No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Motard as a starting point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Motard as a starting point?

Hi all,
    I am just starting out with motorcycles and want to build a good foundation in skills while I work my way towards an unrestricted license.
    I am thinking about getting a LAMS motard for my first bike.

What do you old hands think of this?

Will it be a good place to start getting a feel for what the bike is doing underneath me and how it reacts to my actions?

Cheers

Short answer: yes
    Long answer: yes

Comment

Yes...

Light, flickable and forgiving...

Wheelies, stoppies and slides...

Comment

Also - Motards are built tough when compared to a conventional street bike.
        Can take a few knocks without having to fork out (or claim) for fairings/paint jobs.

S.
        Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

D. All of the above

Comment

The only down side is that some are fairly high maintenance, the same as the enduro equivalents. Other than that go for it.

Comment

Whut [MENTION=11235]Kristy[/MENTION] said.

Yes.
              Originally posted by Desmo
              Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

No, get a proper dirtbike

and go crash it on road trail tyres in the first bit of gravel or sand.

Comment

drz400sm or convert drz400e

This is a perfect baby motard for beginner. I am considering getting one myself and keep it even after obtaining full licence.

Comment

Originally posted by ddrtom View Post
                    drz400sm or convert drz400e

This is a perfect baby motard for beginner. I am considering getting one myself and keep it even after obtaining full licence.
                    I tend to agree. For a first bike a WR250X, 400SM or 400E convert is a great choice.
                    Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Keen View Post
                      I tend to agree. For a first bike a WR250X, 400SM or 400E convert is a great choice.

So when are you getting one?
                      Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

Originally posted by Martin Luther King Jnr
                      One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
                      . .

Comment

Originally posted by Shady7/8 View Post
                        So when are you getting one?
                        For a first bike

C*nt.
                        Last edited by Commander Keen; 05-01-2014, 08:47 AM.
                        Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

I dunno, Crashlington started on a WR250 and now he's a dirty no-goodnik

Comment

Pros- light, manoeuvrable, crash-able and can do all the fun big bike stuff like wheelies and stoppers as well as being able to hold good speed around corners where most noobs will lift off.

Cons- limited fuel range unless u run big safari tank (~100-130km a tank), security depending on what bike u get it may not have a locking ignition making theft easy, seats go from not bad to planks of arsehole stinging pain after a couple of hours, power if you go a low maintenance bike it will be down on power if you get a high power bike u also get high maintenance schedule along with it.

I had a wr250x and it was great fun, easy to ride on the fwy an the fuel injection made it start and run nice. Also had a KTM 525 and it was a monster shit loads of power but on the fwy and at speeds over 120kph it sucked.
                            Supermotos are awesome fun for burbs bashing and urban off roading but besides they are not all rounder bikes and both times I found the novelty to quickly wear off.
                            B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

My KTM 640 SM had a range over just over 200 km, it was comfortable enough cruising at 130 kmh, I did some long runs at 150 but the buffeting was a pain, it topped out at 180. Getting sideways and knowing how to crash are worthwhile skills to have. I've had a few pucker moments over the years and the brain just goes into auto and was left wondering how I got out of that. I reckon you won be a safer rider if you spent a couple of years on a supermoto / dirt bike. Hey why not join me in my quest to have them correctly referred to as Supermoto instead of Motard.
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X