find anything but very positive reviews online.

Just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with one and what their thoughts are. Thanks!

Two points spring to mind:
    * you've already made an offer that's been accepted
    * you'll upgrade in 12 months from whatever you buy now
    There are very few bikes you can't have fun on (well, I sold a WeeStrom after owning it for about a week), so get off the review sites and go ride the thing.

Comment

When you get your full licence add another 650cc's to the hornet, one of the best bikes you'll ever own ^_^
      Originally posted by CBRsairz
      assume nothing Macca, I've totally been cockblocked before :spiteful:

Comment

It's a 250, it has 40hp, you own it.

What's left to ask?

P.S. Lots of people think they don't want an open-class bike. I don't know a single person who hasn't changed their mind after riding one.
        Originally posted by Dragunov-21
        If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

Comment

Did ride it, and it was great - hence making an offer based on a 10-15 min test ride.. Was reading reviews while awaiting seller to be available to view it.

And yea, so far the 900 is in contention when I can upgrade. Will upgrade as soon as possible, but family commitments come first so will probably ride this for a couple of years.

Seems like a very decent bike for $3k, I'll get pics up this afternoon after I get it home.

Comment

The only "issue" with the hornet is like all the other 4 cylinder 250s, it's about 15-20 years old.

As far as fun factor goes, quality of original equipment, etc., the higher end 250s of that era (the 4 cylinder 4 strokes and the 2 strokes) shit all over what we have today.
            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
              The only "issue" with the hornet is like all the other 4 cylinder 250s, it's about 15-20 years old.

As far as fun factor goes, quality of original equipment, etc., the higher end 250s of that era (the 4 cylinder 4 strokes and the 2 strokes) shit all over what we have today.
              Yea, mine is a 2001. Took it on the Movember ride on the weekend and it was brilliant. There are a few signs of it showing its age but it has plenty of go for a new rider and handles great.

Comment

They're absolutely great bike's to start off with. I also have one, yes its old and no its not the prettiest (mine isn't anyways) and no its not even the fastest 250 out there. But its easy to work on and maintain, the bigger tyres are more expensive but they feel great, it shares body/frame related parts with the 1998 CB600F. It's really easy to ride and pretty comfortable as well. Engine wise it is the same as the CBR250RR (MC22), so parts for that shouldn't be too hard to find as well, its a de-tuned version of it.

I have a .PDF parts booklet that lists all the parts on the bike with their part numbers, if you want it PM me.

Comment

Working...
                X