To swap or not to swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To swap or not to swap

Is it worth swapping out my 2011 hyosung aquila 250 EFi with 18500km for a 1999 kawasaki Balius zr250 with 29000km on it??
    obviously test ride is a given, but anyone had experiences on one of these, reliability, maintenance etc etc??

No, stick with the 2011 Hyosung, if you are keen to be done with it perhaps think about trading it out on a LAMS bike, or just hang onto it till your ready to swap out to an R bike

your talking about going from a 2 / 3 year old bike to a 14 to 15 year old bike with more k's?

stick to your Hyosung

4 words I never thought i'd ever be saying in the same sentence
    I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

Jeez that Aquila must suck
      if you're prepared to swap for another 250 that's three times as old with nearly twice the k's
      how long till you can get your R's?

(snap !)
      Last edited by somebodyelse; 30-01-2014, 07:17 AM. Reason: great minds?
      Note: this may not be the universe where the above is relevant.

Comment

Heck no. The damage has already been done by buying the Hyosung: stick with it; finish your 12 month R-E stint; sell it to fund an R class bike.
        Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
        1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

The Balius is a really good bike, but IMO you're better off finishing your year and getting an open class bike.

Comment

Keep the Hyo, I'm commuting on one at the moment because the Ducatis are for sale, I've ridden worse, they do the job, just wait til you can afford something bigger or better instead of trying to step back in time.
            Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

The Aquila is a very cruiser style bike, and if that's not your thing I can see why you want out, my wife did the same thing from a Aquila to a zzr250 and loved the change, really depends how much longer you intend being on a 250, and if its worth changing or just wait out the year and upgrade.

Comment

How much fuel is in either bike?

Comment

I had a ZXR250 with similar km's on it (same engine), as long as you run a heap of carby cleaner through the fuel every 5,000kms it ran great, and by great I mean better than any modern 250. Also 18,000rpm sounds awesome!

I would do it esp if you want a sportier bike, but I went from a new Ninja 250 to a 1988 zxr250... what would I know?

Comment

Originally posted by Heretic View Post
                    No, stick with the 2011 Hyosung, if you are keen to be done with it perhaps think about trading it out on a LAMS bike, or just hang onto it till your ready to swap out to an R bike

your talking about going from a 2 / 3 year old bike to a 14 to 15 year old bike with more k's?

stick to your Hyosung

4 words I never thought i'd ever be saying in the same sentence

That.

I hate hyosungs more than the next guy, but you're only going to trade one set of known potential issues (and the later hyos have far less issues than the early ones) for a heap of potential pain and suffering with a 1990s model bike.

12 months isn't long. stick it out, just focus on getting out and riding the bike, whatever it is, as much as possible and worry about swapping to something else when you're stepping up in capacity.

if it's the style of bike, well… maybe. but i wouldn't go buying something 15 years old. there are plenty of relatively cheap bikes that are a few years old like your hyo.
                    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

No.
                      -

Comment

Swap,
                        I've ridden a balius for the past couple of years and she's been one of the most majestic creatures to purr between my legs, atleast the most reliable!

At the end of the day buy a bike that makes you happy. Don't buy things to impress others. And don't be the guy on a 600 that gets out ridden by a guy on a 250.

To answer your question however,
                        I have owned a balius from 30000kms for a couple of years now ridden everyday serviced for chips, it is a very underrated bike. Best 250 around imo! Ask anyone who has owned one I'm sure they'll agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Furio View Post
                          Swap,
                          I've ridden a balius for the past couple of years and she's been one of the most majestic creatures to purr between my legs, atleast the most reliable!

At the end of the day buy a bike that makes you happy. Don't buy things to impress others. And don't be the guy on a 600 that gets out ridden by a guy on a 250.

To answer your question however,
                          I have owned a balius from 30000kms for a couple of years now ridden everyday serviced for chips, it is a very underrated bike. Best 250 around imo! Ask anyone who has owned one I'm sure they'll agree.
                          But have you ridden a hyo?
                          If not how can you say the other,much older bike, is any better?
                          To swap now would be a complete waste of money that it will cost to transfer rego, at least with his much newer hyo he should have many years of hassle free riding. Better the devil you know.
                          Besides as said he only needs to keep the hyo for a little longer then upgrade to a real bike
                          for passing your r-e test see here- http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...-thread-57420/
                          for passing your R class test see here- http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...-thread-97314/
                          for passing your intermediate excel training coarse see here- http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...course-163460/

Comment

Originally posted by Furio View Post
                            Swap,
                            Weirddddd.

Virgin ?
                            2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale
                            2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R x2
                            2012 KAWASAKI ZX6R SUPERSTOCK RACE BIKE (Alive Again!)
                            2009 YAMAHA R6 SUPERSPORT TRACK/RACE BIKE
                            2008 HONDA CBR1000RR SUPERBIKE TRACK/RACE BIKE
                            2012 KAWASAKI NINJA 250 PRODUCTION RACE BIKE

Comment

cheers all, you have pretty much swayed me for now, i do only have 2 months left on my official R E lic, but never intended to upgrade straight away but have decided F*** it get it done and get out there on something decent, thanks all

Comment

Working...
                              X