Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When can I ride an R Class bike?

Hey,

I have read a few conflicting things on here and online so I was hoping someone could clear this up.

Under the LAMS scheme when can I begin to ride an r class bike? Can I do so on an RE license with a shadow, or do I need to apply for the r class license then I can ride with a shadow until the test, or do I need to wait the 12months before applying to 'learn' to ride a r class bike.

I have a couple of months before my 12months so I was wondering when I can step up and learn on a bigger bike.

Once you have an RE you can ride an R class with a shadow, though you still need to apply for the permit before you can go for your test. As far as I know you can apply for your R learners as soon as you have your RE. The strange part is you may be better off not getting your R learners until you are ready for the test as contravening a learners permit is far more serious than making a mistake on your RE (or riding out of class), I don't think it is a big fine or anything, but you do need to go to court for it.

Comment

You can ride with a shadow and your RE acts as your Learners, but you need to pay for a learners to make a booking to sit the prac test, You need to wait 12 months after getting your RE to sit the prac test.

Comment

Originally posted by AliastheJester View Post
        The strange part is you may be better off not getting your R learners until you are ready for the test as contravening a learners permit is far more serious than making a mistake on your RE (or riding out of class), I don't think it is a big fine or anything, but you do need to go to court for it.
        Can you explain contravening the R class learners?

Comment

riding without a shadow will contravene your learners permit

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneville View Post
            riding without a shadow will contravene your learners permit
            Oh right yea, I'm not that daft

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesya View Post
              Oh right yea, I'm not that daft
              If you were to do it, without the learners it is a slap on the wrist, with the learners it is a court appearance. You also have to carry it with you when riding that class of bike, display plates, and any other requirements that it has printed on it.

Comment

Originally posted by AliastheJester View Post
                If you were to do it, without the learners it is a slap on the wrist, with the learners it is a court appearance. You also have to carry it with you when riding that class of bike, display plates, and any other requirements that it has printed on it.
                didnt they make riding out of class the same as riding without a licence? also heard that the officer who pulls you over can have your bike impounded?
                "Insert signature here"

Comment

Originally posted by Kizzer View Post
                  didnt they make riding out of class the same as riding without a licence? also heard that the officer who pulls you over can have your bike impounded?
                  There was a lot of talk, I'm yet to hear of it happening. All the recent cases have been handled in the same way they have for decades. If you were to ride with no license then you'll be in for that sort of pineapple.

Comment

riding out of class is really not worth it jamesya
                    Originally posted by Rich...
                    You got me in trouble...

Comment

Originally posted by Sookie View Post
                      riding out of class is really not worth it jamesya
                      You've changed man...

You used to be cool...

- - - Updated - - -

No wait...no you weren't...

Comment

Yeah listen to Sookie's advice.
                        Wait. What?

Comment

What i want to know is, I was given my RE Provisional Licence and i have had it for 8 months and i have 4 months to go until im off my Green P's... when i leave my Green P's.
                          Can i then apply for my R licence?

Everything i read says you have to wait 1 year before you get your R licence... but 1 year from when? 1 year from when your provisionals start or when your privisionals finish?
                          - XolituDe (Rick)

Comment

1 year from the day you got your RE...

Comment

If you have two months to go, I would apply for your R test asap as there seems to be at least 2 months waiting list for appointments.
                              Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wahoo!! What a ride!"

Comment

Working...
                              X